Blended Mono Speaker.......

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tetrack, Jun 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tetrack

Tetrack Forum Resident Thread Starter

Found this on the Net(link below), for bathrooms -

Sonance Blended Mono Speaker
    Quote -
    'A blended mono speaker that accepts stereo sound and blends both channels to produce a mono output. This is a budget speaker for bathrooms but made to the same high quality as the rest of the Sonance range.'

Are such speakers made for general use, single point 'mono' listening from a stereo signal.

Call me crazy but I like the idea of this :help: .

http://www.hiddenspeakers.com/category.php?id=7

2. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke New Member

You're crazy...

Just kidding. I think the best way to approach this (if a stand-alone system for general use, and not part of a distributed sound system) would be to combine the L/R to mono at line level, and simply use a mono amp or one side of a stereo amp.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Silly; you're pucking up almost all that you are listening to by combining to mono. Stereo can't be folded down like that.

Just go to Wal-Mart and buy a cheap CD boom box; at least you'll still preserve the integrity of the stereo mix.

4. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke New Member

If we're doing our jobs mixing, one decent quality speaker should sound better than anything available at Wal-Crap.

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

As I've talked about many times here, when you fold stereo to mono, what ever is not in the center is lowered by 3 db. That is unacceptable.

6. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

Steve and others: I've found that when playing older Beatles, Beach Boys, Stones, as well as a number of Jazz albums, hitting the mono switch gives me a much nicer listening experience (even when not recorded in Duophonic or fake stereo) at a fraction of the cost of finding nice quality monos. Granted, the original monos are nice, but hard to find. Am I missing out on much of the record?

7. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke New Member

Maybe I'm just responding to an offhand remark or an exaggeration to make a point, but I'd sure rather listen to one decent speaker than any cheap boombox. No dynamics and crappy tonal balance don't help a stereo mix.

8. Tetrack

Tetrack Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, i know it's kinda silly, but fun.
    My old NAD 3020i amp had a mono switch and it helped a lot with hard 60s stereo seperation, which i find it hard to listen to otherwise.
    Also my TV has just a single mono speaker and i sorta like it that way, coming from a single point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.