Blind Melon Soup!!!! I'm so Pumped

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ron Jones, Oct 14, 2016.

1. countingbackward

countingbackward Forum Resident

This is a fantastic album and pressing. Anybody with an interest in 90's rock and who appreciates a recording with big dynamics and natural tonality will enjoy this. It's a bargain at the price it's going for, a better deal than Campbell's soup.

2. SkyblueSky

SkyblueSky Well-Known Member

Analog Spark hit a home run with this reissue of a great album. Talk about a dynamic pressing...

3. BCJaysfan

BCJaysfan Forum Resident

Every time I play this it highlights how underwhelming so much of my 90's collection is.

James Bennett likes this.
  4. Guss2

Guss2 Senior Member

Has anyone been able to do a comparison of the limited edition to the standard black vinyl edition?

5. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident

Was supposed to see Blind Melon in the states with some friends. Shannon passed just weeks before the concert. A true rock tragedy.

6. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Same everything... same wonderful sound, same deadwax inscriptions, same great packaging... Well, not everything... the soup color vinyl is nicer. :)

Guss2 likes this.
  7. Guss2

Guss2 Senior Member

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll get the black just to satisfy the completest in me.

mick_sh likes this.
  8. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Im playing this for the first time, sounds great! Anyone else find they have to crank it a little more than usual?

When you do though, it sounds superb so no complaints. I guess this is a lengthy record...

Grow Fins likes this.
  9. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

Reissue of the year for me, hands down.

Grow Fins, Vinyl Addict and Batman21 like this.
  10. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

finally, FINALLY got my hands on this absolute gem! not cheap (£35 Amazon UK) but everything about this package is top drawer. so pumped to have this on wax! sounds absolutely amazing, as I'm sure my elderly neighbours will agree!

at last, it's time to retire my copied cassette tape...

11. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

Received an email from Music on Vinyl this morning that listed this as an upcoming release. No further info at the moment.

12. MyOwnWorstEnemy

MyOwnWorstEnemy Senior Member

The bar was set pretty high by the Analog Spark reissue. MOV is going to have a hard time bettering it.

garrincha, Ryan_Pretzel and Mr Mojo like this.
  13. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

That's right. MoV, come on, don't waste your time. What we need is Alice in Chains S/T double LP with translucent yellow and purple colored vinyl.

14. MyOwnWorstEnemy

MyOwnWorstEnemy Senior Member

...an official reissue of Facelift would be nice also.

mick_sh, Mr Mojo and FourWalledWorld like this.
  15. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Music on vinyl has no chance. I haven't been that impressed with some of their reissues lately. Don't get me wrong, they can do some exceptional stuff....but you have to be very selective and it's usually from plates they didn't cut themselves or digital recordings.

Analog Spark did this cut from tape. Getting that one makes a lot more sense.

Ryan_Pretzel likes this.
  16. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Very strange that MOV would release this so soon after what has to be considered the definitive copy of this record by Analog Sparks. I don't see it being bettered, unless it is also being cut from tape. Then it would be a choice of which one is better. I will email MOV and see what is being used and how. Another chance for this to be on 2 LP's missed also.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    richbdd01 likes this.
  17. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

For anyone interested, the Music on Vinyl initial coloured run is going to be a yellow pressing.

18. Guss2

Guss2 Senior Member

I'm getting tired of these 1500 limited edition colored vinyl runs. All it does is encourage people to flip them. Sorry, had to go there.

19. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I'll tell you now and save you the hassle...most likely 96/24 file cut using their DMM lathe. The only other possibility on some lesser occasions is a 192/24 file but the main factor is how the tape is transferred. The only chance it would of had coming near the Analog Spark would be if it was 2LP...

20. krisjay

MOV certainly has cut records(or at least used stampers cut from tape) from tape before. So it wouldn't be a first. I would have taken your statement of fact more seriously had you not gone on to say "most likely". I'd agree it is a probability that this will be from hi rez sources, doesn't mean it will be horrible, but it won't be able to touch the AAA Analog Sparks release if it is.

Guss2 likes this.
  21. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

The only way that's possible is if they use original stampers. So, essentially they would have to use the stampers from the first issue of Soup...which is a remote possibility and even the original may not be analog...

They don't have the ability to actually cut records analog as far as I know...

Also cutting records and using existing stampers are two different things...cutting records requires the remastering.

22. krisjay

Yes I mispoke when using the cutting term. While they don't as far as I know have the ability to cut AAA, they do release AAA product by using laquers from other sources. MOV doesn't mention this release as being remastered, which in itself is curious. Tuff to speculate what we are getting here. If it's not a remaster, you'd almost have to think it is from the original release. Again speculation. Hope I get a response soon, they usually are quick to divulge source info if asked. It's a good problem to have, multiple releases instead of long since out of print titles. Since it is one of my favorite albums of all time, I'll buy it regardless just for a different presentation

23. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

noticed the Analogue Spark version is down to £25 on Amazon UK at the moment. only one left. definitely worth pulling the trigger for anyone sitting on the fence!

richbdd01 likes this.
  24. mogambotek

mogambotek Forum Resident

I had a copy of this in my hands when I was in Toronto but put it back on the shelf. It was quite heavy and I had a few records already, and I needed to consider my baggage limitations. I hope there are still copies around in a month or so when I go back to North America. I figured I had the CD which sounds pretty good, and it's not an album I listen to much, but with all the rave reviews of the vinyl it might be worth picking up.

25. krisjay

MOV stated by email, that yes, it will be a 24/96 hi rez LP.