Blinded by the light

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Django, Jul 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Django

Django Forum Resident Thread Starter

Bruce Springsteen is up next for the yesterday style make over.

2. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I think we're in. The wife likes the trailer too.
    Both of us liked Bend it Like Beckham.

I think the Gorts should change the title to show this is a comedy that features Springsteen's music. I don't know how this ties in to 'Yesterday'. Looks very different to me

3. I'm not a big Springsteen fan (to put it mildly -- I don't think I've heard even one Bruce song all the way through since high school in the mid-80's, which was whatever I happen to hear on the radio)...

...but based on the brief description of this movie's Wikipedia page (and the movie's time-frame and setting), I think I'm very much game for going to this...
    • Set in the town of Luton in 1987 Thatcherite Britain, the film tells the coming-of-age story of Javed, a British-Pakistani Muslim teenager whose life is changed after he discovers the music of Springsteen.
    To be perfectly clear, I have nothing but TONS of respect for Springsteen -- just little to no actual interest in his music (same with me and Bob Dylan, tons of respect, but almost no interest in his music).

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  4. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I’ll give it a try.

5. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

My wife Vickie saw this at a sneak preview and enjoyed it. Neither of us are Springsteen fans, but she thought it was an enjoyable exploration of falling in love with music and it becoming a vitally important part of your life. She said, it didn't make her a Springsteen fan, but it helped her understand what Springsteen's fans see in his music.

Vickie and I met because we are both huge Kate Bush fans, with me being a giant Todd Rundgren fan and her being a huge fan of Happy Rhodes. But there is little chance of any of those three artists being the subject of a film like this.

Greg Gee likes this.
  6. Chris DeVoe

Same here. If I met Bruce Springsteen in person I think we could really hit it off. I respect the relationship he has with his fans, is dedication to his music and his commitment to social causes. It's not his fault that his personal style reminds me of the people used to beat me up in high school.

7. realkilroy

realkilroy Forum Resident

And the tagline would be: "Not wrapped up like a douche!".

8. Django

It looks a bit too self consciously feel good for me. But I suppose if you want to make a blockbuster you have to make things very obvious.

Lost In The Flood and Jacob29 like this.
  9. Chris DeVoe

The trailer makes clear that the protagonist is subject to racist abuse - "Paki Bashing" was a popular sport among some. So it can't be that "feel good".

10. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Makes me feel like I need this movie too. Never been one to turn off a Bruce track on the radio on principle, but it doesn't speak to me.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  11. Chris DeVoe

I'm an overweight, balding, 58 year old Caucasian from a middle class background ...but I'm not actually legally required to be a Springsteen fan.

12. Django

Triumph over adversity is part of the feel good factor.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    enro99 likes this.
  13. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Not a Springsteen fan in the least, but I might check this out.

Maybe.

14. Exactly what I said too (up above). Long as the reviews are pretty much uniformly good (in the aggregate), the themes seem to touch on a whole bunch of areas of interest of mine (though I'll be the first to admit some of them are somewhat superficial, on my part). And that it's set back when I was 18 years old myself (in 1987), is another draw -- even if it's set on the other side of the planet, and the protagonist is from a whole 'nother cultural and racial background.

But given that my age (and his) were very similar during that exact same time-frame, and our genders are the same -- that's quite a recipe for some potential catharsis (long as they handle it all well). But if there were bad or wildly mixed reviews, though, then I'd think twice about going for sure.

The "Springsteen" element is of no particular draw to me whatsoever. As I said before, I've got tons of respect for Bruce -- but almost zero interest in his actual music.

Greg Gee and GodShifter like this.
  15. Chris DeVoe

When is an actual Springsteen fan going to post on this thread saying whether or not they are excited about this film?

brownie61 and GodShifter like this.
  16. Chris DeVoe

Yes, something like Blinded By The Light - new comedy about British-Pakistani teen discovering the music of the Boss.

GodShifter likes this.
  17. Django

The yesterday reference just means a film built around and featuring the songs of a classic pop/ rock artist.

18. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

Blinded by the Light I always liked Manfred Mann's version better.

19. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

@Oatsdad ! Paging @Oatsdad !

20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I'm a fan of Springsteen's music (but not fanatical about it), but over and above that, this film looks like feel-good fun, so I will check it out.

Steeve, GodShifter and Chris DeVoe like this.
  21. Jeff Edwards

Jeff Edwards Senior Member

I'm a huge Springsteen fan and am kinda dreading the movie but will see it since I now have Regal Unlimited and it won't cost me anything.

22. Chris DeVoe

The gist of it is a kid hears Bruce's music and it becomes very important to him. Don't see what there is to dread. Here's what my wife Vickie Tweeted:

319) Blinded By The Light @ RE21. An advance screening (opens in August). I'm not into Bruce Springsteen at all but this nice movie makes you understand why fans are. Best, the depiction of finding music that you're passionate about is relatable (me w Kate Bush/Happy Rhodes).

Greg Gee and brownie61 like this.
  23. And as an added bonus, it might well be thoughtful, feel-good fun. Or so I'm hoping.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  24. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

The writer has been banging on about the significance of Springsteen to his life in the guardian for years so I'll be interested to see it. Having been to Luton a couple of times, I can see his point. Not exactly maycomb county but uncomfortable enough.

jlocke08 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  25. Chris DeVoe

So he's the British Dave Marsh? Or the British Jon Landau?

GodShifter likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.