Bloodline - New Netflix Show

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deesky, Mar 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think they had some idea there as Ben Mendelsohn is a well respected Australian character actor with many fine performances under his belt.

2. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Right, I read something like that a few days ago in a story saying Kyle Chandler isn't really the star. But I scanned just the beginning because I was trying to avoid spoilers while I watched it. Now, I can read up on it with abandon. lol.

Jamey K likes this.
  3. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

There was some flashing around in season 1. It's quite possible to tell a story that gives Danny a significant role in season 2. Being that Mendelsohn had already been signed for a second season, his son has stepped forward and there is some flashing back and forth through time, there's a good chance that we'll see Danny as his role relates to that of his son.

wavethatflag likes this.
  4. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

5. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

After I'm caught up with Daredevil I will give this a chance.

6. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I haven't watched the first season yet, but I'm glad to see this. I really like Kyle Chandler. His "Coach Taylor" on Friday Night Lights is one of my all time favorite TV characters. I'll get to this eventually, but as its a Netflix created property, I know its not going anywhere, so I keep watching other things on my list that might disappear.

Encuentro likes this.
  7. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Late to the party, but I'm 3 episodes in so far, and liking it a lot. Seems like another made-for-Netflix winner! The beginning/ending snippets of each episode remind me of season 2 of Breaking Bad. I'm wondering, though, if the narration is giving away too much of the coming plot. We'll see!

I'm not reading this thread until I'm done with the season, but will be back soon.

wavethatflag likes this.
  8. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Excellent show, very smart. When the same story's told from different character perspectives, they're actually dressed differently based on the narrators' mind's eye. When I saw that Shepard, Spacek, and 2 of my all time favorite television actors; Kyle Chandler (Friday Night Lights), and Ruth Wilson (Luther) were to be on the show I was all in! Tellyawhat, FNL & Luther are both available on Netflix. Very, very highly recommended to anyone that hasn't seen them!

9. Deesky

Well, yes and no. You could say that the biggest giveaway occurs in the first ep right away by means of a flashback! The narration sets the mood for what's to come, but I don't think it gives away anything much in terms of specific plot points. The joy of this series is watching how events unfold in intricate and devastating detail.

wavethatflag likes this.
  10. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Finished Bloodline this weekend. My wife and I really liked it a lot! Although we did have some of the secrets figured out, it was different enough from what we thought we knew to keep it interesting all the way to the end.

Biggest surprise was leaving it set up for a second season. I thought this was going to be a one-season show.

Still, I don't see how a second season could be as suspenseful as what we just watched. Good stuff!

wavethatflag likes this.
  11. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

I love it. I enjoyed Kyle Chandler in Friday Night Lights, but he showed some chops, I didn't know he had. Sissy Specek was fabulous.
    It was a slow burn, that blows up big, the last few episodes. I can't wait for Season 2 as this was really really good.

wavethatflag likes this.
  12. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I'm glad that there is going to be a season 2.

13. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

OK, a couple of things....

The gas cans: were those at a halfway point for filling up? Where was the drop off point? What were the gas cans for? Assuming the refugees were coming from Cuba, where was the drop off point? Also, if they LOST the Coast Guard, why was killing the refugees necessary? How did Wayne Lowry get out to the area where the Coast Guard saw the boat? How did the boat driver get to shore? Was there a small dinghy or something tied to the boat? Was it just easier to cut their losses and dump the mission instead of going back out into the open and possibly running into the Coast Guard? Wouldn't have starting a fire attracted more attention than just driving the boat to the destination point?

One other thing....why was Danny sending money to his own apartment? It was known he owed money...so why wouldn't he have been sending money to the people he owed money to?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  14. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

Incredible writing. Incredible performances.
    5/5

What a show!...can't wait for season 2.

wavethatflag and Encuentro like this.
  15. amoergosum

It was really shocking when John killed his brother (especially the way he did it...that moment with the hand in his face was haunting). It's hard to imagine season 2 without him. Well, we'll still get to see Ben Mendelsohn in flashbacks >>>

Source:
    http://tvline.com/2015/07/28/bloodline-ben-mendelsohn-danny-season-2-cast-returning/

The introduction of Danny's son has a lot of potential.

Encuentro likes this.
  16. Luckless Pedestrian

Luckless Pedestrian Forum Resident

Late to the party here: Great show, it maintained an impressive level of quality through every episode; I have some nits here and there, but for nearly 13 hours the writing, acting, editing and cinematography were excellent overall, particularly Ben Mendelsohn as Danny. I thought it was fantastic how Danny's line "I just want them to feel what I feel" resonated on an entirely different level at the end of the penultimate episode; great writing there.

Also the ending of the *first* episode deserves special mention, I was hooked after that.

I was scoffing at the idea of a second season, but now that I've seen the final episode I can see some potential. Hopefully it won't degenerate into purely a plot-driven thriller; I enjoyed the deliberate pace of character development in the first season.

Thanks OP for bringing the show to my attention!

17. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

I finished watching the first season today. It took a few episodes to hook me, but it did. I think this is an excellent show and am looking forward to season 2!

Encuentro likes this.
  18. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Loved every second of Bloodline. I loved the slow burn and the melancholy that surrounded nearly every episode. Cool theme song and title sequence as well that helps get you in the mood. I'm really looking forward to Season 2. As others have noted, it feels sort of like a one and done series but there are a lot of loose ends to tie up and some potentially interesting new developments as well. Everyone has unclean hands now...

mrstats likes this.
  19. amoergosum

"Second season of Keys-made 'Bloodline' might be the final curtain due to lack of tax credits

The future of "Bloodline," Netflix's popular Florida Keys-based drama series, apparently remains uncertain in both the near and long term.

The series set in Islamorada will return for its second season later this year but a premiere date has not been announced. But there might not be a third if, as expected, state lawmakers tighten the purse strings for tax credits for Hollywood productions made in Florida.

Florida-based crew members of the production recently posted online appeals for more state support of film and television projects.

" 'Bloodline' has been able to shoot in the Keys for two seasons due to the availability of the last of the incentive monies made available by the Florida legislature," script supervisor Kathryn Waters wrote on a "Bloodline" fan's Facebook page with [email protected] as her sign-off. "If new money is not made available in the [current] legislative session ... it is doubtful that 'Bloodline' will have a Season 3."

"Bloodline" received state tax credits for its first two seasons but that program has effectively ended -- unless renewed.

"After this year, the coffers are empty," Rita Troxel, liaison for the Florida Keys and Key West Film Commission, said Tuesday.

State Sen. Jack Latvala has introduced an economic incentive program that includes a proposed "Entertainment Action Fund" for grants to TV and film productions.

The bill was endorsed 6-0 by the Florida Senate's Commerce and Tourism Committee on Monday but faces other review in the Senate and state House.

Netflix revealed several series premiere dates for 2016 at a Television Critics Association event earlier this month but "Bloodline" was not among them, Enstarz‎ » reported this week.

"This is odd considering the first season premiered [in 2015] on March 20, and Netflix likes to bring back shows for new seasons at the same time every year," writer Kevin Jacobsen noted.

Staff with Netflix's Original Series office could not be reached at press time.

Filming for the first season of "Bloodline" began in March 2014 with a premiere 12 months later on Netflix's streaming video service.

The second season -- scheduled for 10 episodes rather than the 13 episodes of Season 1 -- did not begin filming until after summer in 2015.

"They're filming the next-to-last episode now," Troxel said.
    "

Second season of Keys-made 'Bloodline' might be the final curtain due to lack of tax credits »

20. Deesky

Hey folks, season 2 is out!

GodShifter and Encuentro like this.
  21. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Wow! Where did that come from? I figured it was months away. It's amazing how some of these Netflix shows pop up with little to no promotion. I'll have to wait until I'm done with Daredevil to start on Bloodline. Thanks for the heads up!

Edit: I just checked Netflix. I don't see anything for season 2.

22. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Deesky, I think you may have mistaken last year's release date with this year. I Googled Bloodline season 2. It's looking like an April or May release.

Deesky likes this.
  23. Deesky

Yeah, seems I was premature in my excitement!

Encuentro likes this.
  24. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I was a big fan of the vast bulk of the series, but no so much the last episode. Danny Rayburn's son showing up was a bit much for me. I'm hoping the show doesn't devolve into a Dallas (although that was a popular show in its day). Still, I'll put my faith in the writers and hope the second season is as least as good as the first.

One of my friends made a comment I thought was funny--if they ever make a Van Halen biopic, Norbert Leo Butz should play Michael Anthony.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
    GodShifter likes this.
  25. amoergosum

>>>

"Feb 23, 2016

A new report via The Key West Citizen reveals that Bloodline season 2 will drop on Netflix sometime in May. The specific day is not yet known. The report also says that according to a publicist for the show, filming for the new season just wrapped up in the Florida Keys last week.

Netflix tends to bring shows back for new seasons at the same time every year, but this will not be the case for Bloodline, as season 1 dropped on March 20, 2015.

Despite this new report, Netflix has yet to officially announce the premiere date for season 2, only saying it will return in 2016, so fans should probably consider the release date from the Key West Citizen article likely but not set in stone.

Additionally, the report delves into the impact of Bloodline on tourism for the Florida Keys, where the series is set.

"It has a tremendous impact when you have a production like this in your community," said Rita Troxel, film liaison for the Florida Keys and Key West Film Commission. "It's fantastic exposure for tourism and beyond."

Jessica Bennett, a TDC director of marketing, added, "All of the Keys received a boost from the show."

The Monroe County Tourist Development Council commissioned a new study that found a $91 million increase for the Florida Keys economy since the show began filming. The study found that among a 1,200 sample size of Bloodline viewers, eight out of 10 found the Keys to be more appealing as a vacation destination upon watching the series."

'Bloodline' News: Season 2 Premiere Of Florida Keys Drama Revealed? [VIDEO] »

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.