Bloodline - New Netflix Show

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deesky, Mar 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I didn't think season two was nearly as good as the first. A lot of heavy lifting by Kyle Chandler, but the plot line was running thin and much of the drama was conjured by bringing in new characters that don't have the tenure for anyone to really care about. I really don't think this series deserves a third season. It's just not there.

2. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

I thought it was as good as the first one so I'm really hoping for a third season. The show deserves it. Fantastic performances.

jwb1231970, Deesky and Encuentro like this.
  3. bababooey

bababooey Forum Resident

Wow! They sure flew by fast then. Knocked it out in 3 days. I had forgotten how great it was.

Deesky and amoergosum like this.
  4. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I'm going to reassess after thinking about this series for a couple of days. I now *do* think there's basis for a third season (let's be honest, the first half of the season dragged big time), but the rub is it doesn't look good for a season 3.

I read an article where the show (and others like "Ballers") who shoot in Florida are losing the tax incentives as of July. Therefore, it makes the shooting of this series far more expensive and there's a good possibility that Netflix pulls the plug on it.

5. amoergosum

"While Netflix has not yet announced whether there will be a third season, there is one thing that could make it difficult. According to Keys Info Net, the website of the Florida Keys' local newspapers, Florida’s tax incentives for filming on location are in jeopardy. "The program expires in July but the pool of tax credits already has been exhausted," the website reported. This could be bad news for Bloodline, as it would make filming a third season more expensive for Netflix. John Lux, who serves on the executive board of the entertainment production non-profit Film Florida, told Keys Info Net, "There's no doubt that future seasons of 'Bloodline' are in jeopardy."

Of course, even if Bloodline loses its Florida tax incentives, Netflix could still order a third season — these logistics have nothing to do with fan demand or ratings, after all. It's just a factor that the streaming service may need to consider when deciding whether to order a third season. But, I doubt we'll have to wait long for news on that front. Netflix ordered Season 2 of Bloodline less than two weeks after the first season premiered, so we should know its Season 3 fate soon."

Link: http://www.bustle.com/articles/1629...-news-with-the-casts-other-streaming-projects

GodShifter likes this.
  6. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I'm only three episodes in and I'm enjoying it so far. However, Kevin Rayburn needs to die. He was a whiny little bitch last season but he's intolerable now.

7. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

He redeems himself a bit and then ... wait and see!

jwb1231970 and Barnabas Collins like this.
  8. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

My feelings on all this so far: Season 1 totally captivated me; the beginning of season 2 had that "uh-oh, we've been renewed, we need more plot line" feeling of soap-opera-ishness; the end of season 2 was terrific with its great acting and every character believably reaching his/her breaking point.

9. mikestar

mikestar Friendly Optimist

Just finished season 2. We really enjoyed it. Most impressed that they attracted both Steve Miller and Michael Anthony to act in this show :cool:

10. amoergosum

Good news >>>

"6 June 2016 - 11:00am | posted by Natan Edelsburg
    Netflix's 'Bloodline' becomes most popular digital series in US

For the second edition, Netflix continues to dominate this time with the newest season of Bloodline. Hulu's The Path also makes an appearance at the end. Here are the full insights from Parrot.

For May 26th - June 1st - Top 5 Digital Original Series in the US and Average Demand Expressions™:
    1. Bloodline, Netflix: 14,953,139
    2. Orange Is The New Black, Netflix: 6,299,141
    3. Fuller House, Netflix: 6,297,803
    4. Sense8, Netflix: 5,772,545
    5. The Path, Hulu: 4,859,297
    Insights from Parott:
    • The latest season of Netflix's Bloodline was released on May 27th, resulting in this show becoming the most in-demand digital original title this week by a large margin: Bloodline had more than twice the demand of the next-most in-demand title, Orange is the New Black."
    Link: Netflix's 'Bloodline' becomes most popular digital series in US »

11. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

All right, so I just found out that I finished season 2. I watched episode 10 last night and assumed there were 3 more episodes. I just went onto Netflix, couldn't find it under "Continue Watching." I thought it was some kind of glitch. Finally, after finding season 2 and scrolling to the bottom of the episodes list, I discover that season 2 was only 10 episodes long. Grrr! Anyway, I enjoyed the season very much. It was a slow burn to begin with, much slower than the first few episodes of season 1, but it went out hot. It seemed to really take off about midway through the season. The finale was intense!

12. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

It's laughable that Kevin and Meg argued with John that they had nothing to do with Danny's murder. They were accessories after the fact, and a case can be made that Kevin had as much to do with Danny's murder as John did. He essentially told John to kill Danny. Paraphrasing: "If you don't do something about it, I will." He handed John the gun and told him it's untraceable.

Marco should be nominated for worst detective ever. Kevin, a key witness in the case, comes knocking on his door, telling Marco that he wants to tell him the whole story. He tells Marco that John did it, and Marco kicks him out of the house. It was obviously more of a personal vendetta for Marco, but even so, if he's seeking vengeance, wouldn't he want a key witness's story so that he could send them all to jail?

jwb1231970 and Clark V Kauffman like this.
  13. amoergosum

I totally forgot about that.

[​IMG]

Encuentro and Humbuster like this.
  14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident Thread Starter

A brilliant second season. I enjoyed it just as much as the first. There is so much to like about season 2. There's the slow and steady ramping up of tension as the narrative edges start to fray and character dynamics become increasingly strained.

The kid playing Danny's son Nolan turned out to be excellent, when his appearance at the end of season 1 could have appeared a little hackneyed. Not only does he look like he could be Danny's son, but his demeanor is totally consistent. But more importantly, it's through his eyes, both in what he has to say and in flashback form, that we learn yet another side to Danny, which further fleshes out his character beyond what we knew in season 1.

We learn that, tragically, what finally sent Danny over the edge, was the loss of his restaurant, perpetrated by Nolan himself. The way all this was developed over the course of the season was extremely well done.

And speaking of Danny, we had flashback Danny and apparition Danny (to John's guilty conscience). Again, I thought this was a very effective way to bring back a character that died in the previous season.

The tension that was built up throughout the season was wound to the max in the last couple of episodes, with the cliffhanger ending just makes me want to see season 3 (now)!

amoergosum and Encuentro like this.
  15. Deesky

I didn't think it was laughable. Remember that early in the season when they're deciding what to do, that when John tries to shield Meg & Kevin from his crime, that Meg herself says that she is complicit and that they should stick together. She knew this full well at that (early) time.

The fact that she and Kevin do an about face towards the end, when the merde is really hitting the fan, speaks more to their panic and desperation because they can see everything is going pear-shaped, including prison time. She's lashing out and in a state of panic.

But also don't forget what Marco's reply to this revelation was: "I know". And he also said that "I have everything I need", so in his mind, he had everything wrapped up anyway.

But Kevin wasn't a 'witness' - he wasn't there when John did the deed. What's more, he and the entire family would be called to testify in a court case anyway, so talking to Kevin right there and then wasn't of paramount importance.

GodShifter likes this.
  16. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

He wasn't a witness to the actual crime as it was committed, but he helped cover it up and would go a very long way toward convicting John. At that point, what did Marco have? He had Eric O'Bannon. That's basically it. What did Eric know? Not nearly as much as Kevin. Eric was in the Red Reef Inn and said that John was outside in his truck when that guy tried to kill Danny. Eric met with Danny on the beach, and Danny told him that he was meeting with John. That's it. Not nearly as much as moving the body and helping to cover up the crime. Marco is a detective trying to build a case. Calling the family in to testify is a prosecutor's job, not a detective's. A detective's job is to build a case and collect any and all evidence pertinent to the case. By turning Kevin away, he was wasting an opportunity to help bolster his case and give him more than enough evidence to arrest John. Eric O'Bannon's statements wouldn't have been enough. Being outside the Red Reef Inn and meeting with John on the beach is circumstantial. Helping to dispose of the body is far from circumstantial.

When I said that it's laughable that Meg and Kevin were arguing that they had nothing to do with Danny's murder, I didn't mean that I don't understand why they were claiming innocence. I get that they were desperate and panicking at that point. I just meant that, factually, they had every bit as much to do with Danny's murder as John did. Well, at least Kevin did. Meg helped cover it up. But Kevin basically goaded John into killing Danny. Kevin shoved that gun in John's hand and said "It's untraceable."

17. Deesky

I can understand the point you're making and it does have some traction. But I can also see it as not being a major 'stupid' moment. You say that "helping to dispose of the body is far from circumstantial", but I would disagree. It is circumstantial with regards to who committed the murder. Yes, it's very suggestive, but still circumstantial as there were no witnesses. So Kevin's testimony is just as circumstantial as O'Bannon's. though with perhaps a little more weight to it.

But either way, the strong circumstantial evidence would probably be enough for an indictment and Kevin could/would still be interviewed at a later time, so he would still have his say.

That's why I think it wasn't such a bit faux-pas not engaging with Kevin at that time - a man known to be a flakey alcoholic and drug abuser, who was clearly agitated at the time (possibly high), coming to a detective's private residence at night. I can see why he would want to send him away.

18. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Wow..that was one hell of an ending to Season 2. Totally out of left field.

Really enjoyed the show though like most people it took a while for me to get hooked.

John Leguizamo is fantastic in his role as Ozzy.

And yes I too keep thinking Kevin Rayburn bares a striking resemblance to Michael Anthony from Van Halen. We had just rewatched Freaks and Geeks before starting on Bloodline and I swear the Meg Rayburn character is almost as if its Lindsey Weir all grown up.

19. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Over all, I enjoyed Season 2. If anything, I felt it was even more of a slow burn than Season 1; maybe at times a little too slow. But the show is really more a drama than a high octane thriller and I really liked the way it seemed that just about any character could have gone over the edge at any moment. I kind of assumed that Ozzy was going to carry out some violence (or rape) before the show was over but it doesn't really quite pan out that way.

I'm looking forward to Season 3; the Rayburns are in a world of **** now and I'm thinking the Beau Bridges character-as much as everyone else-is going to completely ruin them. And they really deserve it; what a family of cold fishes. I really like Owen Teague as Nolan Rayburn. Can't help but feel sorry for the kid.

20. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Is anyone willing to come to John's defense? I'm not condoning what he did, but Danny threatened his daughter, and it wasn't even a mild threat. He came back into town after John watched him get on the bus, picked up John's daughter from school without notifying her parents and told the housekeeper to tell John "Don't worry. She's with an adult," when he took her out on the boat. Can anybody who remembers the first season tell me why that's significant? He gives Jane the same necklace that Sara was wearing when she drowned. That's pretty cold. John was so worried about his family that he told his wife to pack the family's bags and leave town. He tried to go the legal route after Danny threatened his daughter, and Marco told him that there wasn't enough to arrest Danny. When John asked Danny for reassurance that his family would be safe, Danny said, "We'll talk about that." He wouldn't back off. John may have brought the gun to the beach, but he put it in the glove compartment. He gad no intention of killing Danny at that point. He pleaded with Danny, asking him to leave town. Danny still wouldn't back off. John had every reason to believe that Danny was a threat to his family. At that point, Danny pushed his last button, and let's face it, Danny had been pushing every button possible up to that point. John lost his temper and attacked the man who threatened his daughter and remained a threat to his daughter.

Molly Tune likes this.
  21. Deesky

I don't see how anyone can. He's in an indefensible position now (as are his siblings), whatever the provocation might have been. Basically, they're all frelled!

Barnabas Collins and Molly Tune like this.
  22. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Like I said, I don't condone his actions, but they weren't cold and calculated. Kevin shoved that gun in his hand, but shoved the gun in the glove compartment. He had no intention of killing Danny at that point. His actions on the beach were heat of the moment. Legally, yes, he's in an indefensible position. But Danny's actions in taking Jane out on the boat, telling the housekeeper to tell John "Don't worry. She's with an adult," and giving Jane the same necklace that Sara was wearing when she drowned were indefensible as well. John gave him the opportunity to leave town, and Danny essentially mocked him. Never once did he back down from his threat, and his threat to Jane was very clear. I believe that the beach scene took place the day after Danny's threat, so that wound was still fresh. The fact that Danny threatened Jane's life has to be taken into account when assessing John's motives for attacking Danny.

On a side note, I had to look up the word "frelled." A Farscape reference. I would have gone for "fracked." A Battlestar Galactica reference. :)

23. Deesky

I get that, though I don't accept that John didn't intend to harm Danny if he didn't play ball. John still took the gun with him. If he was dead set against harming/killing Danny, he wouldn't have even taken it. Yes, he first tried to reason with Danny, but his plan B was to end the threat once and for all. So, I'm not real sure what you're arguing for - extenuating circumstances? But we're way past that point at the end of season 2.

Nah, I much prefer Farscape (which is funny since I didn't care for it when it first aired, but came back to it a couple of years ago, and now I love it - what the yotz!). :)

24. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I'm only arguing that he's not cold, that his actions were impulsive and were motivated by his fear for his family's safety. Yes, he took the gun with him, but he was very conflicted. Before heading to the beach, he put the gun in the glove compartment. He may have had a plan B before putting the gun the glove compartment, but, judging by his body language during that scene, he was struggling with his decision. It seems pretty clear to me that at that point, he had decided against killing Danny. At that point, after putting the gun in the glove compartment, I don't believe he had a plan B. If plan B was to end Danny, he would have carried the gun with him to the beach. He only had a plan A at that point which was to convince Danny to leave town. But you're 100% correct in saying that we're way past that at this point after season 2. I was just reacting to some statements to the effect that the entire Rayburn family is cold. I think the fact that John couldn't go through with killing Eric O'Bannon bears that out.

25. Deesky

Oh okay, sure he was conflicted, no question about that. This is further reinforced throughout season 2 by way of conversations between John and imaginary Danny.

I was trying to understand what you meant with the comment about no one coming to John's defense, given the developments in season 2.

Encuentro likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.