Blu-ray Rot?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Master_It_Right, Apr 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident Thread Starter

Has anyone else been having this issue? I have a number of Blu-ray discs with little dots all over the back of the disc after I've kept them stored away in a binder for awhile.

[​IMG]

This is exactly what a few of the undersides of my discs look like. Is this Blu-ray rot and is it normal? If this is a serious issue I may be doing all my purchases digitally from now on.

2. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

Haven't seen this, but the Blu Ray in my super expensive Dark Side of the Moon immersion set suddenly stopped working in any of my Blu-Ray machines after playing fine for a couple of years.

3. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

I'm not sure quite what it is I'm supposed to be seeing, but if the discs have been stored in "a binder," it's probably a reaction to/residue from the sleeves they've been stored in. You can't count on any storage medium being safe for disc media aside from the cases they come in.

mikeyt likes this.
  4. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

I have always kept my cds, dvds and BR in their original cases never had a problem like that.

audiomixer likes this.
  5. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I've taken all of my discs out of binders, because I've seen the same kind of wear even when the discs aren't removed.

Vidiot and wayneklein like this.
  6. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident Thread Starter

I put em all back in the cases. I have too much money invested to lose em all.

7. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Diamonds are forever, Blu-rays are not.

mj_patrick and Holy Diver like this.
  8. Same with CDs.

9. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I have never seen that. Scratches maybe, but not rotting.

10. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

From the photo, I guess I'm not seeing it. What I see in the photo is scuffs, scratches, smudges, fingerprints, and what looks like dust.

11. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

I've heard this about binders recently, which worries me a bit since I use one for discs that come in those terrible cardboard slots. Any suggestions for a better solution?

12. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

Haven't seen rot for any blu-rays I have or have rented.

I've had great experience with Slappa cases for CD and DVD media, though I haven't used them to store blu-ray.

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That's what I think as well. They're using different materials with Blu-ray discs, and I don't know of any oxidation problems like those that occurred with CDs. Laser Rot with Laserdiscs was a different thing entirely.

Note that even open reel tapes and cassettes could shed and fall apart over time. Nothing lasts forever, not even optical media.

Holy Diver likes this.
  14. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

I've heard that optical media is even more prone to failure for archival storage than was previously thought.

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I believe this is essentially true. But there's a lot of contributing factors: type of media, drive used, software used, how the media was stored over time, and so on. I've had expensive name-brand Taiyo-Yuden blanks from 1994 go bad in less than 10 years, and those were considered to be among the very best in terms of chemical stability.

Master_It_Right likes this.
  16. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless the disc stops playing. Criterion had some manufacturing problems with BDs pressed around 2010.

17. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

This is the outgassing of chemical plasticizers in relatively new plastic products like CD binders or cd sleeves. This reacts with the thin coating on CDs and Blu-Rays causing damage.
    Do you know that new car smell or new plastic smell? These smells are caused by corrosive chemical plasticizers escaping from the solid plastic.
    Don't put your media into new plastic binders.
    Maybe expose the binders to the air for a few months in an opened state in your basement or attic before use.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  18. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

could someone explain what is meant specifically by binders? Cardboard digipacks, cellophane bags that usually come with Japanese editions or LPs made in Germany (from earlier times), paper envelopes or...?

19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

20. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.