Blu Ray SA-BT228 and Technics Turntable SL-QD33

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cake, Nov 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cake

Cake Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was hoping someone could help me with this situation.

I have Panasonic Blu Ray Player SA-BT228 and I want to plug in my old Technics Quartz Direct Drive Automatic Turntable SL-Qd33 into the system, but I was told in the past that I need an extra amp. I asked an audiophile friend about this and he suggested that I order this via Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003UPTE4K/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=HUQ0GN5GYUU9&coliid=I2892TIGMOVNMW
    (Bozak Madisson Phono Preamp Preamplifier, Turntable Amplifier Pre-Amp)

What do you audiophile experts think? Will it work without an extra amp if I just plug this in?

Thanks so much for your help!

2. Cake

Bump!

3. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

Is it a Blu Ray receiver? If it has an aux input with a pair of rca sockets in the back, then yes you should be able connect via the preamp. You will definitely need the preamp unless there is a 'phono' input with GND nut for the ground wire. If you need a new cartridge for the Technics, I would suggest an Audio Technica AT95e, tracking at 2 grams.

Cake likes this.
  4. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Correct advice, the turntable will put out a signal measured in millivolts (3 to 5)mV. The aux input will be expecting an input of 2Volts. The phono amp provides two necessary functions:
    1. Provides the amplification to get up to 2Volts
    2. Provides RIAA equalisation. Records are cut with a deliberate/Standardised skew to treble (less bass the tighter the grooves will be). This standard "distortion" is reversed by the Phono stage.

Cake and Shak Cohen like this.
  5. Shak Cohen

OK, I just Googled it. It's just a player with rca outputs. So you would need an amplifier or receiver for your turntable. There are many you could get used from eBay etc, used for very little, that have a phono stage built-in. If you can get that, you would not need the preamp.

Cake likes this.
  6. murphywmm

murphywmm Senior Member

I think this turntable is a p-mount, so the AT95E would be incompatible. AT92E cartridge would work for this turntable, and it can be found for around $20-30 online.

Cake likes this.
  7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Indeed, the AT 92e is a great cartridge for cheap!

Shak Cohen and Cake like this.
  8. Cake

Thanks for your help, guys! I really appreciate it!

9. Shak Cohen

Right you are. I didn't realize it had a p-mount tonearm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.