Blu-rays and resume functions

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Joel1963, Aug 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member Thread Starter

My Sony Blu-ray player has a resume function for when I stop DVDs and then put on the player again. But do most Blu-ray discs have resume options these days? The Chitty Chitty Bang Bang disc I mentioned in another thread has that option, as do a couple of other ones I have. But in most cases where I have watched BRs, the disc starts all over again and I have to search for the scene where I left off.

2. htom

htom Senior Member

This is dependent on the disc. I think it requires some programming in Java to enable such a function, and the disc itself has to provide it, not the player. Typically, the loading of that software does mean longer initial load times for the disc (every time), but this can also mean loading of BD-Live content without resume functionality. Most Studio releases (and boutique labels such as Criterion) do include this function most of the time. But the only way to find out is to try the disc out.

Vidiot and PhantomStranger like this.
  3. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I agree. Most discs seem to be able to resume and some don't....

4. My Sony player tells me when it can't resume playback from where I left off. Did this discontinue this option? Seems to me it would make sense to include it.

5. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member Thread Starter

Just tried the Elvis That's The Way It Is Blu-ray. It resumed automatically, like a DVD. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang asked if I wanted to resume. Do Warner discs resume automatically in general?

6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Twilight Times and Criterions are great about this, but for what they cost, they should be. :D

7. It depends if the disc was authored with BD-JAVA or not. Most maddening is that each studio implements it differently.

Galley likes this.
  8. Myke

I was happily surprised last night, to see my just received German copy of Rio Bravo was BD-Java equipped. :winkgrin:

9. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

I have found at least 60-70% of my BluRay discs will not resume even if you press stop to make a coffee !

10. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

My OPPO 103 has a built in memory for about 10 discs, I believe. Any type of disc.

11. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

It is really annoying when there isn't a resume function, especially TV series.

The Office Blu-Rays don't have a resume function. :(

12. Myke

Strange, mine doesn't work if the disc doesn't have BD-Java.

13. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

It's very strange - my LG Blu-ray player will resume any DVD instantly, sometimes even if I've taken the disc out of the player and put it back in, but the only kind of "resume" I get out of any Blu-ray disc is put the disc in, skip the previews, get to the main menu, select Play and get asked if I want to resume or start from the beginning. Very cumbersome compared to DVD. Strange that it's the new technology that is less intuitive than the old.

Vidiot likes this.
  14. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Vidiot and Myke like this.
  15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Studios and distributors can be very, very, very lame and stupid when it comes to Blu-ray and DVD authoring. It costs nothing to add lots of chapter stops and the resume function, but often they skip that. I can't stand TV show discs where they just provide one or two chapter stops per episode, which is completely insane. They should do it at least for every act (commercial break). I also really hate User Operation Prohibition, where they trap out transport functions anytime they pop up a splash notice -- like the FBI warning -- or some other garbage. Totally unnecessary.

amoergosum and The Hud like this.
  16. Myke

That 70s Show - Season 2 - every episode is one chapter ! One !!! :crazy:

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

STUPID! I hate when studios and distributors give no thought to how people watch home video. You need a chapter for the open, a chapter after the main title, a chapter for every segment, and then a chapter for the closing titles. How hard is that? It takes :10 seconds to program this! I used to complain vociferously about laserdiscs in the 1980s. I cornered a top Disney home video exec in an elevator at CES one time and harrangued him about this, and his answer was, "our market research indicates that children are confused by chapter stops, so that's why we don't do them." :eek:

norman_frappe likes this.
  18. I think now it's simply about cranking out the releases as quickly and cheaply as possible. All I ever ask for on a television show is that chapter stops are placed around the opening and closing credits.

19. Myke

Exactly. Trying to get through the annoying, ear-bleeding That 70s Show theme for the 25th time is how I discovered the lack of chapters.

Vidiot likes this.
  20. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Criterion puts the FBI warning at the end of the movie credit roll.

21. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I have some big studio BD's from the first year of BD with no Java in the menus. They behave like any DVD when it comes to the Resume function. The menus work just fine too. I still can't believe that they took the step of actually degrading the user ergonomics, for menus! :tsk: It didn't help the adoption rate. It still annoys folks. This same thread happens periodically. Java, it's what's for dinner... :wantsome:

alexpop and PhantomStranger like this.
  22. My Sony will resume a BD if it hasn't gone into auto-shutoff mode. I think it does that after around 15 minutes. (The last 10 minutes are in a kind of screen-saver mode.)

I'm pretty sure I've previously looked in the manual to see if there's a way to extend the times on this, but couldn't find anything. I generally end up just having my own "previously..." in 8x fast-forward mode, to get to where I was.

23. Myke

No BD Java on this just released 2014 set of The Sopranos ?!?!? Does it matter this is a UK set ?

24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Market research guys are spin doctors.:)

25. Its UK origins would make no difference. HBO has been pretty aggressive about implementing BD-Java on their Blu-rays.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.