Blu-rays in hardbound book packaging

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vincent3, Aug 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vincent3

Vincent3 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Do you know of a list of blu-rays that come in the hardbound book "case" with the booklet inside (like the 30th Anniversary edition of Labyrinth)? I like this packaging format and would like to know the other titles that come this way. I have Labyrinth, and I know the 20th anniversary of the 1989 Batman comes this way.

Thanks!

2. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Just do a search for digibooks. They were reasonably popular collectible packaging for a few years but have mostly fallen out of flavor compared to steelbooks.

3. Vincent3

Thanks, bamaaudio. I didn't know that was the name for that packaging.

4. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

Vincent3 likes this.
  5. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Do not get the digibook confused with digipack. At least a digibook acts like a bound book that happens to have a glued plastic piece to hold the bluray. It is pretty well protected. I usually don't mind them too much because of the wealth of information and the less likely hood of having a broken spindle. That and they have a certain class to them.

On the other hand I LOATE, and I mean LOATHE digipacks (which unfortunately Criterion seems to just love), which often fold out, have all kinds of non protection against wear on corners, and also have all kinds of places that can be harmed and cracked. They just suck so bad.

Steel books like digibooks are not so bad, but I still dislike them because again of the irreplaceable aspect of the spindle designs and plastic holding together metal thing.

The king of all, and what I always prefer...standard NON-eco friendly (that means no holes in the plasetic...ecolite is ok though, I don't mind some less plastic, but absolutley no HOLES). goodness. You have the artwork protected, you have it easier to open, a booklet can be stored in it, they are easier to get out, and lastly they are uniform with all other standard cases. If I had it my way, all releases would conform to this. Stupid swag, and other garbage are fine as long as the standard case is maintained.

I want to walk to my shelf, pull it off like a plastic little book that is protected quite well. There is nothing like the "standard". Just like with DVD cases (again not that hole in the case eco BS), the design is pretty much flawless.

To answer the question of what I currently know about...

Blade Runner (and do spring for this one because it is better than the standard one because of all the extras being on bluray instead of DVD...even if you get the 4K version, this one still has stuff it doesn't have!)
    A Clockwork Orange..nice extra disc exclusive Stanley Kubrick a Life in Pictures.
    Dr. Strangelove (boy this is a tough one, because it has an awesome book, but the Criterion has the same 4K transfer and more extras!)
    Full Metal Jacket...another nice "Kubrick's Boxes" extra disc
    Midnight Express
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
    Cabaret
    Streetcar Named Desire
    FRANK CAPRA MOVIES, Mr. Deeds, Lost Horizon, You Can't Take It Wit You, Mr. Smith
    Whatever Happened to Baby Jane

Btw...though people gripe about them, I don't mind the Ditial Media series books like Die Hard, Star Wars, Back to the Future, Indiana Jones, Alien. I mean for crying out loud, they are blurays. Sure they are tight to get out, but after a few tries, no big deal, and they won't scratch or be harmed so what is the deal??

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
    Jimmy B. and Vincent3 like this.
  6. Vincent3

Thank you very much. I knew I couldn't be the only person interested in DigiBook releases.

I definitely want the DigiBook. I checked my copy of Labyrinth and am happy to see it's one of the good ones. It even has the push-button kind of spindle.

genesim likes this.
  7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

My digibook of Easy Rider stays in my collection, even though I've bought the Criterion standalone. I also see that my Papillon went OOP, so now they're planning a reissue in standard packaging.
    I have several, I like 'em.

8. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I've got The Shawshank Redemption in this format. Very nice packaging of a wonderful film.

Michael likes this.
  9. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Dang, I forgot about that one. Great movie. Loved the novella too!

Parachute Woman likes this.
  10. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

I've got digibooks of Meet Me In St. Louis (with a CD), and Citizen Kane

11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Hate them.

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I loathe the slip the disc in the paper/card board sleeve style book...(LOST IN SPACE BD box comes to mind) I'll take a digi any day over that...

Vincent3 and genesim like this.
  13. Michael

yes that's excellent...nice pics...

14. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I have:

Jaws
    E.T.
    Big Lebowski
    Deliverance
    Batman

I don't have it, but I know there is one for "Seven", unfortunately I bought the regular BD before I knew about the Digibook.

15. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

DigiBooks are very popular in Germany.

This edition of Sam Peckinpah’s The Killer Elite was issued in four different cover variations, limited to 333 copies each:

[​IMG]

I also have a very nice German DigiBook of Peckinpah’s Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia, which can be seen in the centre-right of this photo:

[​IMG]

16. stepeanut

The U.S. DigiBook is now OOP, and can be expensive on the secondary market. I bought mine for something like £10, years ago. I also found a second copy, last year, in a U.K. charity shop, for 50p. I gave that one to my father-in-law.

Anyway, the U.S. 4K UHD box set was a cock-up, but the U.K. equivalent was done properly, and is said to be region-free. It contains all the material from the BD DigiBook, plus the 4K UHD disc:

Blade Runner 4K Blu-ray

17. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I have this one too, and got The Green Mile in the same kind of book with it. They go together well.

Parachute Woman likes this.
  18. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Very interesting indeed. So it is EVERYTHING? The U.K. gets the best stuff many times over, and that is the truth. While U.S. buyers are scrambling to get exclusive this, exclusive that, the late U.K. editions have it all at less the price. lol

stepeanut likes this.
  19. stepeanut

I believe so, yes. I didn’t buy it only because I already have the Region A 30th Anniversary DigiBook. There is also a separate 4K UHD disc available, so, should I want to upgrade at some future point, that is the best option for me.

As I say, I believe it to be completely region-free, but I encourage you to do your research before buying, if you are region-locked. I’d hate to be responsible for you making a purchase you cannot play. There is a huge thread on the Blu-ray.com forum. Happy reading :)

20. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Region lock, not an issue. Man if I let that stop me, I wouldn't enjoy so much stuff.

I mean let us add it up...region free player, 200 bucks at the most. If you shop around, as low as 50. Return on that investment...well a bluray collector knows better huh.

Case in point- U.S. True Romance DNR smeared mess. The Japanese bluray, devoid of the extras but waaaaay better looking and it has a DTS Master Audio. I pity the fools that have never seen the difference. This is but one of a thousand situations. Buying "USA" only is a lesson in stupidity...if you compare about quality.

stepeanut likes this.
  21. stepeanut

genesim likes this.
  22. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Heavy Music likes this.
  23. stepeanut

Anyone who sticks to the basic premise of the thread is welcome.

24. Vincent3

I found a like-new copy of The Matrix DigiBook today for $10. I don't think I've seen it on BD yet. Looking forward to watching it tonight.

I saw a used copy of Batman at another store a few weeks ago, but the back cover had so much damage that the disc tray must have been cracked. I know I can get the DigiBooks I want online and will probably do that for most of them, but it's always nice to find one in person.

25. Michael

tis has to be the winner for the worst ever BD packaging...I wish they were digi's!
    [​IMG]

SandAndGlass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.