Blue Note SHM SACDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sound_mind, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I'm hoping there aren't any . . . unless it's material from the first decade of Blue Note!

RiRiIII and GregM like this.
  2. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Wouldn't mind some early Blue Note SHM-SACDs at all!

3. sound_mind

sound_mind Well-Known Member Thread Starter

4. zappaien

zappaien Forum Resident

Pre-ordered BLue train, got the platinum one which is fantastic, i bet they ll use the newly DSD transfer from this version

5. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Isn't the platinum (John Coltrane - Blue Train ) mono?

6. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

It is a 2017 transfer, so different from the 2016 platinum shm-cd.

" First Press Limited Edition / SACD-SHM Specification】 <Current BLUE NOTE President / Don Woz supervised / Original from master Master using 2017 Newest DSD Master / 60th anniversary of "Blue Train" announcement, 50 years after collapse death Special plan> Top Site Product Display – UNIVERSAL MUSIC JAPAN で詳細を読む"

7. sound_mind

Yes, the "Blue Train" Platinum SHM is a Mono version.. I dare say this is stereo
    Interesting, maybe sourced from the US masters if Don Was involved
    Apparently Bernie Grundman has been archiving the analog masters to 24-bit, 192 kHz—"a labour of love"
    I wonder if these 2017 DSD masters are sourced Grundman's transfers

Rob Hughes and RiRiIII like this.
  8. sound_mind

bluejimbop and RiRiIII like this.
  9. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

10. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

IMHO, the APO's were topped in sound quality by the SACD's in this Esoteric box.
    ESOTERIC BLUE NOTE 6 GREAT JAZZ | ESOTERIC COMPANY

Hoping these also sound better. Will await a review....

11. GruvyWade

GruvyWade Well-Known Member

The SHMs are a bit of a mystery to me, but the ones I have sound nice. Is there a way to identify the 75th anniversary Blue Note SHMs when shopping on cdjapan? One Blue Note SHM I have is Search For the New Land UCCQ-5106, which is mastered really well - clear, transparent sound, detailed but not bright. Is that a part of 75th anniversary series? I see they now have another new Search For the New Land which is UCCQ-3001... would you expect that to be a different mastering?

expo62 likes this.
  12. Lonson

UCCQ-5106 is indeed a 75th anniversary release:
    Lee Morgan - Search For The New Land
    The newest may be a new mastering. . . the jury is out and no one has reported hearing a copy yet.

Most of those 75th anniversary releases are now out of print via cdjapan. Somewhere I have seen a complete listing of those releases and if I can find it I'll add it to this thread. Some of these were reissued this year in I believe the same mastering.

13. Lonson

14. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

15. Lonson

ebay and amazon.de look like your best bets. . . .

16. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Ouchie. Ok maybe Ill try to find them thru other channels.

17. Lonson

They are going to be expensive wherever you find them I'm afraid. They were too rich for my blood, I avoided buying them on release.

18. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

Yeah, they were expensive right from the get go. I only hope they are worth it in terms of the sound quality they offer.

19. GruvyWade

thanks for the links! There are thousands of comments in there from people who take SHM seriously- very different from here!

Lonson likes this.
  20. GruvyWade

I like the idea of collecting the complete Coltrane on Blue Note on SACD. I expect these to be very different from the AP remasters, those were true to the original tapes, IMHO, and the SHM SACD I have heard seem to 'goose' the sound a little. Goose in a good way, mind you.

I followed these links, though, and the Sonny Clark says 1998 remaster next to the track titles... and one of the Griffin tracks says 1987 remaster!! Maybe those are typos?

21. Lonson

If you look these up on cdjapan.co.jp they show "Uses 2017 DSD master."

22. Grippy

Grippy Forum Resident

I've ordered the whole 20 titles at a cost of over AU$1,000 from amazon.co.jp.
    Still time to come to my senses and cancel the bloody lot unless I get some more info regarding packaging, etc. seeing that they cost so much per title.
    Sound wise I think they will be very good.
    We'll see :help::wave:

23. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I would strongly advise sampling this series before jumping all-in. We know next to nothing about the mastering.

Grippy likes this.
  24. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Especially since the Blue Note SHM-CDs from 2013 were quite disappointing in my opinion.

25. Grippy

Grippy Forum Resident

Very true!! And is not like they will disappear as soon as they're released, and the price should stay firm at 4,300 yen while in stock.
    I'll cancel my pre-orders and wait till I see some reports on sound quality.
    Thanks!