Blue Öyster Cult - Boxset Remasters 2012 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Deuce66, Jun 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I found a used copy of Heaven Forbid today, so my BÖC collection is now complete.

2. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

That's a great price or it. Places I've looked have been around $100. If I could get it for $62 I'd jump on it.

3. ajax25

ajax25 Forum Resident

Listening to the live downloads now. I pulled out my vinyl copy of the "A Night On The Road" and
    noticed that there are a few songs missing from the live download. Maybe they didn't want to repeat songs.

The original radio station LPs have

Dr Music
    ETI (missing)
    Burnin
    Fire of Unknown
    Cities on Flame (missing)
    Joan Crawford
    Flaming Telepaths (missing)
    Veteran of the Psychic Wars
    Hot Rails
    ME 262
    Heavy Metal (missing)
    Don't Fear The Reaper
    Godzilla
    Born to Be Wild
    5 Guitars
    Roadhouse Blues

4. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

Been reading this thread off and on and just decided to spring for the box - should have it within the week. Looking forward to digging into it - all I have now is the Anesini single disc comp and Workshop of the Telescopes.

5. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I love this box, but I still think they could have done a little better with the previously unreleased rarities (not to be confused with the live cd or the downloadable live shows). There are certainly more demos, unreleased tracks, etc., that could have been used.

6. kingofstoneage

kingofstoneage Forum Resident

Just ordered the boxset!

7. ajax25

ajax25 Forum Resident

I know that Donald was selling a set of CDs on his web site called The Buck Dharma Archives that included
    a lot of demo versions of BOC songs. There is a great demo version of "I Love The Night".

8. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

Is anyone having a few problems downloading the bonus shows? I finally got one to D/L (after several trys) but it skipped a track.

9. kingofstoneage

I would say the the new boxset version looks maybe sounds better!

10. j1804

j1804 Forum Resident

Just ordered this - Can't wait to hear Mirrors - my fave BOC album.

DrAftershave likes this.
  11. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Same here and worse. It says I downloaded everything but nothing has been saved into my hard disc so far! Any ideas?

Many thanks

Alex

12. Sandinista

Just got mine today - for the casual fan (me).... start at the beginning, Disc 1?

13. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I'm not even a casual fan, and I started with disc 1 ... it helps that for many fans those first three albums seem to be some of the best.

Sandinista likes this.
  14. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

I would. Those first three are really different from most of the ones that follow. You'll be able to hear how they gradually changed their sound.

15. Sandinista

Thx - only familiar with the stuff on the Telescopes comp and the more recent single best of.

16. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Soon you will be a more than casual fan (as long as you start from the beginning)

DO NOT START WITH CLUB NINJA :D

17. Sandinista

hahaha I keep hearing how awful that is.... one of songs from that is on some comp I have - kinda like it. :hide:

i sampled some of their more recent stuff on iTunes - some good songs there. spotty releases, perhaps overall, but at a quick glance, some sounded strong.

18. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

They're one of my top three artists of all time. They are the hardest working "intellegent heavy metal" band and still on the road today. After 40+ years that ain't bad.

19. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

You misspelled "DO NOT PLAY CLUB NINJA!!!"

:D

DrAftershave likes this.
  20. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I actually kinda like Club Ninja. :hide:
    But best not to form an opinion about BÖC by listening to Club Ninja first (or second, or third).

21. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

The contrarian in me rebelled at the idea that Club Ninja was awful, so I'm giving it my first ever listen right now. It reminds me of Jefferson Starship circa Nuclear Furniture, an album which falls into 'guilty pleasure' territory for me. Is this album really so bad? It doesn't even seem to have dated as much as most other 80s soft rock.

22. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

For what it's worth, I have never really understood the overwhelming animosity towards Club Ninja. Granted, it may not be quite as brilliant as my biggest BÖC favourites, but for an album from the generally rather dismal mid-80's I think it's actually rather good. Even at their worst (on whatever album that is) Blue Öyster Cult surely manage to deliver enough goods to keep me interested. I think their recorded output ranks among the most consistent in terms of artistic quality.

23. j1804

j1804 Forum Resident

Love the 2012 remasters including Club Ninja... they sound really good. I would say that CultÖsaurus Erectus have benefitted the most. Mirrors gets most airplay of course :D

Thievius likes this.
  24. kingofstoneage

The new boxset is worth owning!

It looks and sounds good, even the price is very good!

25. dpv2008

dpv2008 Forum Resident

I have listened all CD from this box-set. The sound is very good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.