Blue Sound Vault Hirez Streamer-Anyone Getting One?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by tomd, Oct 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomd

tomd Senior Member Thread Starter

I was in a downtown Denver HiEnd Stereo Store-Listen Up and a salesperson told me of the Bluesound Vault Hirez Music Server/Streamer.Lists for $1k has 1T of storage, can save your CDs to hard drive,has Apple and Android aps for navigation and playlists and can directly download HD Tracks and Qbuz tracks in 24/192 via Ethernet.Has toslink digital output so can output 24/192 to another better Hirez DAC (like in my Oppo BDP-105).I want to get it but may wait to see if it will download Pono Hirez tracks directly.Anyone else have one or plan on purchasing one soon?

2. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Your post reads a bit like an advertisement but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and offer that the Bluesound Vault seems a fine solution given these reservations:

1. It's somewhat expensive: I can easily assemble a small PC of similar capability and specification for about 1/3 the price or buy one for 1/2 their ask
    2. Eventually you'll probably want more than 1TB of storage. I know that now seems unlikely but I didn't think so either
    3. It doesn't support DLNA/UPnP which is unfortunate as any server that you're going to leave on all the time should also be able to stream video to your smart TV or other UPnP devices. Again something I didn't anticipate wanting.

As the hub of a music-only system the Vault is plenty capable. Nice that it's part of a system that includes remote speakers for when you're ready to add a zone to your network. Be advised that none of their products are wireless perhaps because Bluesound more than competitors promotes hi-res playback which can be dicey over wireless.

If acceptance of Pono takes off I don't see why they wouldn't offer the capability to download music from their store. In the meantime, we've been told Pono will be DRM-free so you can download tracks on another PC and copy them across your network to the Vault:

https://support.bluesound.com/hc/en...ound-Vault-s-Internal-Storage-From-a-Computer

3. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

I want to correct misinformation I provided above: While the Vault requires a wired network connection other Bluesound devices (Node, Powernode, Pulse) can operate wired or wirelessly.

4. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I keep my digital files on a mac mini that slides out of sight under my rack. As this is such a flexible, low cost solution I used to kind of roll my eyes at "music bank" products like Olive and Escient. Lately as I deal with USB handshake issues, out of sync remote apps, I realize the advantage of those more limited and expensive systems is convenience and a lack of fiddle and an experience closer to a CD player then a computer.

But this Bluesound stuff is pretty cheap. I think for my needs the Node would be preferable to the Vault, and I REALLY like how it works with my new best friend Tidal. But lack of digital outputs on the Node is a bit odd for $450, especially as I'd certainly trade the 12v trigger out for one.

5. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

You can operate any device with an ethernet connection "wirelessly". You just need a wireless expander to handle it. The expander picks up the wireless connection and serves it via an ethernet connections.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.