Bluegrass

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, May 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff Thread Starter

When I get into one of my country / folk / bluegrass moods (yes, for me they all run togeather! :) ) I always find that I am short changed in Bluegrass.

My favorite happens to be Flatt & Scrugs / the World of... . I have an LP copy only.

Can anyone recommend anything else in a bluegrass / hill-billy type of band? What labels to look out for? Any other advice?

Thank you, Phardner! :D

PS I know of the existance of Steve's Rural Rhythm work but I've never found any here in Canada. Anyone know who distributes them? Is "Front Porch Picking" on RR or another label?

2. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

Gary, the new expanded version of Will The Circle Be Unbroken might be a good starting point for further exploration of bluegrass.

Also, Rounder (the label) has some excellent and reasonably priced bluegrass compilations.

3. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Well, there's always Bill Monroe. Pretty good box set on MCA - Music of Bill Monroe 1936-1994:)

4. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi Gary,

Unfortunately, bluegrass never got as much attention as most other music styles. Many musicians chose to leap from bluegrass to other frontiers in order to increase their exposure and (possibly) bank accounts. I think this is a great shame b/c some of the most technically proficient musicians in the world are bluegrass players. The margin for acceptable error is real small (basically zero).

Some of my favorite young bluegrass musicians who moved on:

Jerry Garcia (a great banjo talent)
    Clarence White (Kentucky Colonels!!)

Sorry, back to the question. I think some of the best material and certainly best sonics you will find for bluegrass are on David Grisman's Acoustic Disc label. Great stuff! David Grisman has had some great bands with Tony Rice on guitar. Old & In The Way may have been the greatest grouping of bluegrass musicians after 1970 (David Grisman, Jerry Garcia, Peter Rowan, Vassar Clements, John Kahn).

-Jeffrey

5. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

Gary, in terms of recent releases Dolly Parton's (!) last two discs The Grass Is Blue &
    Little Sparrow feature many of today's top bluegrass players and are really well done both musically and sonically. I never was a fan of Dolly Parton until I heard these two albums.

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Hey Gary,
    Bear Family put out 3 Box Sets on Flatt & Scruggs! Excellent Sound quality! Unfortunately very expensive, but definitely worth every penny. A fun CD is Earl Scruggs His Family And Friends on Collectibles, right now on sale at the Collectibles Website. www.oldies.com The CD was a TV Special from PBS over 30 years Ago! with Guests, Bob Dylan,Doc Watson, The Byrds, Joan Baez and others.

7. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Ricky Skaggs and Kentucky Thunder's "Bluegrass Rules!" CD on Rounder is killer. It's always in my car, wakes me right up during long road trips.

Also, I highly reccomend classic Country Gentlemen recordings from around the early 60's, late 50's. "Urban Bluegrass" I've heard it called. Great stuff! Smithsonian has reissued many of these.

Dan C

8. Dan

Dan Senior Member

F.Y.I.- I bought a Columbia "2 eye" pressing of Flatt & Scruggs "20 Greatest" two album set and the sound is fantastic.

9. J Epstein

J Epstein Member

The Country Gentlemen are great, also the Seldom Scene. Jerry Douglas and Tut Taylor are two great dobro players, look for them and you won't go wrong.

The Bela Fleck Bluegrass Sessions discs are great, and David Grisman's albums are uniformly excellent. He has a great trio of discs called "Tone Pems" that are far less energetic than the usual bluegrass sound but feature some excellent playing.

The surprise hit soundtrack album "O Brother Where Art Thou" is very, very good, as is the album made from the concerts by that personnel, "Down From The Mountain."

10. rudy

rudy Forum Resident

Some of my favorites are:

Allison Brown Quartet
    Allison Krause and Union Station
    John Hartford
    Del Mcoury Band (they did an album with Steve Earle, The Mountain, which is fabulous)
    Stanley Brothers (Jim Lauderdale and Ralph Stanley have colaborated on two recent releases)
    Tim O'Brian
    Darol Anger and Mike Marshall
    Hazel Dickens
    Patty Loveless

- Whew! thats all I can think of at the moment

11. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Fiddle Fever on Flying Fish. great music great sound

12. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi,

An other one for the mix... Mr. Bill Keith (an amazing banjo player).

-Jeffrey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.