Bluesound node 2i $100 off at Amazon

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by hacksaw99, Oct 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hacksaw99

hacksaw99 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

2. tomjonze

tomjonze Well-Known Member

i wonder if this solves my issue. i have a weird digital scratch or pop that happens when i stream my music from my computer over bluetooth ONLY to my stereo. to headphones it doesn't do it only the stereo.

3. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

Ordered. Thanks for the heads up. Also ordered the psu mod on eBay.

4. RGBARGEE

RGBARGEE Forum Resident

Would you keep us informed of how the modification works out for you?
    Cheers!

MondoFanM likes this.
  5. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

+1

MondoFanM likes this.
  6. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Same price at Crutchfield. A sale like this is usually factory authorized and leads me to question whether a new model is close to release.

JorgeGvb, 500Homeruns and rischa like this.
  7. MondoFanM

A rep on reddit says it’s a worldwide sale through Oct. I bet you are right about a new model. I’m okay with that.

tomjonze likes this.
  8. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I’m trying to justify replacing my 2 with a 2i in order to gain AirPlay access, but that’s not really a justification.

Tim 2 likes this.
  9. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Audio Advisor is also offering $100 off.

10. thewho

thewho Forum Resident

Been interested in updating my streaming setup. Currentky streaming via Spotify>Airplay 2.0>Airport Express gen 2>Rega Elicit/DAC-R>Totem Forests and have a few questions:
    Would this be a step up in SQ from an airport express/iPhone source? Would I want to keep the DAC?
    My understanding is this unit does the streaming vice an iPhone/computer pushing the audio, but I can control from an app. Can I push from the unit to other airplay/Sonos pieces for multi room sound like I can with Airplay? Open to Tidal/Amazon HD.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
  11. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

Hmmm.....I wonder what the new Node will improve on? If the discount is because of a new model on the way.

12. If they release a unit with better amazon Alexa/streaming integration & balanced XLR output without upping the price I’ll buy the new model day one!

fingers crossed!

13. Lowrider75

Lowrider75 Forum Resident

I wonder if there is a new Node being released, would it have a more robust power supply.

Tim 2 likes this.
  14. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

It's being reduced everywhere. Now £399 in UK from Sevenoaks etc as well as Amazon. Obviously an official manufacturer reduction which suggests a new model is on the way?

15. Hawkmoon

Hawkmoon Eternal Champion, Master of the Universe

Almost certainly will be a new model. My guess is possibly a new DAC such as an ESS Sabre one. Possibly upgraded PSU but then that would likely require a bigger box, so maybe not. Be interesting to see what they do with it. It's already a great product.

Tim 2 likes this.
  16. Lowrider75

The PSU mod kit fits inside the box. It would be a good move for Bluesound to upgrade. Maybe an option?

The small power supply is my only issue with the Node2i.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  17. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

I was thinking the same but I run both mine to external DAC's so it would need to be a digital XLR to do me any good.

18. dcottrell6

dcottrell6 Forum Resident

Just picked up one of these from Music Direct to replace the N100 in the main system.
    Had a gift cert so the price was even better.

19. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

Would you please explain more regarding the issues of small power supply?

I was matching the node2i with 3 different receiver/amp last week and noticed that I much prefer the variable RCA out than fix RCA out. Using fix RCA out, the bass notes were not as good as using variable RCA out. Could this be the issue of small power supply?

Thanks!

20. Lowrider75

The PS in the Node is a chip, it does not use a transformer and relies on digital switching. It's called a SMPS; Switched Mode Power Supply. Typically, a linear PS has less noise
    The upgrade kit looks like it uses some capacitors for voltage storage which can supply power on demand. There is a low voltage external linear PS which plugs into the Node. This is how some of the higher-end streamers are designed.

21. Lowrider75

One of the most audible aspects of a small PS is that bass is less robust. It can't supply the full voltage needed to power the difficult load of bass frequencies. Bass needs more power than higher frequencies.
    Large power supplies will provide fullness and weight to music, not to mention a larger soundstage.

With variable out on the Node I noticed a boost in overall gain. I don't need it since I use an external Dac, but increasing the gain and running the Node analogue can also increase noise from the unit and the source music.

MondoFanM and pdxway like this.
  22. MondoFanM

I received my Node 2i today. I think it was actually sold by Crutchfield through Amazon.

I’ll be doing a shoot out between Qobuz and Tidal I guess. Unfortunately my free month of Qobuz ended today.

Worst issues I had during set up were getting passwords installed in the BlueOs app. My fault for signing in through Facebook originally to the music services.

Also it failed to update the software/firmware upon Wi-Fi connection although it said it would. Had to do through the app settings later.

have it running through the variable RCA out to my McIntosh Ma8000. I am assuming the Node’s internal DAC might be better since it is newer?

what I will be doing is running those outputs through my iFi tube buffer. I really liked the sound with the Tidal app on my Apple TV which uses the MA8000 DAC but didn’t like having to watch TV with it running. Eventually I’d like an external tube DAC.

upgrade kit hasn’t shipped yet and may not even be here until Nov. I didn’t order the best one available, but I expect I will be happy with it: Bluesound NODE 2 & 2i PRO Low noise PSU + Interface

23. Lowrider75

Great that you bought the Node2i.
    I hope you compare the Node analogue to the MA digital.

24. hacksaw99

hacksaw99 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

My node 2i arrived today too. I also ordered from Amazon and the inner box was from Crutchfield, which is fine.
    I had the same issue with it telling me to do a firmware update right after first power-up and wifi login. It failed twice, after about 5 miutes each time of having no idea what it was doing, but eventually gave an 'upgrade error' message that wasn't particularly descriptive or helpful.
    So I backed out of the update and tried to play songs from my SDD attached via USB. Initially there were no songs showing under the USB setting, so I fumbled around for a while and then a few minutes later it popped up a 'USB attached' message and was showing all the music on the SSD. Apparently it was indexing, but it gives you no message to tell you that's what going on.

Then I began playing various songs and a few minutes later I got a popup telling me I need to update firmware and that it would take about 30 minutes. So I let it try again and this time it worked for whatever reason (not exactly sure how long it took since I left the room for about 20 minutes). But then after the firmware update, all my music was gone. Apparently the same issue as earlier and it must need to re-index after a firmware upgrade since a few minutes later my music re-appeared, but no indication message that it was indexing. Anyway, aside from I'd give them an F for lack of information messages as the unit is doing things in the background, it seems to be working. Will spend more time with it later.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    chaz, Lowrider75 and MondoFanM like this.
  25. MondoFanM

I think I am done with Qobuz. its only playing parts of songs. pretty weird.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.