Bluetooth headphones

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RickH, Jul 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts Thread Starter

Are there any that are decent, meaning comparable sound quality to a set of corded cans in the $50.00-$100.00 price range?

2. RickH

Well, if anyone else has interest in bluetooth cans, I did a little research and found a couple of models that look worthy of consideration, both models being about as close to wired sound as you can get with bluetooth technology based on the reviews, consumer comments, etc. I read. I'm not sure which model I'll end up with but the Creative model was found by one reviewer to have the best sound quality of all the models he auditioned.

Creative WP-350 ($70.00)
    Photive BTH3 ($50.00)

3. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

I personally went with a ClipR, so I could use whatever headphones I wanted. I mainly use it with Ety ER4ps, but I would guess it would work with any headphones that are easy to drive. It is small and can clip to the neck of your shirt. I mainly use mine for treadmill use but you do have a cable from whatever headphones you use, which could get in the way, so it may not be ideal for all uses:

[​IMG]

4. RickH

I first tried the Photive model I listed above but they weren't up to par. So, I sent'em back and got August EP650 and I'm really enjoying them. Here's my Amazon review...

"These August bluetooth headphones are very good, considerably better-sounding than the prior set (Photive) I tried and then returned. They're very comfortable and have decent bass response which is how they were designed. This is the first time I've had a pair of Bluetooth cans - my wired ones are by CAD, Shure and Sennheiser so they're the standard I'm judging these by. Now, these don't equal those except for very possibly the bass response. The highs and midrange aren't as clear and the midrange is muddy by comparison, more or less depending on the source material. But, if your device or app has a EQ, you can tweak the sound to get it a bit sweeter. But, having said that, these things are quite nice-sounding, overall. I don't know if "burn-in" applies to Bluetooth headphones and that they can sound better after several hours of use, but that would be real icing on the wireless cake if it does!"

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  5. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

Phiaton 210... Headroom sells these, at least they did...

6. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Keep in mind that Bluetooth is going to degrade the sound to some degree, no matter how good the 'phones are. It wasn't designed with audio in mind, although each new version has shown some improvements.

RickH likes this.
  7. telliott

telliott Senior Member

I got the LG Tone Pro which sound ok but you do pay more for bluetooth at a given sound quality. I really like the design. Great controls and battery life. The base , with the buttons, sits around your neck on your shoulders. The earbuds snap into the ends of the base with magnets when not in use.

8. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

@RickH - Did you try the Creative WP-350? I am tempted to try them (or perhaps the Creative WP-380). Has anybody else used them?

Thanks in advance,

R ;)

9. rediffusion

10. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Bluedio Legend R+

Nice sound for the price and battery lasts 20hrs and very long range.

A bit bass heavy but tamed with EQ.

rediffusion likes this.
  11. rediffusion

Thanks, I'll take a look at those.

I'm looking for something not too bulky, that sit on the ear rather than surround it. They are for use in work and I'll be wearing them most of the day so something fairly lightweight but decent sound (I know bluetooth isn't going to provide audiophile standards). I'll be streaming from iTunes on my Mac.

Any other suggestions would be gratefully received.

R ;)

12. RickH

I did not. Only the Photive and August brands. I kept the August and although I don't use them that much, they're very enjoyable when I do.

rediffusion likes this.
  13. rediffusion

Thanks for answering ;)

RickH likes this.
  14. headvice

headvice New Member

Dunno if you're looking to spend this much, but the Denon AH-GC20 is an absolutely great pair of headphones.

IMO, even if you're used to fairly decent speakers, every sub-100$ pair of headphones will sound intolerably bad.

15. rediffusion

These do look nice but I'd like to ideally spend no more than $150 (maybe $200 tops). As I said above I am not aiming for audiophile standards. I will be using this in my office to stream lossy music via iTunes Match on my Mac.

16. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

They are pretty bulky, but only way you get good sound. :)

rediffusion likes this.
  17. headvice

headvice New Member

A hundred bucks gets you a philips shp9500 or a sennheiser hd598. Are you sure you need bluetooth headphones if you're just using them in your office? Even a $300 bluetooth headphone won't compare to the shp9500/hd598. Most bluetooth headphones are anyways generally aimed towards fitness/outdoor/urban use and therefore prioritize being lightweight, small and closed back. They simply can't compare to full sized, open back headphones aimed for home usage.

If you really need bluetooth, then I guess you could give the akg k845bt a shot (i think it was on amazon for about 200). Or you can look for a pair of used, now-discontinued Logitech UE9000. They were pretty great, as far as bluetooth headphones go.

18. rediffusion

Thanks for the suggestions. I definitely need bluetooth as I need to move around a bit with my job. As I'll be wearing them most of the time I need them to be lightweight and not overly large on the head. I would ideally like to stay closer to <$150 rather than $200+

19. headvice

headvice New Member

Buy the Phiaton Chord MS530.

They're on amazon for $159 at the moment.

Or go for the meelec.

20. rediffusion

@headvice thanks very much for all your advice. I'm going to go for one of those two.
    Cheers,
    Rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.