Boardwalk Empire on HBO (pt2)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MilesSmiles, Nov 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

I don't think it looks bad.

2. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

"I, for one, refuse to be ruled by fear."
    "Husband!"
    "Coming Dear!"

Ha! Fun Van Alden moment. I loved the whole dinner scene with Sigrid needling Nelson and then her reveal to everyone about Eli. She's always a trip, just with the way she talks.

I'm glad we're finally past "kid Nucky" flashacks. Too much time on that. The guy playing younger Nucky did a great job imitating Buscemi's voice and speech pattern.

3. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

And his mannerisms. There s a hint of someone, possibly Stan Laurel, in there!
    Boy I'm going to miss this show when it's gone. Another wonderful episode. It's one of those series which I find totally immersive.

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  4. AztecChimera

AztecChimera Forum Resident

Everything was great about that performance except the prosthetic teeth!

blind_melon1 and CusBlues like this.
  5. Complier

Complier Senior Member

Van Alden has some great quotes this season.

"Why Must It Always Be Pandemonium??"

6. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I just love that
    they're making the two former "upstanding" lawmen (Eli and Van Alden) be the two that potentially take down Capone for tax evasion.

They're certainly building this up to an epic ending. I'm so disappointed it's going away.

artfromtex likes this.
  7. AztecChimera

“Chester, that would sound better much further away.”

Rufus McDufus and Leviethan like this.
  8. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I've been puzzled by why the Gillian plotline has continued into this season. I'm guessing now we'll going to see Deputy Thompson making the arrangements for the Commodore to take in Gillian and seeing the anguish that probably accompanied it. But I don't know where it goes from there -- unless perhaps the objective is to simply drive the point home of yet another woman's life destroyed by Nucky. It seems like a lot of airtime to subtly make that point.

The only one who seems to have survived -- at least to some degree -- is Margaret (which, come to think of it, may be why her story line was continued as well).

9. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

The actor Marc Pickering owns them chompers (from Les Miz below)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  10. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

That performance was so spot on that I initially thought it was Buscemi himself digitally de-aged

11. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

I like the way they've tricked me a couple of time so far with the Gillian scenes in the asylum - each time it's portrayed as if it's an up-market health spa or nice hotel. The 'guests' are reasonable and refined, until reality bites when one has an episode and you realise what an awful place it is. Lovely and clean & bright though!

12. agentalbert

I know mental health facilities in the past were out and out horror shows, but what in the world is that maniac doctor cutting out of women's stomachs to "remove the sickness".

13. AztecChimera

Interesting! Anyway like jj it wouldn't have shocked me had it turned out that it was a "de-aged" SB. Fantastic mimicking of Nucky's speech/looks/mannerisms.

14. AztecChimera

That was a hysterectomy scar.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  15. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I interpreted that to mean that even when the Commodore was much younger, he was a ruthless murderer, and young Nucky saw it. I interpreted it to mean that one of the Commodore's associates was going to leave his wife and run off with that woman, and that it was going to harm the Commodore's businesses, so the Commodore had her killed so that the Commodore would not be harmed or inconvenienced. I could be wrong, and there could be more to it, but that's what I took out of it. To me, the importance was that Nucky saw from the beginning that murder of innocents was part of working with the Commodore, but he did not stop and run away.

Mechanical Man likes this.
  16. agentalbert

I didn't get that the Commodore had her killed, but maybe you're right. I didn't think we knew what happened, just that the guy killed her and kept ordering flowers to mask the scent and cover it up as long as he could. I thought it was just showing Nucky being around violence like that at an earl age. But I admit I haven't paid as close attention to details in those flashback scenes as I didn't care for them.

Okay, thanks. So he's just sterilizing the women.

Mechanical Man likes this.
  17. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

My interpretation was that woman was killed by that guy as a crime of passion, and The Commodore had HIM killed so it wouldn't mess up the business in AC by turning off the tourists

18. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

Thank you all for the follow-ups regarding that mysterious and little discussed murder. I assumed the death of *cough* SPOILER-- the man who gave Enoch the bill meant that he was the same guy who was interfering with the Commodore's business in the police station scene. I hope it gets clarified as to whether it had anything to do with the murder of that girl in the room.

This last episode really hit the mark for me. I can't wait to see what happens with Chalky, Van Alden, Eli, the mystery homeless kid, Gillian, Narcisse (is he even still part of the show?), Charlie/ Mayer and of course Nucky. We're in for a wild ride.

The Gillian/ hysterectomy subplot seemed fairly straightforward to me. The doctor is a quack and thinks he can "cut" out the source of mental illness in his patients by any means necessary. I may be way off base though.

Still holding out for a Van Alden/Eli spin-off in the manner of Better Call Saul!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
    artfromtex and GentleSenator like this.
  19. marcb

marcb Senior Member

This is basically what I thought too.

artfromtex likes this.
  20. marcb

marcb Senior Member

But what does it have to do with Boardwalk Empire?

21. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

When has that ever stopped the writers and directors of this show before?

22. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I don't know...everything usually seems to tie itself to Nucky in some way. And this probably will too. The central purpose of the Gillian subplot in this season can't be a commentary on the conditions of "sanatoriums" in the early-mid 20th century.

23. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

I imagine at some point the 1931 Gillian storyline will tie with a flashback of Nucky introducing a 13-year-old Gillian to the Commodore.

24. marcb

marcb Senior Member

You don't say... :idea:

25. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

So I'm a day late...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.