Boardwalk Empire on HBO

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by benjaminhuf, Sep 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The actor portraying the blind Oscar

2. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I have been thinking about why Eli did not go to Nucky when the FBI agents threatened him. I think it has to do with the fact that the agents threatened Eli's son if Eli did not cooperate, and with Eli's pride about having a family and Eli's resentment that Nucky seems like he is trying to take it over.

There was a scene near the end of one of the episodes this season when Nucky had been to Eli's house for dinner and Eli drunkenly chatised Nucky for never having a family and for trying to interfere with Eli's family.

So I think that Eli resents Nucky for helping out his son behind his back and does not want to go begging to Nucky for help over something to do with his son.

This was before Eli knew that his son was joining the criminal gang, which just happened in a recent episode.

3. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

The show grinds to a halt whenever Daughter is onscreen. "And now I will sing a contemplative tune of old. For four minutes."

blind_melon1 and Vidiot like this.
  4. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Pffft. The more I think about it, the more I hate it. It was like a Scooby-Doo ending. All these guys hiding within ear shot in her house. Have they been there the whole time Roy was pretend courting her, in case she confesses? What about when he was getting her off of heroin? Was one hiding under the bed and another in the closet? She very well could have confessed then. And what if she hadn't done it at just that moment with the two hired Pinkerton witnesses secretly deployed and Leland right there as well. Would he have gone to California? The whole thing is just so contrived and unrealistic.

5. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

All that is true, but I still think its Eli almost being self-desctructive by not going to Nucky, and that Eli might very well know that. I think a lot of him probably still resents Nucky for surviving when Eli sided with men trying to assasinate him. Nucky survived that, Eli failed, and ended up in prison. Even though they reconciled and work together, Eli probably has guilt about that and might feel putting Nucky away (and telling himself he's a good man for doing so) is the only way to feel better about himself. I think Eli gets into a self-loathing mode, particularly when he drinks, which he's been doing a lot of lately.

Hot Ptah likes this.
  6. Hot Ptah

Good points. It also bears analysis why Eli started telling the agents false or outdated information, but in the last episode was telling them the truth about the Tampa operation and who is involved. Does Eli think that he has no other choice but to cooperate, or is his naming of those involved in the Tampa operation part of a scheme on his part--or on the part of others too?

7. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

It's entirely possible Eli did go to Nucky right away, and this is a long con to take everyone they don't like in NY and Florida (including Dr. Heroin) off the board. Eli appears to be falling into his old rummy habits to string the Feds along, sets up the meeting, everybody shows up but the Thompsons and the Feds either a) bust the meeting because that's what they came to do or b) back off because Hoover is running Narcisse.

Bender Rodriguez and Hot Ptah like this.
  8. Hot Ptah

All of this seems to be a distinct possibility to me.

9. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

That was Lou Gossett???

10. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

The second I heard him grunt, before he was clearly revealed on screen, I knew it was him!

Jeff

11. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

Gossett's, er, metaphor for the chicken being dry was hilarious.

12. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Poor grandma.

Jeff

liv3evil likes this.
  13. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I haven't gone back and watched the episode again, but in my mind's eye I only recall two guys at the house (plus Louis Gossett). Plus regardless of whether the guy going to Baltimore was involved, he wouldn't have been at the house.

14. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Yeah, I kinda of agree.

15. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Quite the season finale last night:righton:

16. Spoilers...

I thought the fate of Chalkie's daughter was projected in the last few episodes but it was still a shock. Happy endings are not what this show is about. Eli's future with Capone's mob should be interesting, but I am not sure how his son is off the hook now?

17. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Very sad to see one of my favorite characters go.

18. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Very sad ending.....

19. djork

djork Forum Resident

All I can say in response to the death of Richard, who was my favorite character on the show.

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

20. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

How did Eli get connected to the Capone mob? Did Nucky do that for him?

21. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

I think Will (Eli's son) is safe because the weirdo FBI agent (Tolliver?) was the only one talking about that and from what Hoover told Narcisse it seems that the FBI would like to forget the whole "organized crime" fiasco and concentrate on those pesky anarchists, communists, and trouble-maker blacks. Obviously we see how Capone gets a hold of Chicago and it will be interesting to see where Eli fits in.

About Richard (great ending montage for him btw, it's from a book my wife mentioned), every season we lose a character that people like. I can't remember who the first season, but it was Jimmy, then the Irish hitman who was in love with Margaret, and now Richard. I figured it'd either be him or Chalky. I guess Chalky will be next season then my wife won't have a reason to watch as all her favorites would have been killed off.

22. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

On the montage ending of Richard, Occurence at Owl Creek Bridge? Ambrose Bierce short story? Read it in grade or middle school, has stuck with me all my life. Also, an inspiration, perhaps, for Jacob's Ladder?

23. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

That's it. She found it in a book of short stories at our library and placed a hold on it for me to read. It's a collection of a lot of other great short stories, some of which I've read before and liked. With TV being mostly crap now except for a few shows on Sundays, I've really started reading more fiction again after years of reading nothing but scientific papers and textbooks for grad school and my research. It's nice to be able to read for fun again.

24. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

??

25. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

excellent finale show ,looked like it should have unlike most of the season which suffered from budget cuts ,at least they had some budget for last show, the killing of the FBI guy went on too long

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.