Bob Dorough, Schoolhouse Rock performer and writer, RIP

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BradOlson, Apr 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Sad, but 94 is a good run.

3. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

Loved so many of these, and watch them even today 40-something years later. A really fun part of my childhood. Rest in Peace.

4. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Great writing and music for that series of films. RIP Bob Dorough!

5. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

R.I.P.

inperson, bekayne, daca and 2 others like this.
  6. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

94?!
    Well, I guess it has been around 47 years since Schoolhouse Rock debuted. It sure doesn't seem like it, though. RIP.

7. bloodisthin

bloodisthin And after all, we're only ordinary men

Bob Dorough, 'Schoolhouse Rock!' Performer and Writer, Dies at 94

I knew him best for Schoolhouse Rock (which didn't get much traction here in Australia; an expat US friend turned me onto it) as well as his vocal turns on Miles Davis' Sorcerer and John Zorn/Naked City's Grand Guignol - the latter album is my username comes from, incidentally.

8. SteveCam

SteveCam Forum Resident

Sad. Thanks for posting. I believe he also did the vocals on Miles Davis's bizarre but awesome Christmas song Blue Christmas.

bpmd1962 and Pythonman like this.
  9. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Man I lovedSchoolhouse Rock growing up

Grant likes this.
  10. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

11. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I know him for the oddball but clever Miles collaboration.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  12. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

School House Rock was brilliant and left a huge cultural fingerprint on a generation. Sad news.

13. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

14. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Very sad news. Bob gave teachers everywhere a chance to have a snack and perhaps a restroom break while the students were engaged and learning from the music he provided. RIP Bob

Zoot Marimba and Karnak like this.
  15. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

My wife is a teacher and even to this day School House Rock is loved by the kids. She took our DVD to class one day and played some of the tracks for Lang. Arts and they loved it. RIP Bob.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  16. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Sad. Had the pleasure of seeing him do Schoolhouse Rock live 20 years ago, and it was amazing. He was a great talent.

17. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Love Is Understanding

An amazing man. His work on one small project had immeasurable influence on a generation of children. He made his mark for sure. R.I.P., Mr. Dorough. Thank you for the music.

Scooterpiety and vinnie like this.
  18. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

He also worked with Miles Davis and recorded his own jazz music on Bethlehem Records.

Zoot Marimba and MikeInFla like this.
  19. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

I hope he got some money from this:

john hp and Zoot Marimba like this.
  20. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Tough losing such an underrated and underappreciated talent. A treasured memory was just a few years ago when he did a gig at WXPN's World Cafe-hmm,five years ago-seems like one. Brought my Granddaughter,who had already met and worked with him at a school event. Bob did lots of school events. The line from The Christmas Song:"to kids from 1 to 92"(even 94),certainly was Bob. Before the showshow,he was like a preacher setting up for service. He chatted at every table and signed numerous goodies for us,including a Scholastic 44th Street Flower Power Factory EP(produced and featuring Steve Swallow!)which was not only another way he communicated to kids,but was introducing them to psychedelic music. I think he would have endorsed a check if shoved in front of him. Bob dabbled in just about every facet of pop & jazz,always with a sly,dry and sometimes dark,sense of humor. He wasn't going to explain the jokes,which is why he was so good for kids. Fans of Spanky & Our Gang were exposed to Bob's work,even if they didn't know it. And that was part of the charm of Schoolhouse Rock,as much of the audience would not know how important he was to their learning.
    The Celebration of the Arts group from Delaware Water Gap have lost another pillar of their community,as Bob was around all the time. What is great about the COTA folks,organized in part by Phil Woods,is that the idea of COTA was to seed future generations in creating music,so the group will continue to flourish.
    A tip of my favorite baseball cap to Bob;"You were good,rookie!".

21. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

I was delighted when he turned up on a Nellie McKay album a while back. What an original voice and talent.

Chris DeVoe and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  22. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

I first heard him on Theme Time Radio Hour. Dylan played him several times on that series. Incredible lyricist. My most memorable was on the "Dogs" themed show with the song "Dog":

Silver Surfer likes this.
  23. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

He did some really great songs that were also educational.

BradOlson likes this.
  24. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.