Bob Dylan - 50th anniversary collection - 1964

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by oh1, Dec 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I guess there's at least the possibility that Sony has access to material that doesn't currently circulate.

2. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

They most certainly do (the vast majority of the 6-9-64 "Another Side" marathon), but last year they weren't nice at all about sharing such things. "Denise" circulates, so that's a sure inclusion, and perhaps the material from the "Emmett Grogan" acetates, but after that ... ?

"Share share, that's fair." - Myrna Turner

DeeThomaz likes this.
  3. oh1

oh1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

This product is for Bricks & Mortar stores only and must not appear in any way online,

4. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Except on ebay for $1000. :)

Tommyboy and HominyRhodes like this.
  5. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

A
    Actually, since he wasn't in the studio much that year, it's all being put on a single 78rpm disc....they expect careless people to drop them, hence the "9 pieces"....

Beaneydave likes this.
  6. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

Good to know -- maybe I'll just wait 'til Columbia inevitably issues these in full, with all the spoken intros (hopefully) intact. It will give me a reason to buy them!

7. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

These two shows would make a nice two-disc (or 4 LP) release in a slipcase. Call it Dylan '63 or something....

8. Tom Schreck

Well, I believe those two shows were the sources for the deleted Bob Dylan In Concert LP in the '60s. So they could do a deluxe edition of that lost album, and it would fit into the catalog quite nicely!

9. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

Yours truly. (Probably closer to 50 CDs. :) )

10. Tom Schreck

Man, that really puts things in perspective, doesn't it? Columbia probably has hundreds and hundreds of full shows in the vault in soundboard quality. This copyright issue could really throw a wrench in their business plan to keep us on the hook for decades.

Something about the public domain clause doesn't add up to me -- like, if a previously uncirculating recording from 1963 (that they didn't include on last year's set) gets released on a Bootleg Series volume three years from now, it's automatically public domain, 'cause it hadn't been "published" before the 50-year cutoff? That just makes no sense to me. I would think the process of mastering the recording for release would be enough to stamp it as new, and therefore re-up the copyright for the modern age. But I'm just a caveman.

11. HominyRhodes

I'm not sure if anyone ever got unauthorized access to the full session tapes, although Krogsaard apparently listed them all. Denise, the Emmett Grogan Acetates (given to him by Dylan) and a few other items "escaped" in the form of publishing demos only, IIRC.

12. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

PRE-ORDERED!!!

:help:

13. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

14. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

What a difference a year makes - 1964 to 1965 for Dylan. The 1965 set should be absolutely insane, content and size wise.

Solaris and HominyRhodes like this.
  15. Stephen Pate

Stephen Pate New Member

So does that mean totally random appearance of the product or will the public know in advance? I want to get it but I will need some notice to line up an agent or friend to pick it up at a "bricks and mortar" location.

16. NewWarden

NewWarden Forum Resident

Something like ... The Bootleg Series Live 1963: Bob Dylan In Concert.

With the Basement Tapes taken care of, now waiting patiently for the expanded editions After the Flood, Harder Rain, Not At Budokan, Solid Rock, Shot of Real Live, Dylan and the Heartbreakers, MTV Completely Unplugged ...

JoeF. and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  17. Muddy

Muddy Large Member

How's the sound quality?

18. So there you are Dylan fans. If you want to hear probably the two best and most iconic concerts of the young Mr. Dylan's career in their entirety, you can go the official route and piece each of them together from 4-5 different sources, with some missing intros and variations in the audio due to the unique mastering of each set...or you can select from several bootlegs that feature the entirety of each show in an uninterrupted flow with sparkling audio...

I tell you - those damn bootleggers just have no respect for the man's career...:sigh:

19. HominyRhodes

20. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

So... the 1965 set will be out in a year, and the 1966 set the year after that?

Doesn't it make sense for them to get the 'complete Blonde on Blonde sessions' Bootleg Series box they've discussed out by the end of 2015 if they're ever going to? (The end of 2015 since the BoB sessions began in late 1965.) Otherwise all that stuff will just end up on a copyright extension set like this, and soon. Although haven't we heard that the Blood on the Tracks Bootleg Series is probably next?

Or do I recall that the Copyright law in Europe changed so these copyright extension sets will no longer (unfortunately) be necessary?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  21. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

Shadows in the Night is apparently on tap for Spring 2015. If that is the case, there's room I would think for another Bootleg Series next Fall. All the talk the last couple years is that Blood on the Tracks is imminent but it's been kicked down the road once already. Maybe again if there's some sort of Copyright intrigue attached to the Blonde on Blonde material.

22. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

Posthumous works are copyrighted for 25 years from the publication year. So if Sony releases now 1963 unreleased Dylan recordings from his vaults, this publication is protected for other 25 years.

23. Moth

Moth fluttering by

There's always room on the calender...
    Spring: Shadows in the Night
    Summer: Blood on the Tracks (BS 12)
    Autumn: Album of new material
    Winter: Blonde on Blonde (BS 13)

24. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

Highway 61 Revisited Sessions are very important. It's possible that Sony Records tries to protect them with a deluxe edition or something like that. And there's also the Bringing It All Back Home sessions...

25. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

Very not likely, but I like the way you think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.