Bob Dylan - 50th anniversary collection - 1964

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by oh1, Dec 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

So a complete "Electric Years" box? I can live with that. *drool* But I might need to look at putting another mortgage on the house, in that case.

Poor repeatedly rejected Blood on the Tracks, though. When that set finally is released, it'll probably be subtitled "Always A Bridesmaid."

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
    HominyRhodes and Tommyboy like this.
  2. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I agree with you that the collective mindset of the decision makers is evolving as this process is ongoing. I really don't think we would have gotten 6 CDs of "Basement Tapes", including a CD perceived as subpar, even a couple of years ago. I think they may have even hit on the formula now - 2 CD sets for the "mass" audience, and big boxes for the lunatics. I could see things playing out that way for 1965 and 1966 studio material, as you suggest. "Protecting" the '66 tour recordings will be a massive mission regardless of their commercial intent. But one could argue that if the entirety of the Dead's 1972 European Tour merited a 73 CD box, why not perhaps the most important tour in rock history (redundancies and all)?

3. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Nice of Sony to keep the bootleggers in business, is what I say! :cussing:

Yeah, I'd prefer to NOT patronize the bootleggers, but........... :whistle:

HominyRhodes likes this.
  4. beneta

beneta Well-Known Member

I feel if anything they'll do a BS set of material from 65-66 (encompassing the three electric album sessions and live material) and then release the rest of the material on Copyright sets. Personally, I don't find it likely they'll go the BS11 route and release all or most of the material. Even if they just do the Blonde on Blonde sessions, I just don't think there's a market for 20 takes of One of Us Must Know (Sooner or Later). I don't think it's feasible to have a "Raw set" and then a complete sessions set because it would be so vast. There is a variety on BS11. There are multiple takes of songs but not nearly the same amount as an official recording session. I think it will just be the cream of the crop on the official set, the vast leftovers on the copyright set of just left alone entirely.

IronWaffle likes this.
  5. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I have nothing to say, except that this defies all expectations. I am thrilled!

6. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I agree with this -- I could see them releasing the most interesting and different 3-4 takes of each song in a massive "Studio 1965" Bootleg Series, and for the rest either (a) lock the vault on the leftovers forever, or (b) put the rest of the takes (or the best of them) on the accompanying Copyright set.

The funny thing to me is that, not long ago, Dylan's people were saying "We've kind of exhausted the Sixties now, and we're going to start looking at other periods for Bootleg Series releases" -- and now they're basically being forced to release WAY more '60s stuff than they might have planned five years ago...

IronWaffle likes this.
  7. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

Yea no pressure even though Brian Wilson is waiting in his fireman's hat to find out if these are audience or soundboard recordings.
    I hope you haven't left the box set on the bus after one too many at the Xmas party.

EDLIS Café, fallbreaks and stepeanut like this.
  8. RayS

Not to say that I feel for them, but ... this really is a rock and hard place situation to a degree. Sony can't release the Philly '64 audience tape to the general public - there would be an uproar, people would demand refunds, Dylan's professional reputation would be tarnished, etc., etc. But if they don't put it out in this limited fashion, someone else will do exactly that (ramifications be damned for a PD label). So in a way they can't release it, yet they can't NOT release it. The lucky 1000 or so who listen to this "gem" of a recording are the forewarned who will not go running back to the store the next day, and will not have a lesser impression of Bob Dylan or Sony's quality standards. And the PD releases are thwarted. In their position, I honestly don't know that I'd do it much differently (at least with the sonically-challenged material).

9. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

All good points -- the one kind favor I'd ask of Sony is that they do an iTunes digital release, in addition to the LP release, so nutters like me can actually get the thing, easily and legally.

10. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

They must know that releasing 100 LPs of this is the same as giving it to every hardcore Dylan fan in the world, particularly if they don't offer a legal purchase option on iTunes or elsewhere. "Hey, you dropped a hundred bucks on The Basement Tapes - here's our thank you for that."

IronWaffle likes this.
  11. RayS

I think they would have an aversion to putting it on iTunes for many of the same reasons. A newbie Dylan fan who searches for "The Times They Are A-Changin'" on iTunes and comes away with the Philly '64 version is NOT going to be a happy customer.

Kermit27, EDLIS Café and IronWaffle like this.
  12. RayS

Agreed. I think Sean or DeeT shared a quote around this time last year that essentially said just that.

Sean Murdock likes this.
  13. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Please don't patronize them. If you (like me) are unable or unwilling to get a hold of the LP only release, there will be easy alternatives to paying a bootlegger. If you aren't buying it from the original source, why pay someone else?

14. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

There was some discussion of these in the "Complete Album Collection" thread. Last year and earlier this year Sony Japan released quite a few Blu-Spec 2 editions of Bob Dylan titles.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/products?term.media_format=&q=Bob+Dylan+Blu-Spec+2

15. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

16. Stephen Pate

Stephen Pate New Member

Any one care to share stores that are carrying the box set. Near Oslo? or any city in Britain?

EDLIS Café likes this.
  17. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

EDLIS Café and subtr like this.
  18. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

subtr likes this.
  19. RayS

20. oh1

oh1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Piccadilly Records did kind of break what little embargo there was as the release date was due this Monday (6/12) or (12/6) depending on what side of the pond you are, but the release date was vague. Sony stated that it might be delayed by a week and remember there was only 5 days from announcement to delivery.
    I very much doubt that Sony are that concerned that it made the shelves early ( I'm quite surprised that it went on display at all ) as there are only 1000 albums littered around Europe. More so, the customer who may well have waited until Monday before heading down to there local store with the slim chance of picking up a copy. So if you live near a bricks and mortar independent I would go down today or early Monday afternoon as some of the UK stock has yet to be delivered. Also allocation of stock, Rough Trade and especially Badlands in Cheltenham would probably be the best places to enquire they almost certainly would had received a few copies, but just how many there are in the UK, France, Germany, Spain etc?.
    A thousand copies is pretty much the average pressing for a 7" single by a fledgling group, yet alone not even arguably the greatest singer/ songwriter of the 20th century . It continues copyright and becomes a highly desirable collector's item in one fell swoop.
    Ultimately though, the best places to find these will be the likes of Amazon market place & Ebay and probably not for the £90 retail.

21. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

It never went on display at Piccadilly Records. Customers browsing the racks yesterday afternoon would have been unaware the album was in stock. I had to ask for it at the counter, and the set was fetched from the back by a staff member. It had the vibe of buying a bootleg in the 1980s.

DeeThomaz and oh1 like this.
  22. oh1

oh1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well I'm pleased that you were able to walk in and purchase a copy, and for Piccadilly Records knowing it's rarity for selling it to a customer.

23. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Thank you.

Piccadilly Records is an honest, highly regarded establishment. I have been a customer there for 30 years. That said, I don't know any of the staff personally, and I had as much chance as anyone else who read their tweet; perhaps a little more, as I work just ten minutes walk from the store. If I hadn't been so fortunate, I'd have been on the phone to Badlands this afternoon.

Speaking of which, how have people got on with the Badlands pre-sale? Any luck?

24. Badlands is not taking any more pre-orders.

25. JJAM

JJAM Forum Resident

How much was Piccadilly selling it for?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.