Bob Dylan - 50th anniversary collection - 1964

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by oh1, Dec 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

£84.99. They even threw a free mug in; they must have some promo on at the mo.

2. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

And you didn't give us a picture of the mug!! :O

3. stepeanut

Ha! It's a Piccadilly Records mug, not a Dylan item. I didn't think you'd be interested :)

4. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

Just another ultra-completist here :p

stepeanut likes this.
  5. Stephen Pate

Stephen Pate New Member

Piccadilly said they were sold out first thing this morning

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2014
  6. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

Do we know yet whether the Philadelphia show is from a better-quality audio source than the circulating audience recording?

7. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

No, but we know there was a mug involved !

8. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

[​IMG]

subtr and Stephen Pate like this.
  9. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

What? That picture on the mug isn't from '64! The angry mob demands period-correct pictures on their special complimentary mugs!

Timjosephuk likes this.
  10. fallbreaks

Any news on the sound quality of the box?

11. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Before there's an uproar across the Internet, I should point out that this is a random mug picture from a Google search. :)

DmitriKaramazov, fallbreaks and subtr like this.
  12. fallbreaks

Whew! I guess we can put the torches and pitchforks away!

13. beneta

beneta Well-Known Member

Seconded. Especially the live sections. I'm nearly certain that it will just be the circulating audience tapes but I'm more than willing to be wrong.

14. mpmcgowan

mpmcgowan Well-Known Member

I got through to Badlands yesterday. They opened the phone lines at 2pm, I spoke to someone at about 2.45pm. I've reserved my copy, but they said I'd get a copy IF Sony delivered the quantity they promised, as I reserved one of the final copies. Seems strange that Piccadilly had theirs on Friday but Badlands wont have theirs until Mon/Tue. Badlands were charging £99.99 plus postage....and no mention of a mug!

15. stepeanut

Out of interest, how much are Badlands charging this year for postage?

Apologies to all those champing at the bit for details, but the contents of the 1964 box will, no doubt, be in general circulation before I have time to sit and listen. Today is my only day off in a two-week stretch, and I have family stuff to attend to. Be patient; you've already waited 50 years, a few more days won't harm.

16. pillboxer

pillboxer Member

spoke to Badlands at about 2:50. If I don't get my set I know who to blame!

17. pillboxer

pillboxer Member

Badlands charging £10 for postage.

18. stepeanut

That's not bad, actually, considering the weight of this thing. They did a really good job last year, hand-delivered by courier, so I'm sure they'll all reach their respective destinations safe and sound.

19. Paul W

Paul W Senior Member

Good point. Most of the Springsteen recordings were from the mid-70s.

20. hollowhorn

hollowhorn In Memoriam In Memoriam

My local shop received one copy, they were a bit cheeky charging £100 for it but I could not resist. Now if only I owned a turntable. :)

zobalob, subtr, TTGTH and 1 other person like this.
  21. TTGTH

TTGTH New Member

Give it to me ;-) My Project expression will be glad to put these arm around these 9 LP man !

22. Squiggsy68

Squiggsy68 Forum Resident

Just collected mine from Resident Music in Brighton. £89.99.

Hope to have some time later today to clean at least a couple of the discs and have a quick listen - most likely Philadelphia first to see what the quality is like. I haven't seen any definitive answers as to whether this is a poor audience bootleg or a previously unreleased soundboard.

But I have a couple of annoying webinars / training sessions that will take up most of my afternoon first.

subtr and oh1 like this.
  23. If I wanted this I'd never be able to get it. There are no record shops within a 30 mile radius of where I live. But thankfully I really don't want it so it doesn't matter so much. People are talking about 40 CD's worth of material from 1965/66. Are you serious? I can barely get through Bootleg Series Vol. 7 which contains quite a lot of 65/66 out-takes already. I'm too familiar with this material and out-takes bore me to be honest. I can't imagine hearing 20 takes of any song, great or not. I can't also imagine that CD multiplied by 40. Maybe I've heard too much Dylan? Blonde On Blonde is wallpaper music to my ears now. I've heard it too many times. What material exists that could really freshen up the B.O.B. experience for me? Back in the 80's I remember hearing the electric version of "Desolation Row"and thinking it was ok but thanking Dylan that we got the final version on H61R. Maybe I just can't get into any out-takes. I always prefer to buy stand-alone versions of albums without "bonus material" attached in preference to the expanded versions!

24. Resident Music has one copy left. You have to come to the store to pick it up. They are not allowed to post it out.

25. fallbreaks

Well of course the point of the releases is to protect Bob and Sony's copyright rather than to make a listenable product for anyone. If they don't releae this stuff now, the material will enter the public domain and they'll lose the exclusive rights to it. There are a lot of live shows from 65-66 that would create a ton of redundancy but they'll still need to release them if they want to protect their rights. If they do a mainstream release too Itll be much shorter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.