Bob Dylan - Blonde On Blonde & G.Hits 180 gram LPs. Comments please.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris R, Aug 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris R

Chris R Forum Fones Thread Starter

I ordered the Sundazed mono Blonde On Blonde LP from a&b sound recently. I received a call yesterday telling me my special order was in. I raced down only to find out that they brought in the Simply Vinyl stereo 180 gram LP. Now they say they can't get the Sundazed mono LP. Odd since they carry other Sundazed titles including the Byrds LPs. :confused:

Also, I noticed a 180 gram stereo Bob Dylan - Greatest Hits LP in the vinyl section.

My question is how do these LPs sound? Are they worth picking up anyways? I was planning to also order the mono Sundazed G. Hits LP but a&b can't get that one either. :confused:

I was impressed with the Blonde On Blonde LP having the original orange U.K. CBS label.

Guess I'll have to expensively order the Sundazed on-line.

Thanks.

p.s. I already own a near mint, early 1970s Japanese CBS/Sony stereo Blonde On Blonde LP set.

2. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian

3. rontokyo

rontokyo Senior Member

Mike, from what I've read, the Sundazed mono *very* closely matches the original. If you like the album, buying the mono is a no-brainer. The sound is very, very warm and the music works as one piece--as it should as Dylan spent quite a bit of time mixing the mono version [and none whatsoever on the stereo].

BTW, why not just order directly from Sundazed? And why not pick up a mono copy of possibly the greatest rock album ever--Highway 61 Revisited?

4. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Get Bringing it all back Home also!

All 3 essential in mono from Sundazed.

5. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

My .02 here.. I don't have the mono Blonde nor the mono GH (I'd kill for the mono Blonde right now). Anyway, I do have the mono Bringing It All Back Home (Sundazed) and let me tell you, I'd heard this album before, but as soon as I heard the mono I knew this was IT.

There's no contest to me. The mono mix just has an urgency and punch the stereo mix does not have, period. I can't listen to the stereo anymore, and I'm not kidding. It just sounds so weedy now.

6. David Powell

David Powell Well-Known Member

I would advise you to get all the Sundazed Dylan mono releases while they're still in print & relatively inexpensive. For mono fans -- be sure to get the Sundazed mono collection of Byrds singles also.:thumbsup:

7. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam

I have all the Sundazed Dylan Mono's, (the ones they have done so far) and I love all of them. You can tell this is a labor of love for Bob Irwin.

8. rontokyo

rontokyo Senior Member

A labor of love, indeed! My advice to anyone interested in early Dylan is to pick up the titles you like before they go OOP . . . and you kick yourself for not picking them up earlier. Sundazed has provided us with a "Wayback Machine" where we all get a second chance to buy what we shouldn've bought [or held on to] years ago.

9. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

What Ron said. I've already raved about the MONO Dylans enough. If you don't get em now, too bad fer yew.

10. stever

stever Senior Member

The Byrds mono singles are fantastic!! What are the Sundazed Dylan mono titles? I only have BOB and Freewheelin'. Will any of the upcoming Dylan SACD hybrids have mono mixes on them?

11. Mark H

Mark H Senior Member

Also snag "The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan " and especially " The Times They Are A' Changin' " both great Lps nicely done. If you are into any '60's blues or soul grab the Otis Redding Sundazed re-issues of " Otis Blue" and "Born Under a Bad Sign" by Albert King you won't be sorry!

12. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

Dittto to all of the above, You need the Freewheelin' Bob Dylan abum in Mono - it is the only way to listen to this album. Blonde on Blonde (stereo or mono) is IMO one of the top five albums of all time - essential listening.

13. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Forget this one. It is not the Sundazed. If you want the stereo, look for a 360 sound original OR even a regular weight 70s Columbia for probably half the price and twice the sonics.

As for the Sundazed, I can only echo what's been said before.

ORDER from Sundazed DIRECT if you have to.

14. David Powell

Re: Re: Bob Dylan - Blonde On Blonde & G.Hits 180 gram LPs. Comments please.

A mono version of Dylan's Greatist Hits (vol. 1) is indeed available from Sundazed as their latest release in the Dylan series. Isn't this the last Dylan title to feature a true mono mix? If so, I wonder if there are any future releases from Sundazed planned.

15. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Re: Re: Re: Bob Dylan - Blonde On Blonde & G.Hits 180 gram LPs. Comments please.

David,
    The version miike saw in the vinyl section is the "stereo" 180 gram scorpio re-issue. I have not heard this particular issue, but if it sounds anything like the other scorpio Dylans, you would be better off finding a regular seventies copy.
    The Greatest Hits 180 gram mono IS the Sundazed and highly recommended by me (and others) on a previous thread.

Sundazed does indeed have more Dylan LPs on the way...John Wesley Harding and Oh Mercy have already been announced (no release date yet).
    I believe Dylan's first album in mono is also awaiting release.

16. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

The Sony Music SACD hybrid releases will either feature multi-channel and stereo or just stereo. Even though there is room, they apparently do not understand why anyone would want a mono version. Are they Brain Dead? perhaps, but those are the facts.

Richard.

17. David Powell

I'm still trying to figure out the logic behind choosing "Another Side of Bob Dylan" as one of the initial hybrid releases to feature multi-channel. With just vocal & harmonica, along with guitar or piano, it would seem that this would be a perfect choice for including a mono mix rather than a multi.:confused:

18. stever

stever Senior Member

Excellent article in the latest ICE about the Dylan SACD project.

19. Chris R

20. Chris R

Thanks Ron. I have been thinking about a mono Highway 61 as well.
    I own an original Columbia Canada mono Bringing It All Back Home, plus a VG+ Dutch stereo copy from the early/mid 1970s. The album was retitled Subterranean Homesick Blues. I think these two LPs should hold me over for a while.

Has anyone heard the 180 gram stereo Blonde On Blonde from Simply Vinyl? As I mentioned it sure looks sweet. Now all we need is some nice stereo analogue sound to go with the great looking vinyl and label.

I may pick it up anyway. Probably wouldn't hurt to have 2 or 3 copies of one of my favourite albums from the mid 1960s. At last count I have around 9 Sgt. Pepper's. :D

21. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam

Mike,
    By all means pick up the Simply Vinyl "Blonde On Blonde" you'll enjoy it. There is two versions of the "Blonde On Blonde," one has the original gatefold photo's inside and supposedly plays the U.K stereo mix. The second version has the current gatefold photo's and plays the U.S. stereo mix. I got this information off a Dylan web site. I have a number of the Dylan Simply Vinyl titles and I enjoy all of them.

22. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Blonde on Blonde Simply Vinyl SVLP63:

Here's what Roger Ford says in his web site:

180g vinyl reissue.
    Early copies have original stereo vinyl mix
    (e.g. matrix SVLP 0063 A -1-1-/ )
    Later copies have first abridged version of standard CD mix!
    (e.g. matrix 08 45860 20 1A1 SVLP 063 )

My SV copy has the original "Claudia Cardinale" photos but unfortunately it has the standard CD mix matrix numbers. On the other hand, I'm not too sorry since I also have a 70s UK orange label pressing with the "original" stereo mix.

23. stever

stever Senior Member

The quandary here is that you don't know which mix you have until you are able to look at the deadwax?

24. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

My point.

If you want the "original" stereo mix of Blonde on Blonde Simply Vinyl you better look for one used and check the matrix or make sure you "ASK THE SELLER" first if you try eBay. Buying a sealed one now will almost guarantee you'll get the second later pressing. The early pressings are long gone.

I'm furious at Simply Vinyl for doing this. First they release the right version, word of mouth gets around that this is a must-have, BoB goes out print for a few months. Then... a re-pressing comes out, everybody wants one and what you get is the short CD mix. SHAMEFUL.

25. stever

stever Senior Member

That's certainly a load of b.s. Thanx for the heads-up on that info -- I almost bought BoB last weekend from a local record store because all their Simply Vinyl is $20.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.