Bob Dylan: Bootleg Series Vol 13 Trouble No More -- Pricing & Shipping Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by HominyRhodes, Sep 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Anybody else think that these electronic tracking notices are somewhat appropriate given the "Slow Train Coming" theme of Trouble No More? There is even a track with many, many stops on the left hand side. And I can only sympathise that the train did not stop at your local station! My train didn't either and I had to go chasing down the track to recover the package that looked like it had been run over by the train!

mrjinks and HominyRhodes like this.
  2. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

I've just heard from Georgia, at Sandbag. Apparently mine is now fairly close by, and "tendered to delivery service provider" as of yesterday. I don't know whether this means USPS or DHL will run the last lap to my apartment--hopefully, USPS since they have access to the building. I foresee problems if it is DHL.

dormouse and HominyRhodes like this.
  3. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

I haven't heard jack from them in two days.

4. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

I read your post just as Bob was wailing " The answer is blowin' in the wind" at Earls Court for the second time this evening and he should know! ;) You are very lucky that it is NOT UK Mail who are involved - they destroyed my box en-route.

You are in for a treat when it does reach the door I can assure you!

streetlegal likes this.
  5. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

I agree JRT. I think people need to keep a little in touch with reality.

Sandbag only stated that they would endeavour to deliver on the release date, but that it was dependent on other factors. If I remember correctly. A court would have to consider whether delivery on a specific date was an important part of the contract, or not. I guess they would decide that it was a factor, but not the major factor behind a purchase. Hence, refund of delivery charges would seem a suitable reccompence.

6. John Rhett Thomas

I'm totally willing to put it to the FTC to see if there's been anything worth looking at here. If there's fine print that absolves them of the fact that they sent it via crappy DHL versus the USPS Priority Mail that I thought I was purchasing, then they should be ashamed of themselves and so should BobCo. and I'm just fine pushing it to that point based on the circumstances. It's very rare I get feisty as a consumer but when I do they will understand my wrath.

7. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident Thread Starter

For customers in the US, how hard Sandbag may have 'endeavored' to fulfill their obligations is irrelevant. By secretly downgrading the shipping from USPS Priority Mail to DHL Parcel Select on many of the orders, without informing the customers, they pulled a bait and switch. Again, whether or not that's illegal, I don't know, but it's certainly a misrepresentation of the facts, and a refund of only the shipping charges seems like much too small of a penalty for them to pay.

Percy Song and DeeThomaz like this.
  8. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

IbMePdErRoIoAmL lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate

This. Exactly.

Not for US buyers. The shipping option of "Priority Mail" is a trademarked & clearly defined service, legally speaking. Sandbag chose not to use that service. Therefore, any issues arising from shipping delays are the fault of Sandbag alone due to their fraudulent activities. DHL is indeed a terrible carrier but that, too, falls on Sandbag - not the customer.

9. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Who downgraded the shipping from USPC Priority Mail to DHL Parcel Select ? Do you know ?

10. HominyRhodes

11. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

How do you know it was Sandbag's decision ? I am not trying to defend them, but am looking at it from a legal point of view,

12. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

My DHL tracking page shows that Sandbag started the process by sending my box from somewhere in the US to DHL in Illinois. Every online address I see for Sandbag is in the UK. Where in the US did the package begin its journey?

13. HominyRhodes

If not Sandbag's decision, then who?

Here's my order confirmation, Sept. 20, 2017:

[​IMG]

14. John Rhett Thomas

I fully anticipate some corporate speak that says "when we said priority mail, we didn't mean Priority Mail. We meant your 'mail' would be a 'priority'...however we see fit."

And I'll only add that if they do try that, they will not get away with it. But they still have ample opportunity to make right with their customers.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  15. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Firstly, what does 'priority mail' mean ? Do you know ? Maybe DHL, or it could be something else ? Secondly, who changed this to 'DHL parcel ' Sandbag or DHL " ? Do you know ? I am just trying to show the problems you may have in pointing blame.
    Eventually, when boxes turn up, I think people should chill. Legal action is really fraught with danger.

16. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

I get what you're saying & it is, indeed, speculation. I've not seen the contract between Sony (or bobdylan.com) & Sandbag. However, I would be beyond shocked if it explicitly required Sandbag commit fraud in their shipping services & charges. If that is, in fact, the case then everyone involved needs to find new counsel.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  17. John Rhett Thomas

Priority Mail is a trademarked term by the United States Postal Service which means delivery in 2-3 days and tracking that actually functions reasonably well. Plus if you have a problem you can walk into a post office and take it up with an actual human being who can look into things personally. (At least, that's my experience.) The USPS has marketed this term heavily since its inception. Everybody who uses the mail system in the US knows what Priority Mail mean, particularly the USPS' competitors FedEx, UPS and...DHL. An online retailer like Sandbag should know what the term means. Them being based in the UK is no excuse.

Contacting the FTC (the Federal Trade Commission) is not a legal act. It's the FTC's job to look into consumer issues just like this. All you have to do is contact them and make them aware of things like a large scale bait-and-switch.

Usually a threat to take things up with the FTC clarifies the retailer's thinking that they should step up their customer service and resolve things quickly and amicably.

18. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

Again, in the US "Priority Mail" is a registered trademark of the United States Postal Service. It does not guarantee a delivery date. Nor does it involve non-USPS contractors for domestic service. If the item was actually sent "Priority Mail" it would never have been in the possession of DHL. "Parcel Select" (the shipping option utilized by Sandbag) is a distinct & far cheaper service that does involve sub-contractors. I don't know about Poland but it's pretty cut & dried in the US.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  19. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Sorry, the phrase 'priority mail' means nothing. Arguably, it was not used by Sandbag as a trademark of anybody.

20. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

Are you at all familiar with the US Postal Service? Or US patent law? Or contract law?

21. LoveandTheft

LoveandTheft Forum Resident

I have the same status except the update from 11/11; only up to 11/10 Sent for further processing...

22. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

No, but Sandbag is a British company. If they quote 'Priority mail' it means nothing. It doesn't necessarily relate to DHL. The US doesn't own the rights.to the phrase ;-) What if DHL changed the delivery procedure from their priority mail to ................ . ?

23. Lesbeat

Lesbeat Forum Resident

Had Germany won the war,
    I emailed a refund request and received an email next morning. I got my refund from them in about 24 hours after my request. Of course, since I paid by PayPal it came back from PayPal.

24. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

The time has come for me to remind myself of a favorite Mark Twain quote & leave you to your beliefs.

25. Lesbeat

Lesbeat Forum Resident

According to my conversation with DHL, sandbag chose -“contracted”, I believe was the word they used- the shipping.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.