Bob Dylan: Bootleg Series Vol 13 Trouble No More -- Pricing & Shipping Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by HominyRhodes, Sep 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

Yesterday I got an email from Sandbag that elided all other concerns and simply posted a link to tracking and said "This is going to be delivered today". I shared the text of that email upthread. That delivery never came.

This morning I got an identical email promising delivery today. At this point I have to assume these people are trolling me.

I've called my credit card company and they have been very helpful. Next up, lodging a complaint at the FTC's website. After that, emails to Sony and Bob Co. If anyone has email addresses (I know they've been shared already) can you post again so it can spare me searching back through the discussion? I've already spent way too much time and hassle on this, as have we all. All I want is to get my hands on and my ears around music I've been waiting decades for...I've followed through on my part of the bargain by forking over $200 bucks on Day One. These Sandbag people are being a bunch of...well..I'm not gonna use the words I want to use out of respect for forum rules.

2. joannenugent

joannenugent Forum Resident

For better or worse USPS is way more reliable in my town than FedEx. USPS has a Priority Mail distribution center about 8 miles from my house, so I always get Priority Mail in 2 days from anywhere in the continental US, and pretty much anything from the EU in 5 days (and 2 days from Japan). USPS also has legal access to my building so I get my packages delivered to my door.

FedEx does not have access to my building and they just leave the package at their distribution center some 20 miles away and force me to take a train out there to pick it up (20 miles is a long way in an urban environment - even with a car it would be at least a 1hr trip).

That is why I always try to get USPS Priority Mail when I can. Who knew that Priority Mail in this case meant DHL eCommerce. Haha I have never ever had anything delivered though a DHL service before and had no clue they were so unreliable. I guess I don't usually order from any company stupid enough to use their service.

On a side note, both FedEx and UPS also have bulk rate service options, where the final leg is delivered by USPS. While certainly slower than a non-bulk rate shipping method, I still have never had to wait more than 5 days for anything shipping with either of these companies. I have no idea what DHL is doing worng or why Sandbag is being so cheap to use them after charging such a huge shipping cost (compared to other retailers).

DeeThomaz and John Rhett Thomas like this.
  3. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Just wanted those of you who haven't received your sets to know that just because I (FINALLY!) received mine, I'm not done raising hell with these people. I had not contacted Sandbag prior to this - because I wanted to see if the damned thing ever arrived - but I just sent them the following message on their site:
    I paid for "Priority Shipping" for this order, and your company claims "pre-order items will be shipped to reach you on the official release date". I received the item 11 days after the release date - shipped "parcel select", not "Priority Shipping".

DHL informed me the parcel was sent "Ground" and stated, in an email, that "I understand this shipment was supposed to be sent under Priority Mail, which takes from 2-5 postal days to be delivered. Since we received a different instruction on how to ship your package, I strongly recommend you to contact your vendor, for them to review with you."

I know individuals who ordered from your site with FEDEX delivery and received this on the release date.

Additionally, the item was poorly packaged (some dented corners). If I would've ordered this via amazon.com, the price would've been over $50 less, with no shipping charges (current amazon price: $120.19) and I would've received a pristine copy on the release date.

How do you propose to remedy this situation, prior to me filing complaints with the Better Business Bureau (where you currently have a "D-" rating) and/or the FTC, for "deceptive business practices" related to your dishonesty regarding shipping methods? NOTE: I will also be contacting Sony/BobDylan.com regarding your misleading promises to the artist's most loyal followers...​

4. John Rhett Thomas

I'm guessing the reason we've only gotten tracking numbers churned back to us the last week or so in lieu of anything approaching honest, above-the-board customer service, is that they realize anything they say can and will be used against them in a court of law or regulatory inquiry.

That BBB rating of D- is shockingly high.

DeeThomaz and HominyRhodes like this.
  5. John Rhett Thomas

A most excellently concise appraisal of the issue. Well done. Do you or does anyone else have a screenshot of the claim that "pre-order items will be shipped to reach on the official release date" ? My CC company is gathering information and I've sent them my wacky tracking history and the billing for Priority Mail. It would be nice to also show them the bait Sandbag put out promising expedited fulfillment.

6. vegard martinsen

vegard martinsen Forum Resident

My tracking site has not been updated since Saturday at 1:16 PM. My box was then somewhere in Germany. The Norwegian tracking site shows no result.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  7. Jack

Jack Senior Member

It's clear that Sandbag knows nothing about the debacle and what the tracking system means. This morning they informed me that my item is still En Route, and they sent me a screen shot of the latest tracking update. I had to tell them that the tracking was updated because I was the one who checked it and it was then updated! Unbelievable!
    I also sent them two tweets asking them to check on my order number. No response. Even though they have checked other order numbers for people(non-Dylan orders).

HominyRhodes likes this.
  8. Never. Again.

9. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Right on their website:
    When will I receive a physical product item I pre-ordered? : helpdesk

John Rhett Thomas likes this.
  10. John Rhett Thomas

mrjinks likes this.
  11. I get it but Fedex guarantees a specific date when your package will arrive and you get a refund from them if it's late (unless due to weather or something like that). And their tracking is great. You ca even sign up for updates where it is and when it is scheduled to arrive or have it held at their facility so you can pick it up at your convenience.

I have an account w Fedex for my business so I constantly get updates when anyone sends a package to my address, Having an account is free. You only pay when you ship.

12. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

Probably just coincidence, but after sending my last email to Sandbag and Sony this morning stating I expected a full refund if my package did not arrive by this Friday............
    Lo and Behold.........

November 15, 2017 at 11:20 am
    DELIVERED, FRONT DOOR/PORCH
    WHITE PLAINS, NY 10607

HominyRhodes and mrjinks like this.
  13. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

While USPS did NOT actually leave any notice, I sent my lady to the post office this morning (my car not working) and indeed it is now in my hands.

It was well packed, bubblewrapped inside a box. Like someone else above, the return address was some not-DHL fulfillment house with an Austin return address.

Thanks for all the commisseration, all. And praise to MrJinks for noting the fact I thought was appropriate but didn't realize ACTUALLY WAS PROMISED, that is, pre orders GETTING to us on release date.

14. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

Finally got my set incl San Diego. Actually it was delivered last Friday to my local store with postal services. Been away so I couldn't pick it up until today. Still, it took a week from release day.
    I really hope you guys who are waiting get it soon.

This is one historic mess. I hope the complaints reaches the right people.

15. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sony's chosen distribution agent for this release, Sandbag, collected the money, but I'll bet they never had physical custody of the merchandise.

For those of us who opted for Priority Mail (in America, that means the US Postal Service), our box sets appear to have been delivered direct from the factory to a cut-rate bulk-shipping 'fulfillment' agent in Austin, Texas ('OneLive'), the sub-contractor chosen by Sandbag.

OneLive warehouse workers bubble-wrapped them, dropped each one into a plain brown box, slapped a "PARCEL SELECT" shipping label on it (not PRIORITY MAIL), and stacked the boxes on pallets. Then the sub-sub-contractor, DHL, with whom OneLive had negotiated an "incredibly low shipping rate," sent a truck to pick them up and brought them to their own shipping 'hub' in Houston, and that notoriously inaccurate bizzarro-world tracking system took hold.

DHL was paid to deliver the boxes to the USPS, the sub-sub-sub-contractor, who were paid to deliver the boxes "the last mile" to our doorsteps. Some of us have actually gotten our orders, but many of those packages have apparently not been seen since that fateful Tuesday morning in Houston.

It's been a pathetic display of greed and incompetence, and if you added up all the time people have WASTED following the alleged "tracking" of their packages online, and exchanging meaningless messages with clueless 'shipping partners' we could have all listened to this new Dylan release several times over and been raving about it over in the main thread. I still haven't unsealed the thing, and I'm not sure when, or even if, I will.

The supporting cast in this screwball comedy of errors can finger-point all they want, but the question remains --what's Sony going to do about it?

16. Jbeck57143

Jbeck57143 Forum Resident

I got an email from them today saying they will reship the scratched discs when they get more stock in.

17. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Of course, they will rely on a colony of ants guided by sonic waves to deliver those replacement discs to you.

18. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

Unless there’s other bugs who are cheaper than ants.

19. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I'm just hoping I didn't perpetuate a scientific inplausability with my sarcasm.

Electric Sydney likes this.
  20. Mistakes and incompetence yes, but greed ? Come on.

Even though my Dylan set arrived on release day I’ve had other albums and boxes come late from various sources over the years. And yes I wrote sellers in some of the cases . But Ya gotta just stop looking every minute and enjoy the music we have until the next thing arrives. It’s been like watching paint dry around here.

I totally understand the disappointment and frustration. Yes they screwed up here but some folks are talking like they were personally mugged and assisted.. real world problems

It’s ridiculous. Imho.

Wugged, joannenugent and chacha like this.
  21. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

IbMePdErRoIoAmL lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate

Yeah, it's ridiculous to think a multi-national media corporation would ever be motivated by greed. :rolleyes:

Your set arrived in a timely fashion because it was shipped via the method you chose & paid for. This was not the case for many other folks.

No offense, but if you don't like what you're seeing in this thread, why do you keep checking in?

Jack and HominyRhodes like this.
  22. Because I too have been a victim :tiphat: of big companies screwing up shipping and manufacturing at times as well and this topic is of interest to me line it is to you. That’s why I follow here and other threads

Wether or not I buy a specific turntable record or what not , discussion threads are important.

Again if you missed my point, I understand Folks being really upset. The label fu$ed up but it wasn’t malicious, just a stupid error. But threatening legal action, class action, etc because your music is a week or two late is silly imho ?

23. joannenugent

joannenugent Forum Resident

Don't get me wrong, in my opinion, FedEx, UPS, and USPS are all great! Different locations/situations tend to favor one of the three more than the other is all.

I do have an account with Fedex, UPS, and USPS and I actually get the same service through USPS.

Each morning I get a photograph of each package or piece of mail that will be delivered to me that day. If it is a Priority Mail package, I do get notification when a package is accepted by USPS along with an estimated delivery date (not guaranteed like FedEx - but then again, I have never had a package arrive late either), and then of course I get a photo of the label upon delivery day (if I wanted I could also get tracking status updates for each new scan for each piece of mail, but gosh, that is a lot of extra emails hahaha)! And like with FedEx, USPS will hold my mail, deliver it to another local address, or deliver it at a later date (all of which I can control from my account page).

I do take advantage of all of these free services, since I tend to get a lot of mail...and I travel a lot....so controlling delivery is kind of vital for me. The company with the least free options, in my area, is UPS, but gosh, our local UPS delivery man is the nicest guy in the world and he always takes good care of me :agree:

Haha I also get same day guaranteed delivery from pretty much anything I order from Amazon as long as I get my order in by 2PM. While it is nice to get something same day when in a pinch, Amazon's local delivery service tends to be a little irregular, often not arriving until 9PM. They also don't have access into the building, which is unfortunate. But they do e-mail me a picture of the package and where it was left it upon delivery! Helpful when trying to figure out which door it went too.

Mazzy and DeeThomaz like this.
  24. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

IbMePdErRoIoAmL lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate

I think we'll just have to disagree on this point. I see the duplicitous shipping agreement of the purchase contract as fraud & certainly not a "stupid error." I'm not advocating legal action but it appears there may be some grounds for it. In any case, there certainly aren't enough folks who give a damn to make a class action suit lucrative. If Sony (or Sandbag) made some good-will gesture of restitution I think that would go a long way toward putting this whole thing to bed. But I don't see it happening & I, too, understand why folks are frustrated & angry with the shuck & jive treatment.

mrjinks and John Rhett Thomas like this.
  25. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Yep.

I don't agree with legal action either, as the costs would likely far outstrip the benefits (unless there is a high powered lawyer who was also screwed over and decided to go pro bono out there). But people here were clearly misled and mis-served. I don't want to ever make a purchase from this company again, but if there is a sufficiently enticing bonus included, I can't pretend I wouldn't be very tempted to make the plunge again (is the "fool me once, fool me twice" adage relevant here?). I would very much like Sony/Dylan.com/Sandbag to have an incentive to behave much better in the future. Also, I'd like folks here to get the music they were promised. There are still outstanding deliveries, aren't there?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.