Bob Dylan: Bootleg Series Vol 13 Trouble No More -- Pricing & Shipping Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by HominyRhodes, Sep 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident Thread Starter

Very sorry about the poor quality of your experience over here in this thread...is there anything we can do to cheer you up? No? Okay, then, catch you later. Thanks for stopping by.

JMGuerr, rod, Mazzy and 1 other person like this.
  2. OK fair enough. Last time with the Cutting Edge box they shipped right on time and target. This time a % of their shipments were late. Not ideal, but I will always give a company another chance when sh%t like this happens.

I do agree they should offer a carrot to you all though.

mrjinks likes this.
  3. There were quality control issues with that one, however. Remember how many people had glue on their discs, and scratches? There’s a recurring pattern, it just takes different forms, and goes back to cutting costs.

4. Forgot about that. I didn't have issues with mine but I tend to just try to fix things myself whenever possible. But my set didn't have glue issues.

Sorry that some did.

Blue Note likes this.
  5. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

My Cutting Edge shipped right on time and on target, too. Was that Sandbag? I don't think it was. I very, very rarely complain about stuff like this. Even slight damage to an item doesn't send me through the roof or off to get a refund/replacement. My shelves are loaded down with items that have dings and tears that would send some folks here crying to a padded room.

It takes a lot to get my dander up but fraudulent promises are one of them. Not rising to the occasion with good customer service is another one. There's nothing that mollifies me more quickly than a genuine attempt to make things right. But that's not what I got in this case. I got ignored and insulted. I don't take that lightly...especially when the operation doing the insulting has 200 of my dollars and has introduced unneeded inconvenience into my life.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  6. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

This articulates everything about why I am still on the thread, even though I received my set on time (though with needless ambiguity if I would received the San Diego set, which I did). These circumstances have pressed all my buttons. You nicely lay them all out.

Tom Schreck and mrjinks like this.
  7. HominyRhodes

I've been informed that your check from the Corporate Apologist Speakers Bureau is on its way. One little hitch -- you were expecting it to be sent by Priority Mail, but someone downgraded that to DHL Parcel Select. Tough luck. You might wanna hold off on ordering any more fancy box sets until you get that straightened out.

And I accept your apology -- I'm glad you now understand that it's important to actually read the posts, and grasp what the issues are before weighing in. 'Lesson learned' by you, huh?!

8. joannenugent

joannenugent Forum Resident

If my memory serves me correctly, all of my previous Bob Dylan store purchases (going back to Christmas in the Heart) were through MusicToday. All my previous Bob Dylan store purchases arrived promptly and well packed. The few times I ever had a problem, they always sent me a replacement ASAP.

The only problem I ever remember having (other than manufacturing issues - which are purely Sony's fault) is that the high resolution download for the Cutting Edge deluxe set was very very very buggy. MusicToday tried to blame it on the fact that it was high res and a large file size. The truth was their download software was very poorly written, not stable and simply could not handle anything other than mp3s very well. I think it took me something like 2-3 months (having to call in each time to have them reset my download counter), before I actually got all the digital music files. I wonder if it was that problem that prompted Sony to switch providers (pure speculation on my part).

Of course in the download scenario, I did have the physical box set in hand to listen too, while trying to sort through the download mess! Although trying to deal with their tech support through the holiday season sure was not very fun....

9. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

IbMePdErRoIoAmL lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate

Bingo! Give that man a kewpie doll! Well-stated, sir.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  10. I totally get it. I don't recall who serviced and shipped the Cutting Edge. I believe you if it was someone different than Sandbag.

I'm just beyond getting all upset about this crap but obviously it affects us differently. That isn't me saying others shouldn't, but IMHO it doesn’t make me feel any better.

Way back when the stereo Beatles box had all those pressing issues with Rainbow, I actually sent a nicely written and polite letter to the president of Capitol Records.I explained the problems as clearly and as succinct as I could. And I Fedexed it to him. A guy in their legal department actually called me a few days later and we chatted for about half an hour about the issues and the record biz (I used to be in it), and he shipped me a full new American box and most of the individual Euro pressings too-all that he had handy.

When you act rude and angry, you rarely get the response and solution you really want.

Wugged, chacha and dbacon like this.
  11. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I think he'd rather a copy of "Trouble No More" w/San Diego.

12. I've read every single post here over the past few weeks and more. My good buddy in New Jersey just got his set two day ago and we chatted about it. He wasn't happy about the delay but he took it in stride.

chacha likes this.
  13. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

My rudeness and anger wasn't an act!! :righton: But, trust me, it only came after first being polite and then being civil. I escalated my response but their behavior dictated everything.

I think you got treated the way you did in your anecdote because you were dealing with people that wanted to do right by you and had empathy for your situation. This outfit strikes me as aloof from it all, just pushing product through the mail all slow-like on the cheap. This San Diego exclusive was their license to abuse us. (I know, I know...never threaten your pusher. It never ends well.)

mrjinks, Mazzy and DeeThomaz like this.
  14. HominyRhodes

We paid $175 for the box set and the SD show through BD.com. Retailers are selling the box set, without SD, for about $120. If Sony wants to make amends to those of us whose shipment's were needlessly delayed because of of their subcontractors sketchy business practices, they could send us each a refund of $55 -- the extra cost of the SD discs. That might put things right.

...zzzzzzzzzzz....

15. This thread is entertaining at the very least. Like rubber Neckers passing a car crash. :tiphat:

16. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

That seems fair. Actually, I'd prefer you all get fully refunded. But I think in most cases reasonable compromises can be made.

17. tededfred

tededfred Forum Resident

Sandbag bastards are now asking for pictures of my scratched discs. CDs are just about the hardest thing to take pictures of. Great customer service...

18. Jbeck57143

Jbeck57143 Forum Resident

You mean they actually asked you to send photos of the discs? I just submitted a ticket from the helpdesk without attaching any photos. The next day they sent me an email saying they would reship the scratched discs when they got more copies of the box.

19. tededfred

tededfred Forum Resident

Yes, they actually want pictures. I emailed them Monday. Alex replied: "Please can you provide some images of the damaged CD's?"

20. Jbeck57143

Jbeck57143 Forum Resident

Alex is nuts. They don't need photos. Amazon doesn't ask for photos of damaged merchandise. Discs would be a pain to photograph. The email I got was from someone named Georgia. Here's the email:

Hi James,
    Thank you for your email.
    We are awaiting more stock of the bootleg series. When we get more in I will reship the scratched CDs.
    Apologise that you received your item damaged.
    Kind Regards,
    Georgia, on behalf of the Customer Service team.

21. tededfred

tededfred Forum Resident

Paging Dr. Rhino!

22. this thread is awesome.

I'm still waiting in rural British Columbia.

Sandbag refunded my shipping charges.

My box is supposedly in Mississauga.

Of course it could show up tomorrow.

Love the comments about legal action - would kill to see that argued in court:

"Could you please describe the loss for which you are seeking damages?"

"your honor, it is not just I, but thousands upon thousands of Dylan fans, who spent decades believing these albums were ****e, but have now seen the (cough) light, and have unlawfully been deprived of 2 weeks of listening and exclaiming to others how we always knew of this era's general merit and badassery."

[gavel crash]

"Judgment for the plaintiffs, damages set at $1".

23. Maybe it will arrive by Christmas. The kid’s birthday. :tiphat:

24. kronning

kronning Forum Resident

That Nazarene Kid?

mrjinks and Mazzy like this.
  25. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I'll be making my one and only appearance here.

My set seemed to stall in Houston for an unreasonable amount of time, before making it to New Jersey last Friday. Of course, last Friday and Saturday were holidays. Early Tuesday morning (hey, Monday wasn't a holiday!), it appears to have made it to my neighborhood, only to get shipped out... to a different neighborhood. There is an update that simply says "missent." OOPS. After a few more meaningless updates (all in the same neighboorhood) it winds up at a sort facility. And then they said I'd have it by 8pm today. And it seems USPS can never get that right, because whenever they say I'll have it by 8pm on a certain day, the only thing that is certain is that it won't make it until the following day. Only late this afternoon did it make it back to my neighborhood post office, apparently just under 36 hours after it first arrived there.

It has only been this year that I've had any such problems. The other notable story was this past winter, when a note was left from USPS claiming that they took a package back, and that I had to pick it up. Mind you, they didn't actually leave the address of where to pick it up, and I had to guess which post office was the right one. Not that it mattered, because when I went, they couldn't find it, and told me it was out for delivery. And yet somehow, it still took a day after that before I got it. Where did it go? Was it on a mail truck, and just left there an extra day? Or did they send it back to a sorting facility? All because I wasn't home (and I didn't need to sign, so what the issue was I will never know.)

Ah, I feel better now. Well, a little better. I'll feel a lot better when I actually have it in hand. So much for spending my vacation enjoying this set. Thankfully I had other things planned as well!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.