Bob Dylan: Bootleg Series Vol 13 Trouble No More -- Pricing & Shipping Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by HominyRhodes, Sep 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

Still waiting for Sandbag to ship as of 29th November. Never again.

2. Jbeck57143

Jbeck57143 Forum Resident

I emailed them about Jimmy B's replacement disc being sent by itself inside a thin envelope, the disc wrapped in bubble wrap--without being placed in a sleeve or case and arriving all scratched up. I told them the replacement discs need to be sent in individual paper sleeves or cases. Today I got the following email from them:

"Hi ,
    If there are any issues with the replacements please get back in touch, we were shipping replacement CDs by any means as a matter of urgency for these orders.
    We have now sourced blank cases so in case anything happens with the replacements we will be able to resend with surer packaging.
    Kindest regards,

Jordan, on behalf of the customer service team."

I emailed them before finding out about the replacement being from the European pressing and not the U.S. pressing, so I haven't asked them about that.

3. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

"Shipping replacements by any means" Sigh! That doesn't sound good in anyone's books. It is also how they mailed my original package. Not secured inside an inadequate wrap around piece of card and no bubblewrap or protective material at all. DO NOT sign for anything until you have checked everything in detail. How could they send an email like that? It's desperate in the extreme. You may as well ask them to send replacement replacements now!

4. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

Ironic coda, and I found the same thing with the Basement set: while I obviously needed to have this set, it alas came out at a time when I'm actually not particularly in the MOOD to listen to this music. Started with San Diego set and was very underwhelmed, but aware it's more where my heads at than inherent issues with music. (Tho it is NOT a great and vivid recording, I don't think.)

5. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

It is probably the lesser of the live material. Nice to have but the core material is superior. Good to have live material from each year. I was pretty annoyed when I started listening after major problems but I soon cheered up with the quality of the main recordings. Give them a chance with a good head.

6. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

Gotta come back to say, I fixed my problems with San Diego, and now have loved first three discs, by turning it up from around 2 on my stereo to around 4 . At relatively low volume a lot of the music just fades. Played with enough volume, it's all quite punchy and satisfying.

Richard--W and dormouse like this.
  7. AheadByEcho

AheadByEcho Forum Resident

Here's a surprising piece of info: I was checking out my credit card receipt for this month and discovered that Sandbag credited me with $9.22 (I'm in the US). I know that it was recommended by many on this forum to request that Sandbag deduct the shipping costs. I didn't, only because I did not have any kind of confirmation from them and I couldn't recall what shipping method I requested. I was surprised (and very pleased) to see they credited me with the cost of shipping so I would urge anyone who didn't request it, to check your credit card receipt and hopefully you will have the same pleasant surprise that I found on mine.

Clanceman likes this.
  8. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

SPECIAL UNRELATED ANNOUNCEMENT:-

After many months without a home "Electric Dylan" is back!

The format is much the same but Roger has made revisions to all the sections and, perhaps best of all for those who do not subscribe to ISIS magazine, he has included his six part forensic examination of "The Cutting Edge Collector's Edition" in the original PDF format! Even better, he has added "sticky note" revisions to those articles. (It is best to download the articles, because the digital "sticky notes" don't work too well on screen; the latest two, dealing with the BS7 sampler snippets, are a bit wonky on the downloads as well, but I expect Roger will get them sorted out before long.)

The whole thing remains a work-in-progress, but the site itself has been smoke-tested over the last month or so. All the links work on PC and on mobile devices. As always, Roger welcomes comments and corrections. He's not immune to praise, either!

Time to crack open Big Blue again!

Electric Dylan

#

dormouse likes this.
  9. Jbeck57143

I got the following email from Sandbag on Dec 15 after asking if replacements for discs 1,3,5,6 and 7 (which were scratched in the set I received) had been shipped:

"After further consideration, given that most of the components are damaged, it would be easier to reinstate your order and ship a full replacement.

We are awaiting stock for these items and expect to dispatch the week commencing 26th of December.

We have been unable to source all the replacement components so far so we feel this is the best solution.

Thank you incredibly much for your great patience with us so far, it has been very appreciated. And also, big apologies for the long wait and for receiving a defective product.

If there are any problems with the replacement once it has been received please do not hesitate to get in touch with us.

Kindest regards,

Jordan, on behalf of the customer service team."

On Dec 29th I got an email saying I would get a confirmation email when the replacement set was shipped. I didn't get a confirmation email, but the replacement set (including the San Diego show) arrived today. It was in a larger box than before, partially covered with bubble wrap, with some paper padding. The set looked fine, however--the same discs that were scratched before--discs 1,3,5,6,7--were scratched in the replacement set. Three of them--discs 1,3 and 7 look worse. Discs 5 and 6 look about the same; although I was able to extract the audio from disc 6 with no problem, whereas the first copy had read errors on two tracks. I didn't look at the San Diego discs, so they're still sealed (and the first copy I received wasn't scratched.)

So now I have to email Sandbag about the problems with the replacement set.

They never said anything about returning one of the sets, though I would think they would want me to. I'll have to make sure I get reimbursed for the return shipping cost.

I wish it was possible to get Sony to replace the scratched discs since it's not Sandbag's fault the discs are scratched; it's really Sony's fault because of how the set was packaged.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  10. Jbeck57143

One correction: the set wasn't partially covered with bubble wrap--it was completely wrapped.

11. petercl

petercl Forum Resident

Today I snagged the vinyl on Google Express from Walmart. It was $75.81 with free shipping. Google gave me a 20% off code (Idk why) so it came to $64.44. Not a bad deal.

ssmith3046 and LonesomeDayBlues like this.
  12. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

Looks like ImportCD's has the best price on the CD Deluxe version.

13. jumpinjulian likes this.
  14. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

I bought this kind of blind.........but now I see.......it is fabulous. Bought mine used off eBay. Guy ripped it to file and sold it to me. What energy with this band and the singers.

AJK74 and Fred68 like this.
  15. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

That's a great deal. Is the sale still going on?

16. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

No. Now it's waiting for the next deal (and should that be the 3-for-2 deal again, hoping that there are some interesting similarly priced titles. There weren't for me last time.)

Fred68 likes this.
  17. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Where is the best place to purchase previous entries in The Bootleg Series on vinyl now?
    I'm shopping for:

BS 4 Live 1966 Manchester
    -BS 5 Live 1975 Rolling Thunder Revue
    -BS 6 Live 1964 Concert at Philharmonic Hall
    -BS 7 No Direction Home

anyone have suggestions?

18. The sale comes and goes every so often.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  19. Bob M.

Bob M. Forum Resident

They pop up on ebay & Discogs every so often for various prices. I have all the original Bootleg Series LP's with the exception of "No Direction Home" & "Volume 5". With "No Direction Home" the CD is OK with me but I've offered $400 (US) for volume 5 on one occasion & on another occasion my third state Beatles butcher cover in trade and have been turned down both times. So that one I'm hoping for a re-issue ;-) Good Luck!

Richard--W likes this.
  20. Richard--W

Offering the Beatles cover is quite a sacrifice.

No Direction Home
    is pricey no matter where I find it. Even "near mint" condition is punitive in its cost. It's gonna hurt when I finally pay for it. I won't mention it to my dentist. He thinks my income belongs to him. But the Rolling Thunder Revue is even tougher. I have an old Camaro I no longer drive sitting under the carport. Maybe I'll sell that to pay for it. And I've been supporting Bob for all these years ...

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    Bob M. likes this.
  21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The CD is fine. Really. Common.

Richard--W likes this.
  22. dominguez

dominguez Forum Resident

Collectors Choice at DISCOGS has it for $42.48 plus $2.99 shipping

Kubricker, Richard--W and Socrates like this.
  23. Richard--W

Thanks, guys. Got the CDs. Since day one.
    We were talking about the vinyl editions. I decided a few days ago to get Bootleg Series, the Mono Recordings, the MFSL editions, and a few other specialized Dylan albums on vinyl. To my complete surprise I just picked up No Direction Home a few minutes ago; no sooner did the seller list it then within a minute I bought it. He gouged me $150. In Concert at Brandeis, $20. Bootleg Series 1-3, $55.00. The Cutting Edge, $65. Trouble No More, $49. Live 1966 Sydney, $59. Live 1966 Royal Albert Hall, $20. Live 1966 Manchester is pending. All new and sealed vinyl. Right now I'm working on The Witmark Demos and The Original Mono Recordings box and that will be it until next month.

After I finish gathering Dylan vinyl I will move on to shopping for Frank Sinatra at Capitol on vinyl, but he's a bigger project.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

For fun, collect all of the original Capitol label EPs by Sinatra. Most of the LPs were also issued as multi-EP editions, and then there was a pile of "EP Originals". Then you could collect some of the European original EPs (mostly UK) that had very cool covers (and some songs not on USA EPs). That stuff is way cooler (and to me, better) than buying re-manufactured replicas of the originals sold for too much.

There was a great series of 10 Songbook EPs by Sinatra, each one having four songs by a different songwriter (and each with a different photo of Sinatra), issued in the UK in about 1961.

Mint copies of original Sinatra Capitol LPs (first or very early pressings) are actually fairly common, as many young parents bought them in the 1950s, but had to spend so much time with the kids or the television that they virtually never played their Sinatra LPs. Those mint copies are still turning up at garage sales and estate sales. Five to ten LPs at a time.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    Richard--W, mrjinks and Mr. Explorer like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.