Bob Dylan: Bootleg Series Vol. 13

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 24, 2015.

1. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo

It seems like you're assuming that Dylan wasn't concerned with making cohesive albums because they don't sound cohesive to you. I don't see how including "Blind Willie Mc Tell" makes Infidels a more cohesive single LP. Nor would I assume that Dylan would leave out a track from another album's sessions for any other reason that to make a more cohesive album.

Jerryb and jdw like this.
  2. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Infidels may not be a great Dylan album, but it is cohesive--certainly sound and production-wise, and arguably thematically as well....

Mr.Sean, dee, Sean Murdock and 2 others like this.
  3. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I've been thinking about how I'd redo ASP... and frankly, I wouldn't do it, as it stands.

My concept would be a two volume set: Volume 1 would be focused mainly on Nashville 67-69, with the Isle Of Wight as a "bonus." We'd get JWH sessions, Nashville Skyline sessions including the Johnny Cash session, and the very Nashville Skyline-esque songs and outtakes from Self Portrait.

Volume 2 would be New York 70-71. We'd get the second half of the Self Portrait sessions (which are of a very different flavor), New Morning sessions including the George Harrison session, the majority of the Dylan album songs (bar two that come from Nashville '69), and all the Greatest Hits and singles from '71.

But who asked me? :shh:

4. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Well-Known Member

That's basically how I'd do it too! I think it's so funny how "ASP saved Self Portrait!," when much of the best material on ASP is from the other projects of the era and not Self Portrait.

I'd also make sure that material from Dylan '73 would be in there too, in alternate mixes if possible. A few solid gems on there! That version of A Fool Such As I is one of my all-time favorite Dylan studio performances!

5. Tom Schreck

I'll add that, for the record, I think Self Portrait is a perfectly fine album and didn't need "saving" in the first place!

6. revolution_vanderbilt

Of course, House Carpenter, Railroad Bill, and This Evening So Soon are are all excellent (and from the same day too.)

And from Dylan, I love Sarah Jane and Lily Of The West. I can't believe that Dylan considered Mr. Bojangles and The Ballad Of Ira Hayes for New Morning, rather than these two!

It has it's charm. But perhaps it works best as part two of a trilogy, sitting between two solid albums. It's fun and weird and perplexing and not at all serious but entertaining and lightweight and too much but not nearly enough.

7. Tom Schreck

Generally I think not enough is made of how Self Portrait is the stylistic connecting tissue between Nashville Skyline and New Morning. That alone makes it fascinating in my book, because those are two very different albums. And likewise, not enough is made about how the whole Nashville Skyline - Self Portrait - New Morning continuum is similar in spirit and scope to The Basement Tapes, only in a few recording studios rather than in his drinking buddies' basement.

And personally I'd improve Self Portrait by removing the Isle of Wight tracks altogether and adding a few more covers or eccentric originals. Make it a more cohesive collection -- like a proto-Triplicate! :unhunh:

8. revolution_vanderbilt

I'd leave the Isle Of Wight tracks. Like A Rolling Stone is perfect: an original, and in arrangement, an eccentric cover. Almost what you were looking for!

Yes, The Basement Tapes as a whole are almost a demo or a dry run of the whole Nashville Skyline through post-New Morning saga. John Wesley Harding and the manuscripts that were given life by The New Basement Tapes are pretty much outside this whole realm. When Dylan "returned" with Planet Waves, he came back from a very different place than where he left off. That's deep, serious, personal, from-the-heart emotional music. It's not quite in the same league, but it's nonetheless a more logical follow up to Blonde On Blonde.

I think it all leads back to the question of who the "real deal" Dylan is. Is it the poetic and deep singer-songwriter who bares his soul on Blood On The Tracks? Is it the country crooner who plays cliches straight on Nashville Skyline? The eccentric interpreter of Self Portrait? The preacher and prophet of the gospel years? Or some other Dylan that sang before, since, or during the lifetime of any of those Dylans? Of course it's all of them and none of them. They are all him but none of them really exist.

I love that even in my time, I've gotten to see a retirement age Dylan play a new role, making the old wandering bluesman a supporting act, second bill behind this sweet and sentimental singer croaking out the old standards, producing the most compelling standards albums of all his rock generation contemporaries. It's no gimmick. It's the newest same old Dylan.

9. Tom Schreck

I totally see what you're saying regarding Like a Rolling Stone and the others, and I LOVE the Isle of Wight tracks, but in my opinion they ruin the flow of the record. At a certain point, Dylan decided to "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks," but there was a perfectly great folk album in there already. Chalk it up to general frustration and his puckish sense of humor I guess. Including the Isle of Wight tracks as part of Self Portrait puts the album into the realm of messy odds-and-ends compilation, when Self Portrait really is a highly focused exploration of the folk tradition as Dylan was living it, ca. early 1970. The album would be a clearer document if it were only studio material.

Besides, Isle of Wight deserves its own full, separate release, rather than forever being a footnote to Basement Tapes / Nashville Skyline / Self Portrait!

Mr. H likes this.
  10. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 Forum Resident

Yes it does.

11. revolution_vanderbilt

It would have made a cool RSD item, a la the Basement Tapes record or the 1966 Australian concert.

12. The Bard

The Bard Well-Known Member

Gotta say that period is one of my least favourite Dylan eras:

Self Portrait is awful. ASP was enjoyable enough (but as you guys have said, does not rescue the original SP). Nashville Skyline? New Morning? Pleasant, but meh.
    Isle of Wight is an average concert at best.

I like my Bob with a lot more bite. Roll on The Gospel Bootleg Series!
    All just my 2c obviously.

13. jgkojak

jgkojak Forum Resident

If Dylan had opened with the electric Blind Willie McTell and closed with Foot of Pride it would have made a lot of sense
    1-Blind Willie McTell, Jokerman, Sweetheart Like You, Don't Fall Apart on Me Tonight
    2- Man of Peace, Someone's Got a Hold of My Heart, I and I, Foot of Pride

14. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo

I'm glad that he held off and worked on "Someone's Got A Hold Of My Heart" an album later as it is a big improvement. Haven't heard the electric "Willie".

15. IMHO, you've not missed much. The "electric" version sounds very tentative and almost like a first draft / run through to me; it certainly doesn't sound like a proper finished take worthy of consideration for the album. The acoustic version released on BS 1 - 3 is a masterpiece of understatement on the other hand.

16. I'd add Angel Flying Too Close To The Ground, Tell Me and especially Lord, Protect My Child but I'd have to delete Man Of Peace and I don't care for Sweetheart Like You much either.

17. revolution_vanderbilt

At this point, there's very little of the released album left!

NumberEight likes this.
  18. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Forum Resident Thread Starter

The original track listing was:

Side A:
    1. Jokerman
    2. Someone’s Got A Hold Of My Heart
    3. Neighborhood Bully
    4. License To Kill
    5. Blind Willie McTell

Side B:
    6. Man of Peace
    7. Foot of Pride
    8. I and I
    9. Don’t Fall Apart On Me Tonight

19. revolution_vanderbilt

As strong as the unreleased material is (and some highlights of the decade, we're talking, if not of his career!) I happen to like the album as it is, and I wouldn't want to see anything cut. Maybe just make it a double album!

Spadeygrove likes this.
  20. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Forum Resident

21. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Forum Resident Thread Starter

"Tomorrow Is A Long Time" may longer be the most tragic omission from ASP:

Employees are still in the process of transferring many of the audio files, though they do have John Wesley Harding outtakes that have never been heard by fans. A click on the first take of "As I Went Out One Morning" reveals a drastically slowed-down, dirge-like rendition of the song.

Exclusive: A Look Inside Bob Dylan's Secret Archives

22. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

"And I think from 1966 on they have almost all the shows in one way or another, whether they are soundboard or audience recordings."

You have to think that as cds die out there will have to be some sort of streaming site started for future BS releases. Perhaps Tulsa could open something up with a subscription rate giving you access to this stuff.

23. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

Just came here to post exactly that! This makes me really want a Copyright Collection this year!

DeeThomaz likes this.
  24. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Active Member

they could do them as a bonus disc from bobdylan.com like with Carnegie Hall. i would hate to pay the extra $50 direct to them rather than going through amazon or importcds for the cheaper price but i would do it. alternately, they could do the Amazon exlusive disc like they did with Brandeis. are you listening Sony? you will likely get orders of the set from people that wouldn't even have purchased it just to get those JWH outtakes!

25. shepherdfan

shepherdfan Forum Resident

I'd like it if Sony just went ahead and made the John Wesley Harding outtakes a mainstream release. I don't want it to be limited and expensive. I just want to support another in the bootleg series as my way of saying thank you and that they will have my continued support. I hope they will consider that.

Sean Murdock and JoeF. like this.