Bob Dylan: "Trouble No More 1979 - 1981" - The Bootleg Series Vol. 13

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

I used to love when he used that long intro the concerts.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  2. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

To be clear, I really thought that was a fantastic post, and that you outlined and summarized things perfectly. Many of us have ridden the Bootleg Series roller-coaster over the past few years, including Big Blue sticker shock, and we're now budgeting for them, while hoping that our expectations will be met content-wise.

Lars1966, Sean Murdock and DeeThomaz like this.
  3. The Bard

The Bard Highway 61 Revisited. That is all.

I too know the pain and anguish of the Bootleg Series pricing. I couldn't/didn't spring for the TTS 3rd disc at the time but caved later on e-bay for ppretty much what I would have paid at the time.
    I did not spring for the Big Blue Box though. Technically, I could have afforded it, but this time my OCD-self overcame my Completionist-self. The 6 disc set looked better next to the other Deluxe editions on my shelf.

4. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Oh, OK -- I figured you were tweaking my occasional soap-box-ism -- which would have been perfectly valid as well. But thank you! :wave:

5. Sean Murdock

How's this for OCD? I bought Big Blue because I had to have it all -- but not having the 6-CD set to sit next to BS8, BS10 and BS11 on my shelf gnawed at me until, several months later, I saved up the money and bought that too! :shake: I also bought the 2-CD set to keep my 2-disc collection complete. :sigh:

6. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

You need help Sean. We should start a 12 step program

jamiesjamies, Sean Murdock and bobcat like this.
  7. Sean Murdock

But I just completed a 12-step program! Bootleg Series 1-3, Bootleg Series 4, Bootleg Series 5....... :help:

8. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Bahaha !!!! :p

HominyRhodes and Sean Murdock like this.
  9. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

In retrospect, steps 1-3 seem more like one step. Shoulda numbered the steps differently.

mrjinks, DeeThomaz and Sean Murdock like this.
  10. Sean Murdock

Oh, it drives me nuts that Sony started out numbering them by disc, and then resumed numbering them by volume. Shows that they had no idea in 1991 how big this franchise would become. We'd be up to volume 40-something if they kept counting it that way! You know it has to be a thorn in the side of SOMEONE at Bob Inc. also, but what can you do? Repackage all of them with new numbering? There's no easy fix.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  11. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

There's two kinds of people. There's saved people, and there's ... Sean.

Sean Murdock and DeeThomaz like this.
  12. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

"I don't have any of those views ... I wish I did, I'd be glad to share them with you, but I ... I think everyone should lead their own lives, you know?"

Sean Murdock and RayS like this.
  13. kuddukan

kuddukan Forum Resident

I am still convinced this was a wise choice. I still haven't listened all the way through the 6CD set. I got bogged down somewhere about 3/4 of the way in.

bobcat and HominyRhodes like this.
  14. kuddukan

kuddukan Forum Resident

Impressive solidarity today, not a hint or glimpse of a rumor or blip out there. I'm trusting to wake up with something to talk about!!

15. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I recall seeing bootleg clones of CD#3 on real CD for about $25. That is a market SONY missed out on. They should just put it out officially. Those who fret about their limited edition can be happy they have the book. I bought the 3 CD version when it was released. But I don't care too much about the books. I pretty much know what Dylan looks like.

I agree with other posters - the complete sessions that made up Tell Tale Signs might easily run 30 CDs, who knows. I think they are the holy grail.

16. Sean Murdock

Hallelujah!!

HominyRhodes, RayS and warewolf95 like this.
  17. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

I'd love an Infidels through Knocked Out Loaded Bootleg Series. Tell Tale Signs is still my favorite BS release though. Oh Mercy and Time Out of Mind are two of his greatest albums and two of my favorites, so to get all that stuff from those eras was, and still is, awesome listening. And then all the other miscellaneous things from the Modern Times sessions and various soundtracks and stuff was icing on the cake. :)

SteveM and Sean Murdock like this.
  18. Eduardo Denaro

Eduardo Denaro Forum Resident

The best day of the year is when I come home from work in early fall and look on my computer to find the next BS announcement. I still remember how shocked I was when The Basement Tapes was revealed. Dang, I hope tomorrow is the day!

19. Sean Murdock

Totally agree -- but I'd want it to continue through Down In The Groove. It's part of this era (such as it is): Infidels outtakes were re-recorded for Empire Burlesque, EB outtakes were reworked for Knocked Out Loaded, KOL sessions bled into Hearts Of Fire, and HOF tracks are on Groove. If that's not enough, Down In The Groove contains an Infidels outtake, completing the circle.

Other than the acknowledged classic Infidels (or near-classic, depending on how much you love the known outtakes), it's a messy period -- but it CAN be redeemed. I believe it in my bones.

Before I wake up from this fever dream, I have another fantasy Bootleg Series on my wish list, similar to the one outlined above. This one would cover 1990-1996 -- another period conspicuously overlooked by the "overview" volumes of the BS (1-3 and 8). You've got Under The Red Sky outtakes (raw "TV Talkin' Song" anyone?), more Bromberg sessions, more acoustic covers (an intact "You Belong To Me" would be nice), and all the one-off sessions that produced a handful of soundtrack and tribute cuts. Not sure, you say? What's the big "get" that makes this a must-have? What if the Supper Club shows were included as the video component?

20. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

I also have a personal theory that Dylan's worktapes, demos and home recordings from these eras (say, 1981-2005) may number in the hundreds or thousands, and they wouldn't yet be accounted for on Bjorner or elsewhere. Dylan essentially self-produced GAIBTY and WGW in his home studio -- this was not a new setup for him; it only makes sense that he would have been demoing and workshopping material through that whole multi-era arc. Who knows what unlogged gems might be uncovered in the future, if the BS project really sticks to the directive of the last few years (of telling the "whole story").

21. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

There was also a (not relevant) poster advertising Bob's radio show. It was a very nice poster, by Jaime Hernandez, but it wasn't $100 nice!

I have no idea what I did with that poster. . .

Sean Murdock likes this.
  22. Moth

Moth fluttering by

Cool! The good Hernandez brother.

23. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Damn, it's easier to name every proper Dylan studio album than it is to correlate which Roman numeral belongs to what bootleg set.

If I remember - this is the "Cutting Edge" set & thread. I have the middle/not mongo edition. It's still a monster of a set....and my favorite by a country mile.

24. The Bard

The Bard Highway 61 Revisited. That is all.

I didn't say I hadnt listened to the 18 CD set, I just said I hadn't bought it.
    Torrenting myself all the way down to the pit.

Lewisboogie and Waymore Lonesome like this.
  25. Good grief, no announcement yet?