Bob Dylan: "Trouble No More 1979 - 1981" - The Bootleg Series Vol. 13

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 24, 2015.

1. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

I assumed from your original posting that, having decided not to buy the 18-CD set, you then bought the 6-CD set. Which would mean that the contents of the 6-CD set would have had no effect on your decision not to buy the 18-CD version.

As for my needing help, I'm not sure I need it any more than any other member of this forum. :)

HominyRhodes likes this.
  2. Hmmm.......don't bank on that! I could have just as easily purchased the big box after the 6-er, had I been a lot more enamoured with that. As you say, many of us have such problems in this forum including me! ;)

3. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

This has been a dubious tradition in recent years. The 2CD TTS even features a track-sheet for an otherwise unknown outtake from the TOOM sessions called "All I Ever Loved Is You."

Because, of course, the folks who paid big money for the deluxe set wouldn't be interested in something like that...

PS: I'm also hoping someone else makes the effort to document these variations. But I suppose there's only a slim handful of us that buy all the various configurations. (Yes. I'm one, too-- but I only have one Big Blue.)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  4. TimeandTempo

TimeandTempo Forum Resident

Might as well hop in here to admit I have Big Blue, the 6 CD and the vinyl box set... The latter two were on sale! How could I pass them up?

Speaking of on sale... this is a slow train indeed.

HominyRhodes and bluesbro like this.
  5. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Yeah, the "Summer Music" double-issue of Rolling Stone in 1986 had a big article about the sessions, raving about the down-n-dirty rock and blues being recorded. And then the album came out -- the acronym "WTF?!" should have been invented right then and there.
    Only two tracks, on Tell Tale Signs. A couple more have been booted, but there's loads more in the vault. SOME of it has to be good...

Percy Song and ExHead like this.
  6. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Not necessarily. I could be arguing in my spare time.

7. racingman11

racingman11 Forum Resident

I'm tired of checking the superdeluxedition website (they were the first with Cutting Edge), bobdylan.com, rollingstone...

Justin Brooks likes this.
  8. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

A watched pot never boils, they say...

9. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

They did not have all the takes of Sad Eyed Lady, which are the ultimate!

rogermcnally likes this.
  10. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Here is one Dylan performance that has rarely been discussed:

The producer of one of the Pete Seeger tribute CDs (Appleseed label) told me that Bob's management played him a tape of Bob's solo recording of "The Water is Wide" over the telephone for possible inclusion in the album. He said it was a stunningly beautiful rendition, but the licensing could not get worked out.

It exists.

Lars1966, Sean Murdock and Crush87 like this.
  11. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

From when is said recording reported to have come?

12. TimeandTempo

Better saying this go around: But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven

highway likes this.
  13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The 2CD set "Where Have All the Flowers Gone" was issued in 1998, and probably was being worked on for at least a year before that. It featured many of Dylan's contemporaries and friends from his Village days in all new studio recordings. I totally believed the producer's statements to me personally (I doubt he has written it). My guess is the tape may have come from Dylan's home studio sessions when he was recording many solo performances of "folk" material.

Tom Schreck likes this.
  14. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

But the first ten people to see the pot start to boil get a copy inscribed by Dylan himself, along with some of his words of wisdom:

"Don't follow leaders,
    Watch the parkin' meters"

15. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

If you are a fan of singer-songwriters from Dylan's era, this album is a must. The list on the cover only shows 15 of nearly 40 artists on the 2CD set. All of them very significant artists. It is an incredible shame that Dylan's contribution could not be included for some reason that the producer did not share with me. There was a later 3rd CD that was good but not as significant.

[​IMG]

16. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Ron Wood's own mind was truly bent from drug abuse in '83 so...

rogermcnally likes this.
  17. TimeandTempo

18. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

pot ain't boilin' because the over ain't workin' apparently.

serves me right for getting my hopes up that this was going to be announced on a Tuesday instead of a Friday. was the post from the Isis news site about imminent news removed? i don't see it there. maybe that means Friday after all?

19. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

"Five weeks ago, UC Santa Cruz alumnus Mark Davidson moved from Austin, Texas, to Tulsa, Oklahoma, to begin a new job at the Bob Dylan Archive...His official job title is 'Bob Dylan Librarian and Collections Manager.'"

Could you write me a letter of introduction to Mr. Davidson, vouching for my good character, etc.? :cool:

Percy Song and Hep Alien like this.
  20. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

Harold Lepidus, who used to frequently write on the "Dylan Examiner" site just tweeted "Bootleg Series 13 is bigger and better than expected. I can say no more. #GospelYears."

My mind races too much, but wonder if we could be getting a limited edition third option similar to Big Blue (but probably not quite as elaborate). All signs previously pointed to this NOT happening, but it would take care of future copyright issues for those years and obviously tie in with this year's general release.

21. It's obviously coming with a full size reproduction of the wooden cross then?

majorlance and mrjinks like this.
  22. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

If they could put out the regular BS release and then a box set similar to the Live1966 one, even if it's just soundboards of say 20 shows from across '79-'81...that would be just great from my point of view!

Percy Song and Electric Sydney like this.
  23. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

it's going to be 8 CDs, i think.

24. Is that the dust of rumour?

25. racingman11

racingman11 Forum Resident

My thinking exactly. 8CD including DVD (s ?) is better than the usual 6 CD.