Bob Dylan – Bootleg Series Vol. 14: More Blood, More Tracks (2 Nov 2018)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Nov 2, 2016.

1. kuddukan

kuddukan Forum Resident

Bob Dylan – Bootleg Series Vol. 14: More Blood, More Tracks (2 Nov 2018)*

IronWaffle, George P and picassoson like this.
  2. As it's likely that traffic on this thread will begin to thin out fairly soon, I'd like to take this opportunity to say how much I've enjoyed the thread from the outset, but particularly in the last couple of weeks.

A huge thankyou to all those who have been so generous with their time and effort in contributing their knowledge and pulling together often conflicting bits of information into a coherent information pool for the rest of us to benefit from.

It has been (and I'm sure will continue to be) a privilege to learn from the knowledge, commentary, good humour, wit and emotional experiences shared on the thread.

I'm so looking forward to release date.

Best Wishes,
    David

voles, RandyP, AGimS and 22 others like this.
  3. Jbeck57143

Jbeck57143 Forum Resident

Shipping fro
    With shipping (Standard shipping is only $2.99) and sales tax for Illinois it's a total of $114.51 from ImportCDs -- about $8 cheaper than Amazon in Germany and about $65 cheaper than Amazon.com. Inport CDs is good with exchanges too (I had to exchange the Another Self Portrait box), and would be easier than exchanging something bought from Amazon overseas. I don't know how ImportCDs is about canceling a pre-order.

As far as packaging goes - the Another Self Portrait box arrived in good shape, but I've gotten CDs in jewel cases that looked like they pounded them with a hammer before putting them in the padded envelope.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    Mr. Explorer likes this.
  4. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

5. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Hmm. Blood On the Tracks has always sounded like a second-generation tape to me, but that's not the mix, really. I'm used to the mix. The mix has lived in my head since January 1975. Are you saying the mix will be improved or the sound quality will be improved?

6. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Holy mother of pearl! That’s incredible!

— David

JL6161, fallbreaks, RiRiIII and 3 others like this.
  7. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

8. Richard--W

I like this very much. It has taste and simplicity and evokes the same aesthetics as the original which are part of the, well, you know.
    The title is what it is, isn't it.

9. Richard--W

Pete Hamill won a Grammy for best liner notes on the back cover of Blood On the Tracks. Wouldn't it have been something if they had asked him to to write new liner notes for the back cover of the sessions? Hamill's still in NYC, still writing about music. A little continuity with the past wouldn't hurt. Nor would a cover art that evokes the original in some way. Anyhow, that's what I would have done.

Hope this readable:
    [​IMG]

10. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Don’t know haven’t heard it yet.

Deek57 and Mr. Explorer like this.
  11. But the mono vinyl box sells for three times the original selling price. After four years.

Mr. Explorer, Craig and aoxomoxoa like this.
  12. Richard--W

This unofficial LP from about twenty years ago, compared to the official cover and using it as a base, has the right idea and is almost exactly what I'd like the Dylan camp to have done:

[​IMG]

13. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I'm taking this for what it is and looking forward to it!

14. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

I know I've been asking a million questions, but I've not studied the alternate versions much. Would you mind telling me where you found the above quote? I can't find it in any of the three versions of the song that I know.

Craig likes this.
  15. George P

George P Notable Member

Bob Dylan - Expecting Rain - Michael Gray

16. gottafeelin

RayS likes this.
  17. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

Not going to wait on Amazon, got an order in with ImportCDs at $104. Cautiously optimistic.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  18. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Things get a little less bleak by the 1978 re-write.

enro99, gottafeelin and notesfrom like this.
  19. gottafeelin

Where is that from?!

Also, are all these takes about Sara? If so, was she really strung out when she made the decision to leave?

enro99 likes this.
  20. RayS

That version is a rehearsal for the 1978 tour. He did the song for a handful of the Japanese shows in early '78 then dropped it, not bringing it back until 1994.

I'd say believing all versions '74-'78 are about Sara is a reasonable assumption. I have absolutely no knowledge of her substance abuse habits, or lack thereof.

NYMets41 and gottafeelin like this.
  21. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

I'd wager that Dylan's rewrites are more about expressing emotional truths than literal truths.

The 76 rewrite definitely gives the impression that he's 'done' with the emotions expressed in the album version and is exhausted by the absurdity of it all, to the point of making intentionally blunt, shocking and negatively humorous revisions. It's a way of reconciling his present state of mind with the way he felt when he recorded it, and it definitely sounds like a man who is about to be divorced.

22. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

Thanks, here's another one with a different title. The photograph is from the 1974 7" of On A Night Like This. [EDIT] photo is from '73
    Here's a more legible scan of the back of the original US pressing
    [​IMG]

23. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

The photograph itself is from the 1973 film Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid, so not really relevant to the Blood on the Tracks sessions.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  24. RayS

And yet Sara shows up near the end of the '76 RTR tour, so they must have thought there was still some sort of chance there (she could have easily waited for him to get home). I won't remember the sordid details, but we apparently have an argument between Bob and Sara to thank for that incredible version of "Idiot Wind" on "Hard Rain".

It's a bit difficult to reconcile the guy who wrote a love song to another woman ("You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome") while he was still married threatening his estranged wife's hypothetical lovers with apparent physical violence. But Bob's a complicated guy. :)

25. Carl Steward

Carl Steward Forum Resident

Whew, I was dreading a dozen takes of Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts. Only three, including the one I always skip over when I listen to the original record.

JL6161 and Mr. Explorer like this.