Bob Dylan – Bootleg Series Vol. 14: More Blood, More Tracks (2 Nov 2018)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Nov 2, 2016.

1. kuddukan

kuddukan Forum Resident

She seems like a bitter person. The impression I got from No Direction Home and other documentaries was that Joan maybe had some actual "love" for Dylan, but it seemed like she was trying to control him and use him for her career advancement and other political purposes. She always seemed to act like he was her pet or something, referring to him as "dirty" and acting like Bob was her personal "project."

Bob seemed to get wise to this early on, and then did not have so much to do with her.

enro99, MerseyBeatle and TimeandTempo like this.
  2. Mark87

Mark87 Forum Resident

I didn't know this.. What happened that made them fall out? I always thought they had a good relationship...

3. TimeandTempo

TimeandTempo Forum Resident

In addition, the way she continues to use him to get into the news seems to back up that Dylan was more of a device for her than a love interest. Maybe at first it was love, but now it seems like a way to maintain relevance. Which is kind of sad.

4. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Could be worse; could be Art Garfunkel...

JohnKale, Porkpie and Tribute like this.
  5. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I honestly consider also that Dylan used Baez to step up a few rungs in the ladder and then saw that he could be in a relationship where HE had the upper hand and didn't need her, or none at all and enjoy the fruits of fame. I think Joan felt used and being used is one of the forms of betrayal, and betrayal is VERY hard to get over. (For men as well as women, but in my own experience women forget and forgive less or more slowly.)

Tommyboy, eeglug, enro99 and 3 others like this.
  6. voles

voles Forum Lurker

Isn't that the version of You're a Big Girl Now which is on Biograph?

7. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

Johnny was one of the first to hear Trouble No More and report on it for this forum. Here's his blog:

johnnyborganblogg

HominyRhodes and DeeThomaz like this.
  8. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Bob decided to get married and raise a family.

9. FritzL

FritzL Adrift & Dumbfounded

Does anyone know if this set will be available in 96/24 or 192/24 hi res as a download?

10. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Joan tried to push the notion that she personally made Bob Dylan famous, then he had the nerve to marry someone else and didn't thank her every day of his life (maybe he does, but for something else)

Ironically, much of Joan's long lasting fame is essentially based on her association with Bob Dylan. She indeed was a very talented singer and dedicated to political causes. But many, many people fit that bill - great voices and lifelong activism. Only Joan hung out with Bob Dylan and only Joan sang at least five of his songs in virtually every concert for the rest of her career - despite mocking him in most of those concerts. That is the weird part.

11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Art Garfunkel copied Dylan's hairstyle, but you don't hear Dylan going around saying, "I made Artie famous. He is so ungrateful!"

But Dylan paid Tribute to his old disciple by singing Artie's part in "Sound of Silence" with Paul back in 1999. Paul cried big tears when he heard Bob.

Crispy Rob and Jesperado like this.
  12. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

does she still do the Dylan imitation at her live shows?

shes high maintenance.

moonshiner likes this.
  13. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Nope. Never before heard, and really good, IMO.

JohnKale and HominyRhodes like this.
  14. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I doubt she is doing any ridicule in her farewell tour. She has done many recent interviews where she says she is finally over her Dylan hang-up, though I don't think she acknowledges her frequent sarcastic mimicry of Bob in the past.

15. x2zero

x2zero Forum Resident

Surprised how long they sat on this, I'd of thought the NY sessions would have been one earliest releases in this series.

asdf35 likes this.
  16. voles

voles Forum Lurker

It’s on order - thanks

RayS likes this.
  17. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I assume they were holding out hope that the Minnesota tapes would be found, hence the delays.

18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

By waiting longer, the fans benefit. If they had done this 10 to 20 years ago, it would likely have been a small sampler. The idea of releasing entire sessions is more recent.

redsock, highway and JohnKale like this.
  19. dercloud

dercloud Forum Resident

Yes, 24/96 download on Qobuz for deluxe and single.

FritzL, subtr and Lars1966 like this.
  20. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Baez's emotional investment in Dylan was real and quite poignant, I find, and her mockery was motivated by the size of her hurt. Having been to her concerts, I know that her fan base is not the same as Dylan's. She was a popular touring artist in her own right. She was also courageous in the civil rights and anti-war movements. She marched, took the teargas, the threats to life and limb, got arrested, and did everything she could to motivate and organize. She inspired people and set a good example. I've witnessed these things. There was never a time when Joan Baez did not take personal risks. Let's not sell her short.

Dylan invited her onto the Rolling Thunder Revue in 1975, gave her co-star status on stage and sang the duets with her she'd always wanted, insisted that she sing "Diamonds and Rust," put her in the movie and the TV specials, had her on on the 1984 tour (I think it was '84). Whatever professional debt he may have felt he owed was paid back.

supermd, redsock, JManPro and 12 others like this.
  21. goodnitesteve

goodnitesteve bootleger

Bob appears in the Joan Baez documentary too. Not sure when that came out but it was the late 2000's. I think Joan still loves and admires Bob but is hurt by the past and dust. Hell, aren't we all?

She still sings his new songs though, at least stuff from Oh Mercy, maybe more. I think Bob has a sweet spot for her as well, but he doesn't like to live in the past, even though you can't help it sometimes.

He had this to say about Joanie (as he calls her in the documentary) last year,

“She was something else, almost too much to take. Her voice was like that of a siren from off some Greek island. Just the sound of it could put you into a spell. She was an enchantress. You’d have to get yourself strapped to the mast like Odysseus and plug up your ears so you wouldn’t hear her. She’d make you forget who you were."

In that same interview , where the interviewer asked him what he saw when he looks at old performances of himself and his response was so profound to me,

"I see Nat King Cole, Nature Boy – a very strange enchanted boy, a terribly sophisticated performer, got a cross section of music in him, already postmodern. That’s a different person than who I am now."

Of course, everything should be taken with a grain of salt. He also says he watched I Love Lucy "nonstop."

For me, I never quite cared for Joan Baez. I know she was instrumental in putting Bob in front of bigger audiences, but perhaps he may have gotten there regardless. She also recorded his songs and has done a lot of good for the world. Her younger voice is a tad shrill for my tastes, however, I do like Diamonds and Rust and I do like how she sounds recently. I plan to see her on her farewell tour which has extended itself to 2019. Tickets are far less than Bob's tickets, at the same venue, The Beacon, nonetheless. I saw Arlo Guthrie do Alice's Restaurant and it was only $30 bucks as well at Carnegie Hall. Prices may vary, but they're all entertainment.

22. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

The only time I ever saw Baez doing her Dylan impersonation was at the Hammersmith Odeon in January 1978. After the intermission, an announcement was made that ‘we have a special guest’, and out came Dylan in full Rolling Thunder white face makeup, scarf and hat. Except, of course, that it wasn’t Dylan.

The audience reaction was negative. Baez seemed to think that we’d taken offense and simply didn’t get the joke. What she didn’t realize was that the audience members, including me, were simply profoundly disappointed. After all, we hadn’t had a chance to see Dylan since 1969. Or 1966 before that...

HominyRhodes likes this.
  23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Did she mimic his singing in her "worst voice" just to try to make people laugh at Dylan and ridicule him? That was her usual schtick.

24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

When Richie Havens performed Dylan on stage, he always did it with tremendous love and respect. And Richie was doing Dylan on stage in Greenwich Village even before Joanie. It was not recorded, of course, but Richie used to tell stories about it. Richie continued to perform Dylan for his entire career.

Richie was an artist who respected people. You didn't see him lambasting people in writings or in interviews, or mocking anyone on stage.

And, moreso than any other artist, Richie was all about peace and love, body and soul, heart and mind.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  25. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Yes. A parody.

I don’t have access to my diary right now, but if that has any more relevant info I’ll share it.