Bob Dylan – Bootleg Series Vol. 14: More Blood, More Tracks (2 Nov 2018)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Nov 2, 2016.

1. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

According to the info in the Uncut magazine, those mysterious few "mono" tracks (recorded separate from the multi-track presumably as a back-up reference) will also be dosed in reverb as heard on the acetates and album.

So, these are the tracks not captured on the multis but saved on back-up mono - all from Disc Two:

7 Idiot Wind (Take 1) 3:47
    8 Idiot Wind (Take 1, Remake) 5:28
    9 Idiot Wind (Take 3 with insert) 7:11
    13 You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go (Take 2) 0:46
    14 You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go (Take 3) 1:12
    15 You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go (Take 4) 3:11
    16 You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go (Take 5) 5:16

This hopefully won't be too much of a change of ambiance. Truth is, if the whole set was quarter-inch mono, I'd be no less enthusiastic and excited to hear it. I only hope the "reverb club" gets a consolation prize while enjoying the new dry mix.

2. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Apparently on these you can also hear the multitracks being rewound to be recorded over.
    :unhunh:

3. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Probably only lost some throw-away chatter with Mick Jagger...

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    JohnKale, Percy Song and DeeThomaz like this.
  4. savemenow

savemenow Forum Resident

...but some artists do more than just blatantly show their hostility and bitterness, they memorialize it on record, as Lennon did on "How Do You Sleep". I realize McCartney is not innocent, but his was much more subtle than John.

pcox80 likes this.
  5. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

This bit from the Uncut piece illustrates exactly what I'm looking for in the upcoming set:

During the course of the day, they attempt seven
    takes of “Up To Me”. Each one is subtly different–
    not just in mood and tempo but Dylan’s delivery,
    stretching out vowels to change the emphasis on
    certain words.The more you hear of it, the more
    you realise this is top-tier Dylan–the choice to
    leave it off the final album is as mystifying as his
    decision not to include “Blind Willie McTell” on
    the Infidels album.

I should note that although I can see where he's coming from, I don't think the fates of "Blind Willie McTell" and "Up To Me" are as analogous as he's suggesting here. Both are amazing, but given the musical similarities (some might say "redundancy") of "Up To Me" with other material on an already lengthy album that was pushing into double LP territory, it's a decision that can be reasonably justified (even if I don't personally agree). What's more, Blood on the Tracks is a masterpiece, with or without it. The omission of "Blind Willie McTell," on the other hand, seems like an act of self sabotage on what ended up as a very inconsistent album (but could have easily ranked alongside BOOT).

6. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Uncut does reveal that despite the length of the track, "Spanish is The Loving Tongue" is an incomplete performance. Also that Dylan apparently includes the cringe-worthy "she was Mex and I was white" line from the original Charles Badger Clark poem that he has skipped on every other version (to the best of my knowledge).

At least the inclusion of that line would suggest they make it to the final verse.

matt79rome89, SteveM, RayS and 2 others like this.
  7. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Though apparently it does capture Mick chiming in with suggestions for "Meet Me In The Morning."

8. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

No it’s the multitrack recordings of the mono log tapes, if that makes sense...so you can hear the log tapes on this set as they were running continuously, with Dylan’s instruction to tape over what was just performed on the multitracks.

Presumably they also have mono log tapes of all the other material as well which is being released here in multitrack form, which will remain unreleased.

9. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Can't wait to hear it all....I was just trying to cram the Jagger reference into a post..

JohnKale, Percy Song and DeeThomaz like this.
  10. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

You used a little too much force.

11. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

I didn't consider this. So, if those mono tracks sound appreciably different (in a good way), then I will finally have something to complain about not getting in this set!

12. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

I recall Ellen Bernstein saying (was it in one of Clinton's interviews?) that Mick offered to play drums on one of the songs, followed by some banter along the lines of:-

"How is Charlie, Mick?"
    "Charlie who?"

Then Bob plays a bit of "Little Red Rooster".

If we get that, I shall shave my head and pole vault over the hedge you see behind me into the moat beyond. And eat my hat...

#

13. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

If we get that, the author of the Uncut BS14 review who skipped over it entirely will have to be fired for journalistic malpractice. If we don't, we'll have to wonder where Phil Ramone's mono tapes were when we really needed them?

IronWaffle and asdf35 like this.
  14. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Interesting that they say that the Minnesota multitracks were thought to be in the possession of Don DeVito and were lost track of when he died in 2011, moreso because his daughter, Marissa DeVito, has worked for Sony Music in recent years. Makes you wonder if they asked her to take a look?

15. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

What? There are 'mysterious mono' tracks saved as back up mono? Back up? Mono back ups? LOL
    Maybe someone holding a mic in the control room.

16. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

I'm not in the studio recording racket (past or present), but apparently it was "standard practice" to simultaneously run a quarter-inch mono recording in addition to the multi-tracks.

At least it was "standard practice" with Columbia studios, or with Dylan, or with Phil Ramone - or when all these elements were together this time in 1974.

It's basically a gift horse, IMO

17. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

I’m aware of studio log tapes up to ‘Oh Mercy’. This may have also been done for ‘Time Out Of Mind’.

18. Sydster

Sydster Forum Resident

On a semi-related note, for any interested there’s now an official Instagram for @bobdylan and there’s some neat stuff pertaining to BOTT up there already and more scheduled for the coming weeks. The images today include the Singapore/Malaysia issue of BOTT which still causes me to do a double-take...just can’t used to that cover in blue!

pcox80, matt79rome89, asdf35 and 2 others like this.
  19. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I've been particularly eager to hear the series of piano/bass takes, and this quote from the Uncut review further stokes my curiosity:

"The song’s ["Spanish Is The Loving Tongue"] inclusion here, in incomplete form, suggests something else is briefly a foot in the studio–a moment of recalibration, perhaps, to ease Griffin into the fold. It works. There’s a “Rehearsal” take of “Call Letter Blues ” that is set alight by Griffin’s piano– and he delivers similarly lively work on “Shelter From The Storm [Take 1]”.

Paul Griffin's "lively work" was ALMOST completely mixed out of this take of "Shelter From The Storm" when it was released on the Jerry McGuire soundtrack.

dee, Percy Song, asdf35 and 3 others like this.
  20. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Hell, yes. And as for Woodstock, her version of "Joe Hill" is historic. Her husband David Harris, a major anti-Vietnam War activist, was in jail for refusing the draft. Whatever one thinks about that politically now, it's a pretty good bet that many in the crowd at Woodstock agreed with him.

jimbo3688 and JohnKale like this.
  21. JudasPriest

JudasPriest Forum Resident

The producer says Mr. Dylan came up with the name More Blood, More Tracks according to the Uncut feature .

MRamble likes this.
  22. Damn. Some of the quotes above from Uncut are seriously wetting my previously dried up appetite for the big box. I planned to get the single disc and quietly exit on this one.

Now I'm forced to reconsider.

23. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

That explains why "Spanish …" even exists, so I needn't stay up nights guessing now.

24. Arkady

Arkady Forum Resident

Huh, does he skip that on other studio versions? I never noticed. He certainly sings it in the sublime San Antonio version, and there's an amazing bitter irony in the way he sings the following "Like as not, it's better so" that, for me, comes across as knowing.

Richard--W and DeeThomaz like this.
  25. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

It’s been far too long since I’ve listened to that version. I’m pretty sure it’s absent from all 4 officially released takes, but you’re right, it was definitely included that night. It’s a gorgeous rendition: