Bob Dylan – Bootleg Series Vol. 14: More Blood, More Tracks (2 Nov 2018)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Nov 2, 2016.

1. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I think what u are supposed to say on this thread is that the new release is nice but the original album is perfect as is and every track perfectly placed and performed. No room for alternate views here, after all even Dylan's lyrics have only one meaning and they are very black and white

trd, voles and moonshiner like this.
  2. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

i thought it was from a tape. what type of operation has turntable that runs slow.

3. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I will, if I feel like it.

4. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

For those who have the 6 CD set....do you think the tracks included on the single CD edition are the best takes from the set?

5. voles

voles Forum Lurker

A bootlegging operation. It was a DAT tape of an acetate, I believe.

6. voles

voles Forum Lurker

That could only be a subjective assessment. I would say no. Not a bad selection though.

bbanderic likes this.
  7. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I too would say "No" BUT I think those chosen work well together, perhaps more so than a "best take" selection might.

bbanderic likes this.
  8. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Let me ask it this way...are there any tracks from the 6 CD's, not included on the single CD version that really stand out and are must have? I'm buying the single CD and 7digital has all the tracks from the box for sale individually, the whole set is is a bit much for me.

9. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

if its a dat its likely from a cassette. those UK bootleggers are pretty fastidious shocking they didnt catch the speed thing.
    someone has to have a TP out there.

10. voles

voles Forum Lurker

They could be Russian for all I know. Of course there are test pressings out there. They are listed on 'Searching For a Gem' and come up for auction now and then, I believe...

11. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

UK is where the bootleggers reside. Cant name them here tho lol

12. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

There was discussion on this (with specific tracks) just a few pages from here

13. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

rednax, RayS and mark ab like this.
  14. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

"Lily, Rosemary, and the Jack of Hearts" apparently "doesn't fit in thematically" with the rest of the album.

While he has plenty of good things to say about the track, I'm getting kind of impatient hearing this assertion. It absolutely fits. It's a song about absence on an album about absence. The Jack of Hearts is never quite present, never quite absent.

It's a narrative on an album that contains multiple narratives. Is it different in some ways? Yes. That's the idea--to add a bit of variety.

It's one of Dylan's most virtuoso vocal deliveries, an exquisite narrative song.

15. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It is fairly easy to play as it appears on Bootleg Series 123, etc. But try playing it as it's played in Minnapolis, and you'll find the rhythm is a mother of a bitch. Chord changes not working out rhythmicly. This is because of the way the chords are broken up with the various players supporting each other. Same reason bands covering the Rolling Stones sound so stale, it's guitar chemistry between Keith and Ronnie, or Taylor.

I'd like to know how or if anyone can get around that issue on TUIB. Bob certainly never did in concert. He simply reverts to the earlier arrangement. I've stood in the front row and watched how he (Dylan) handled that song on guitar.

16. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

It’s okay, you can always skip it on the record. Mr. Slate says so.

17. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

We hate hearing views that differ from our own I guess

18. voles

voles Forum Lurker

Actually I think that is what most of us are here for.

That’s a case in point I suppose :)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    Rickchick and fishcane like this.
  19. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I thought so too!

voles likes this.
  20. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Short answer is no. Though the single CD version is quite good.

Here's a list from of takes from the 6 CD set not on the single CD (from a few pages back) that sums things up pretty well.

Credit should be given to member "matt79rome89" for the list.

You're A Big Girl Now (Take 1)- Solo
    You're A Big Girl Now (Take 1 Remake)
    You're A Big Girl Now (Take 1, Remake 2)
    Simple Twist of Fate (Take 2)- Solo
    Simple Twist of Fate (Take 1A)
    Simple Twist of Fate (Take 2, Remake)
    Up To Me (Take 1)- Solo
    Up To Me (Take 2, Remake 2)
    Up To Me (Take 3, Remake 2)
    Idiot Wind (Take 3 with insert)
    Tangled Up In Blue (Take 2, Remake)
    Spanish Is the Loving Tongue (Take 1)
    Shelter From The Storm (Take 1)
    Buckets of Rain (Take 2)
    Buckets of Rain (Take 1, Remake 2)
    You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome (Take 8) I've seen a lot of votes for Take 5, but I prefer take 8. Almost sounds like the Grateful Dead, which I normally wouldn't gravitate to.
    You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome (Take 1, Remake 2)
    Meet Me In The Morning (Take 2, Remake)
    Meet Me In The Morning (Take 1, Remake 2)

bbanderic likes this.
  21. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Thanks to you and matt79rome89, I'll check them out, much appreciated!

22. Dflow

Dflow Listening in the time of Dylan

It has been said over and over this box set is about process and I want to highlight just one little step along the way.

Simple Twist of Fate

Take 1 - “Maybe she’ll spot him again”

Take 2 - “Maybe he’ll pick her out again”

Take 1A - “Maybe he’ll pick her out again”

Take 3A - “Maybe he’ll spot her once again”

And then Bob strikes gold...

Take 2 Remake - “Maybe she’ll pick him out again”

He sticks with those lyrics for the well known Take 3 Remake.

Of course this is how I have always known the lyrics but I always appreciated how much “fate” was in play as the male narrator is reflecting back and hoping Fate play’s its hand and has her picking him again.

Sublime!

23. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Indeed! Process.

And all those minor variations were different to the final notebook which he brought to the studio, which itself went through a number of alterations for that verse. He seems to have decided on "Maybe she'll pick him up again" after starting out with what he finally settled on, "Maybe she'll pick him out again":-

[​IMG]

I think he was wise to avoid the awkward original stunt/hunt/waterfront rhyme. Who knows what might have happened if there had been an unfortunate slip of the tongue...

24. voles

voles Forum Lurker

It's the same track as the one on the test pressing except for that one word. I wish I could hear it too, as well as the Simple Twist of Fate anomaly.

25. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

"Like an acrobat he does his stunt" and "Maybe she'll pick him UP again" certainty suck the romance right out of the song. Good changes indeed.