Bob Dylan – Bootleg Series Vol. 14: More Blood, More Tracks (2 Nov 2018)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Nov 2, 2016.

1. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

What we've heard through the grapevine is that the rumored Bootleg Series BOTT volume will be called "More Blood, More Tracks," and that it will probably be available in a multi-disc box set (SIX CDs is the number frequently mentioned, probably with books, beer-bottle opener, fake blood :D, etc.), with 2-CD and vinyl editions, as well. As with the other recent BS releases, we expect an official announcement in Sept. or Oct., and a release date sometime in November.

It's still unknown whether or not the new set will include tapes of the complete sessions from NYC and Minneapolis, or whether it will be an edited/curated version of all the recordings. There is still some uncertainty about the MPLS session tapes -- they may be lost, although all of the the finished master takes were safely preserved.

Should be another in a long line of "must have" Dylan collections.

2. vulcangascompany

vulcangascompany Forum Resident

This thread got me to take a look at BOTT LPs on the bay, was surprised to win this promo for $60, OK its not an acetate or test pressing but for the money I think its pretty nice thing!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

That's fantastic. :righton: You got a pretty good deal, IMO.

Love-love-love those white label Columbia records (with timing strip, even better). I have quite a few of the 45 promos, but the LPs are usually out of my price range, so I'm a little envious...

vulcangascompany likes this.
  4. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

I own this Japanese promo LP of Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid. ’Tis a lovely thing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. dee

dee Senior Member

Thanks! :wave: Much appreciated, sounds like it has the makings of another BS winner :uhhuh:

adamos, NYMets41 and HominyRhodes like this.
  6. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

Out walking, I enjoyed “Another Self Portrait” which reminded me hoe Bob Dylan delights in surprising us.

I’m betting “More Blood; More Tracks” will not disappoint.

I think there’s going to be cuts we’ve not heard.

7. Antivenom9808

Antivenom9808 Forum Resident

My personal "Blood On The Tracks" always will be:

01 - "TANGLED UP IN BLUE" (The Bootleg Series vol 1 - 3)
    02 - "TWIST OF FATE" (Blood On The Tracks)
    03 - "YOU'RE A BIG GIRL NOW" (Blood On The Tapes Bootleg)
    04 - "IDIOT WIND" (Blood On The Tapes Bootleg)
    05 - "UP TO ME" (Biograph)
    06 - "LONESOME WHEN YOU GO" (Blood On The Tracks)
    07 - "CALL LETTER BLUES" (The Bootleg Series vol 1 - 3)
    08 - "MEETING ME IN THE MORNING" (Blood On The Tracks)
    09 - "SHELTER FROM YOUR STORM" (Jerry McGuire Soundtrack)
    10 - "IF YOU SEE HER, SAY HELLO" (Blood On The Tapes Bootleg)
    11 - "BIG JIM, LILY, ROSEMARY AND THE JACK OF HEARTS" (Blood On The Tapes Bootleg)
    12 - "BUCKETS OF RAIN" (Blood On The Tracks)

Similar to the original tracklist:

[​IMG]

Cohesive and real.

8. Whiskeytown86

Whiskeytown86 Well-Known Member

Is the take from the Jerry Mc. soundtrack part of the NY sessions? I've never heard it (sorry!), but this thought popped in my head just now... if there was a tinkle of a paino on the take, does this mean that there might be multiple takes with a full band from the NY sessions that could be released? I thought it was only guitar, harmonica and organ overdubbed. Was the organ and pedal steel on You're a Big Girl Now just the insturments they left on the cut against the full band?

asdf35 likes this.
  9. No, no, no and definitely not! ;)

10. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

Union Sundown is a muddled mess, lyrically. I have issues with the lyrics of Neighborhood Bully, too, but that song, at least, seriously rocks.

My anticipation for this box makes it clear that Blood is by far my favourite Dylan album. I was fascinated by The Cutting Edge, but hearing the complete sessions for Blood will be one of the monumental musical events of my life.

SteveM, dylan1974, Lars1966 and 2 others like this.
  11. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Totally. The way I see it, the only versions of these songs that exist are the few contained in the acetates and album. The live versions from 1975-onward don't count in the same way (to me). So, the prospect of hearing new versions is really an event. Even hearing a take that breaks down would somehow be fitting for the tone of the songs. Everything breaks down.

My go-to when the box comes it will be the first sessions. Even if they are scattered across the box or stuck on disc 6.

12. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

One of his best for sure, Man of Peace, I and I, Neighborhood Bully, Union Sundown.

13. h.egbert

h.egbert Forum Resident

@SteveM and asdf35
    Is there really any confirmation that it's the complete sessions we will be provided with?

14. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Nope. To be technical, there isn't even an official word that the set will be BOTT!

I do know that the recent sets have been on point. It would make sense to provide more than simply highlights of the sessions. The signs look good, imo.

15. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

So, we're back to disbelief in BS 14 again?

I agree it with the sentiment that it will be one of the music events of my life, this exploration of Blood On the Tracks. I predict a best-seller.

... and my favorite song on the album "Sweetheart Like You." Dylan's songwriting talent was at a creative peak when he recorded Infidels. A few of the outtakes are equally brilliant and have been officially released elsewhere so we're not being denied anything. Every track is kickass rad. It doesn't need to be finished or unfinished to rate as one of his top 5 albums and I don't care who knows it.

Willie McTell likes this.
  16. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

Right. We know the finished product backwards and forwards, but, as with all transcendent art, HOW DID HE GET THERE?

Rough sketches, false starts, brief trips down dead-end alleys, sudden bursts of inspiration, accidents that reveal a hidden aspect of the song (even to its author), slight modifications that make everything fall perfectly into place ... it's all worthwhile and fascinating and only helps our appreciation and awe for the work grow.

So please, Sony, give us everything!

17. The Bard

The Bard Highway 61 Revisited. That is all.

I am exactly the other way round regarding BOTT and TCE!

My anticipation for this box makes it clear that H61R is by far my favourite Dylan album. I will be fascinated by More Blood, More Tracks, but hearing the complete sessions for 1965-1966 was one of the monumental musical events of my life. :cool:

18. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

How about a box set of all the quad and 5.1 mixes?

Larry Geller likes this.
  19. That's an interesting perspective. As far as I'm concerned three of those four songs rank at the absolute bottom of his 80's output, never mind the rest! The one I do rate much higher is "I and I".

I'd much rather we were waiting for an Infidels BS right now than BOTT, purely because the BS is great at unearthing real treasures and the weaker albums ("Infidels") usually resulted from a great batch of material being left behind from the same sessions. Obviously, BOTT is the complete opposite so at this stage I'm yet to be convinced of the value of the BOTT BS release.

Next Year's Man likes this.
  20. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

One thing we can agree on, I think - "I and I" is a magnificent song and, according to Leonard Cohen, it took just fifteen minutes to write :):-

"“Hallelujah” was a song that took me a long time to write. Dylan and I were having coffee the day after his concert in Paris a few years ago and he was doing that song in concert. And he asked me how long it took to write it. And I told him a couple of years. I lied actually. It was more than a couple of years. Then I praised a song of his, “I and I”, and asked him how long it had taken and he said, “Fifteen minutes.” "

#

21. Lol! I hope Leonard Cohen didn't take Bob at his word. We all know how Bob likes to play with people. In all honesty I bet it took him a lot longer than 15 minutes to write "I and I".

22. Somebody Naked

Somebody Naked Forum Resident

I really hope the Bootleg Series finds time to focus on the Oh Mercy sessions sooner rather than later. Now there's an album that has aged impeccably.

23. The Bard

The Bard Highway 61 Revisited. That is all.

Infidels and Oh Mercy BS are going to be great .... I think the DITG/KOL BS will also be great ... that opinion might be a touch more controversial though ;)
    I'd also like a full SOL BS ... although they have eaten into that a bit already.

24. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I want a Tempest BS volume. Tempest is the first Dylan album I got new (well, I did get Together Through Life for my birthday the week it came out, but, like, I wasn't ready for it then.)

HominyRhodes and The Bard like this.
  25. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

I'm not sure how many people I've told that story too, but it's one of my favorite Bob stories.

Yorick likes this.