Bob Dylan – Bootleg Series Vol. 14: More Blood, More Tracks (2 Nov 2018)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

"How many? About a hundred and thirty-six...... um, it's either a hundred and thirty-six or a hundred and forty-two..."

Jimmy B. likes this.
  2. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

Forgot to mention Sweetheart Like You, an fing great track. "A woman like you". Love SLY.
    The outs are outstanding, but Neighborhood Bully is one of his all time great sons as is
    Union Sundown and Man of Peace.

The Blood on the Tracks stuff is coming out, its been sitting in the can for a few years now. I think
    the plan was to make it part of big RTR box with the Scorsese doc but they finally put it out as is.
    RTR, will have a box of its own sometime in the future, which makes sense.

3. bobfan

bobfan Forum Resident

I would suggest that you can tell I and I took fifteen minutes...It's a good song, but for sheer song writing craft, it doesn't come close to Hallelujah in my opinion...

NaturalD and 1ifbyrain2ifbytrain like this.
  4. Regandron

Regandron Forum Resident

Sincerely disagree.. Dylan's not working at the level of craft, he is working on inspiration. Yes i I know there is craft too, we can see that in the annotations, but it is Dylan's ability to capture words and ideas at speed and in a unique way which sets him apart. I can hear the craft in 'Hallelujah' , it is dripping wth craft - - for me that is not necessarily a good thing.

Blue Note, asdf35 and Willowman like this.
  5. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

How many protest singers are there?

Jimmy B. and Percy Song like this.
  6. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Isn’t that Tell Tale Signs?

SteveFff likes this.
  7. The Absent-Minded Flaneur

The Absent-Minded Flaneur Forum Resident

Tell Tale Signs had some excellent outtakes from Oh Mercy but still managed to omit the best of the bootlegged versions of Born In Time. There's plenty more out there.

Personally I'd love to think we might get to hear how Man In The Long Black Coat evolved, but Krogsgaard seems to suggest that the song as we have it was a first take!

8. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

Tell Tale Signs included seven Oh Mercy tracks on the main edition and a further three on the deluxe edition. So ten total. A deep dive Oh Mercy Bootleg Series installment would offer much, much more than that. Likewise, so would a Time Out of Mind set. Mayhaps one day we will see Tell Tale Signs as a sampler with some bonus live cuts.

9. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

I tend to look at Vol. 1-3 as a sampler. Possibly it was a sampler of what they had available in 1991, and I don't think they new what a goldmine they had at the time.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  10. Mrsharko

Mrsharko Forum Resident

Ugh!!! Neighborhood Bully is a fine enough song for the most part but the lyrics are SO cringy!! At lease they are cringy if the song is about what I think it’s about!

IbMePdErRoIoAmL likes this.
  11. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

This is preferable. Had BOTT been combined with RTR, the set wound have been massive and likely at an obscene price point.

12. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

That's how I've always viewed TTS, as a fantastic sampler -- they tried to cover too much ground, IMO, and only skimmed the surface. I think each chapter of that period deserves a dedicated deep-dive into the tape vaults, especially the New Orleans sessions for Oh Mercy. (I read all about them in Chronicles Vol. 1.:D)

highway, Tim Wilson, mgb70 and 7 others like this.
  13. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

A sampler that tries to cover too much ground -- agreed.
    The New Orleans sessions for Oh Mercy in a Bootleg Series box set -- that's the best idea I've heard all day.

After The 1965 Live Recordings brick, of course.

14. bobfan

bobfan Forum Resident

For me, I and I is a good song; some clever lyrics, a melody that is successful at creating that desolate, late night, feel that really only came alive during the 1993 London performances. Hallelujah on the other hand is a classic on every level; melodically, lyrically, thematically. There's really no comparison.

15. Richard--W

I reject the idea of comparing or equating the two songs. I'm offended by the notion that one devalues the other. They're both great.

Dave Gilmour's Cat and highway like this.
  16. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

This.
    NB has been a major guilty pleasure for me ever since its release.
    US, not so much.

redsock likes this.
  17. Richard--W

When you say Union Sundown is a muddled mess are you referring to the politics? or ...?

18. bobfan

bobfan Forum Resident

I and I is good; Hallelujah is great.

19. Richard--W

I reject the idea of comparing or equating the two songs. I'm offended by the notion that one devalues the other.

Dave Gilmour's Cat likes this.
  20. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

It's certainly a step up from DITG and KOL, but I've never warmed up to Oh Mercy, other than a few key tracks. I like the sonics, but the songwriting seems pretty pedestrian for Dylan. There's a song called "Political World," where the first line of every verse is literally "We live in a political world." There's a song called "Shooting Star," where the first line is literally "I saw a shooting star tonight." All of it seems pretty on-the-nose. It's clearly a step up from his material from the previous few years, and better by far than UTRS, but I've never understood all the love Oh Mercy gets. On the other hand, I think his Wilburys material from the era was top-notch.

21. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

honestly, i think the sonics are dated and some of the Tell Tale Signs versions let the songs shine. while i agree with "Political World" being a stupid song, "Shooting Star" is amazing. yes, the first line of the song is literally "seen a shooting star tonight" but the rest of the song is gorgeous. it has all of that apocalyptic weirdness that i love about latter-day Dylan. you can bust up the first line all you want, but what about this verse?

Listen to the engine, listen to the bell
    As the last fire truck from hell
    Goes rolling by
    All good people are praying
    It’s the last temptation, the last account
    The last time you might hear the sermon on the mount
    The last radio is playing

highway, Lars1966, IronWaffle and 5 others like this.
  22. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

Political World is a great track. "We live in a Political World icicles hanging down".
    OH MERCY, I remember when it came out, Dylan riding his bike by the painting on the wall.
    A great album.

23. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

All Dylan albums are great. If you think one of his records is not great, then its your mind that needs tuning.

1ifbyrain2ifbytrain likes this.
  24. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Well I’d almost agree but then there’s KNOCKED OUT LOADED....

redsock likes this.
  25. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

Great album. KOL. I love that record. Not at first, but I saw the light. KOL is so good...
    thats the Box that needs doing, a box with all the RnR material from KOL and DOTG...

bonus likes this.