Bob Dylan – Bootleg Series Vol. 14: More Blood, More Tracks (2 Nov 2018)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Mrsharko

Mrsharko Forum Resident

Oh yes, this would make sense. I was thinking it might be Little Red Rooster, which I would prefer, especially if it features Mick. I don’t remember where that rumour came from though; not in any liner notes that I recall...

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  2. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

adriatikfan and Mr. Explorer like this.
  3. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

It seems more fitting that a mock up of the original acetate be a Record Store Day release, similar to the RSD release of The Basement Tape

4. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

I forgot to include this one:-

[​IMG]

5. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

Trailer for a new book by C.H.

No One Else Could Play That Tune

6. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

What tune is playing in that Heylin trailer? In my excitement I thought I was hearing some of the sessions.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  7. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Sounds like Buckets Of Rain (or a variation thereof) to me.

HominyRhodes and asdf35 like this.
  8. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Wow, I hesitated to say this but it sounded too damn pretty to have been old rattle-button Bob!

HominyRhodes likes this.
  9. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

The fingerpicking doesn’t sound like Bob’s style to me, although the guitar is in an open tuning. My guess is, it’s simply evocative music played by someone else. Could be wrong though.

subtr and asdf35 like this.
  10. appearcomposed

appearcomposed Forum Resident

do y'all think this book is gonna be worth picking up? looks sort of interesting.

asdf35 likes this.
  11. HominyRhodes

Why does Heylin seem obsessed with making Dylan's marital woes and his supposed tom-cattin' around with the record company lady the primary focus of his writings about the making of BOTT? Is it because he interviewed Ms. Bernstein? That angle was the main thrust of the chapter in his Recording Sessions book two decades ago, as well.

This new book cover, and the negative "unmaking" theme -- a ploy to sell more copies? Can't Clinton simply judge the songwriting and the recordings on their own merits, and relegate the soap-opera stuff to backstory status, or maybe an article for some scandal sheet or show-biz gossip website? What about the music, man?

I didn't buy Heylin's last tome about the Gospel years, and unless I can be persuaded that *NOECPTT* offers valuable material otherwise unavailable, I might pass this time, too. I'll just keep my dial tuned right here to SHF.TV and I'm sure that everything will be revealed. :cool:

12. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Had a friend use one of those music-identifying Apps on the audio - and it showed "No matches." So, hopefully this is a preview of The Sessions. Really, really hope it is because a nice musical interlude would work well for these sessions.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I find life to be much more satisfying without reading Clinton Heylin's works. I had enough of his self-centered views years ago

14. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

I hate to spoil it for some of y'all but...the music on that book trailer is generic playing meant to approximate the music he's writing about without crossing too much of a line. The reason they're not using actual Bob music is because it's prohibitively expensive. If he could have Dylan music playing along with the advertisement, he would. But every trailer, especially a book about music, kinda has to have music, I guess. So this is what we got.

15. mightyquinn61

mightyquinn61 Forum Resident

Ever watch that Isis DVD "Bob Dylan 1941-1966 - Tales From a Golden Age"? It has this generic playing all through it, sounds a little bit like Bob, but it's not.

Mr. Explorer and HominyRhodes like this.
  16. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Ha, yep I think you're right. I doubt the indie book could get an exclusive such as this, especially when it's a bit hinged on private matters.

However it is a pleasant little tune, not far from where I could imagine the sessions going.

Just so excited about the set, I'm apparantly willing to believe Bob was listening to John Fahey that September...

Aoide, Mr. Explorer and HominyRhodes like this.
  17. HominyRhodes

Yeah, it was a fooler at first, but I think it is just one of those *Royalty-Free* tracks for sale everywhere online.

I know that the tune and structure of "Buckets of Rain" was ostensibly borrowed from Tom Paxton's version of "Bottle of Wine," and it probably was, but that guitar style really just grew into the folk-blues scene over many years. I always associated Dylan's playing on "Buckets" with Mississippi John Hurt, or with this guy:

Sugar Babe - Mance Lipscomb (Live)

PADYBU, mightyquinn61, asdf35 and 2 others like this.
  18. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Most of Mance Lipscomb's songs are played and sound exactly like that. He knew a few different tunes but he always played the same way. I could list a dozen other bluesmen who played the same way. While I don't doubt that Lipscomb was an influence I seriously doubt if Dylan was stealing from him in a direct or conscious way. It's just guitar playing. Further, Paxton's "Bottle of Wine" -- one of the few songs by him that I can tolerate -- is in itself derivative of earlier guitar players and their tunes that came before it. The tune and the lyrics have many antecedents. Folk music prides itself on perpetuation and imitation; that's the name of the game. The whole point of folk music is to keep the melodies and lyrics going. It isn't fair to call every variation and progression stealing.

This thread really needs to step out of this rut and move on. I happen to know a lot about the research process and the application of historical and biographical methods, as opposed to journalism. Heylin's mentality in these books repels me. He's not the only one slinging dirt and gossip about Bob Dylan. If I believed it were all true it would sour the music for me forever. I don't need to know this crap. I'm content to let the mystery linger on. I just want to experience the music.

Bootleg Series 14 is reason to celebrate. It's all about the music on the record.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    richierichie, NYMets41, voles and 3 others like this.
  19. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Heylin is still upset that Dylan won't hire him as manager with absolute authority, so he will continue on his path

20. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Vinyl version will be 2 lps.

21. HominyRhodes

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  22. HominyRhodes

Screenshot from the Heylin book promo; hoping to see a lot more of this type of studio paperwork in the weeks/months ahead.
    [​IMG]

23. John Rhett Thomas

Six days from now that'll be 44 years ago! Only six more days! :p

Mr. Explorer and HominyRhodes like this.
  24. John Rhett Thomas

BTW, I simply cannot conceive that the 6-disc set will cost the £250 as advertised on Amazon UK. If it's that much, well...I just don't think I'll be able to afford it.

Mooserfan likes this.
  25. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

That’s for the Japanese Blu-Spec2 import version. The standard pressing will be cheaper.