Bob Dylan – Bootleg Series Vol. 14: More Blood, More Tracks (2 Nov 2018)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

I consider them "sexy", but maybe that's just me. The album sold well, too. According to Wiki: "Desire reached #1 on the Billboard Pop Albums chart for five weeks, becoming one of Dylan's top-selling studio albums (currently certified double platinum), while reaching #3 in the UK."

I think it would lead to a very interesting BS set. And maybe there's an "extended version" of "Joey"!

Heart of Gold and Percy Song like this.
  2. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

Well, if they set in stone we'll get the Gospel years in 2017, what can we expect next?
    I'm compilling you guys' ideas, that, as usual, are all mostly incredible and tasteful.

SHF board suggestions:
    NYC Town Hall '63
    Carnegie Hall '63
    Royal Festival Hall '64
    Hollywood Bowl '65
    Newport '63-'65
    Dylan on Woody Guthrie Memorial
    Planet Waves/Peter Garrett outtakes
    World Gone Wrong/Good As I Been To You outtakes (maybe in the vein of Another Self Portrait!)
    Never Ending Tour highlights
    (my vote here would be for something linked to 2000 Portsmouth - to me, the best Dylan vocal performances).

Possible releases mentioned on articles by Dylan's staff:
    Blood On The Tracks - Rolling Thunder Revue - Hard Rain TV special
    Early NYC Coffe house shows
    Oh Mercy era
    Infidels
    (maybe a revised Tell Tale signs with mid-eighties stuff in)
    Supper Club
    1986 tour

Tom Schreck and RedSkyRider like this.
  3. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Great photo. My choice for number 14 would be the Infidel sessions. I love the album and all the outtakes that circulate. Would love to hear the covers of Green Green Grass of Home and Church of the Poison Mind. It was all recorded at Power Station using a new digital system that is not easy to play back now so would take some doing but I have faith in Bob's current archival team.

Sean and Claudio Dirani like this.
  4. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Yes Desire was a good seller for Bob in both the USA and UK I think. I believe Street Legal did well in the UK but not so good Stateswise.

5. Claudio Dirani

I am also a Dylan late-in-the-game follower!
    Loved all your stories, guys.

I started listening to him from Empire Burlesque onwards. In retrospect, it's not a very good album and the best showcase to become a fan. But we were kids in the 80's after all.
    Listening to EB now I'm starting to like it better and don't agree on what most critics say.
    Of course, the album has suffered the same fate of things by McCartney (Press To Play) and Bowie (Never Let Me Down). Coincidence or not, I like them all for what they are.

Back to Dylan, the real click happened after Martin Scorsese's No Direction Home...that was really the trigger for me to become addicted.

And that's the weight a real and detailed retrospect project has on hooking up new fans.
    The Bootleg Series is a vastly superior archival project in comparison to any other artist. Period.
    As @Sean Murdock perfectly points out: context is everything and Dylan's lack of "invasion" in the whole process allows the real vault diggers to do their homework.

Thanks, Bob.

6. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

Blood On Tracks and Desire were great albums and bestsellers. I hope that both the sessions will get The Cutting Edge treatment, maybe with a combined release.

7. The Bard

The Bard Highway 61 Revisited. That is all.

I'd combine Planet Waves with Blood and Desire with Street Legal fwiw.
    But overall .. release it ALL!

George P and Claudio Dirani like this.
  8. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I actually like Empire Burlesque :)

Sean, jeffrey walsh, Nightowl and 3 others like this.
  9. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

There's an obvious thematic arc between the three records, but I think it's also quite likely Blood and Desire are paired, maybe with the Rolling Thunder material from 75 and 76, while Planet Waves is treated on its own with Tour 74 material alongside it.

Claudio Dirani likes this.
  10. Claudio Dirani

Planet could gather stuff from Pat...
    Now I wonder if they plan to make a BS totally based on Dylan's cinematic features?

11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I think you are wrong. But I also don't believe there is any specific plan from Dylan or SONY at this moment. Maybe in the late winter or spring they will think about something.

12. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I wouldn't mind an undubbed Dylan album.

13. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Yes -- I was hoping they would rescue some (or all) of those songs from "revenge album" oblivion and put them on BS10.

14. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I have always enjoyed the bootleg of NET covers from 1988 - 2000. An official, better quality version of this set would be great.

15. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

Clinton Heylin recently confirmed at a meet and greet that the Blood On The Tracks bootleg series has been completed for some time and sitting on the shelf. He says, "It's all done. They can put it out whenever they can."

I think we all had a sense of this but it's nice to know. I think the delay is more about timing now and nothing to do with the missing tape rumors at this point.

16. George P

George P Notable Member

:goodie:

17. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

You know, I quite like that Clinton seems to have been accepted, even encouraged, of late by Bob Inc. You'd have bet everything against it after that dedication in his "Behind Closed Doors" book in the '90's, but there seems to have been some kind of rapprochement which has resulted in him providing liner notes for the "Complete Album Collection Vol. 1" and "The 1966 Live Recordings". He's not everyone's cup of tea as an author but he does exhibit a fan's enthusiasm for his subject and has always been happy to pass on snippets of information to those who have similar enthusiasm. Being apparently closer now to the hub of all things Bob can surely only enhance the veracity of those snippets.

I wonder who'll write the liner notes for BOTT BS?

18. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

Heylin might... he did say it was his favorite Dylan album!

19. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

He did. Which probably means JR will choose someone else...

20. Claudio Dirani

I saw him saying that on the video. But it did not convince me at all!
    He pretended he didn't get the question at first.
    I bet he's a Dylan geek like most of us and his actual favourite is none of the classics :)

21. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

He said his favourite album is Exile On Main Street.

22. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Who wants their life to go by even faster? I say, give me 2008 again. Or, maybe go back much much further, and give me anything after age 30 again.

adriatikfan, footlooseman and highway like this.
  24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I say, give us the "Songbook Years" (interpret that as you will)

25. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The audio tapes are good, but what I want are the videos of all 4 shows

John DeAngelis and Carserguev like this.