Bob Dylan – Bootleg Series Vol. 14: More Blood, More Tracks (2 Nov 2018)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Nov 2, 2016.

1. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Alderson partly touched on this point in the New York Magazine interview (sorry for no direct link to the article, but I haven't been able to find it on their site):

I used a portable Nagra, which was a tape machine that was made for early film work. Which is why all the songs begin and end oddly. The little five-inch reels would run out at odd times before the song ended, and I’d have to make changes.

2. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

There's a ridiculous amount of Bob's music that's been released officially, but you're right: It's not enough. And that's not hyperbole.

3. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

I agree about high quality; I just wish that companies wouldn't always, or seemingly go to this idea or practice where each release has to be a "special event" or an anniversary etc. I mean, they could wise up and realize that issuing CDs at any time of the year will still sell!
    I mean, how long before the original version of Blood On Tracks has its own release? This box should take care of that, but I wouldn't mind if that was released as well as a separate disc, somehow.
    (Critics would be going crazy over it, as well as fans)
    As someone who's been a Springsteen fan for many years, I've seen what can happen, or rather not, when far too much emphasis is placed on making every release "special" or an event - almost nothing happens, or comes out.
    So I'm very glad that Bob's way with the Bootleg Series has been far more material - just, time is slipping away. The more the better. Hell, the 1966 box is packaged just fine for me! The music is absolutely essential, and the price was great too, really! Much fairer than a lot of these releases. I mean to me $150 for 6 discs is a bit steep. But I've paid it. (Blue Box price is out of my reach, so I got it another way, after buying the 6 disc version)

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  4. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

There's never enough Bob music out there. :agree:

Jimmy B. likes this.
  5. Dark Horse 77

Can't agree with you more. Gaslight, NYC Town Hall, Carnegie Hall, and the Finjin Club performances are among the greatest pre-1966 Bob concerts out there. Manchester Hall 1965 should be in there, too.

6. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Even if it does have a sort of "budget" feel to it compared to the other releases, it's still a high quality set in my opinion! It's compact, and contains all the recordings available from that tour in the best possible sound. The special event aspect hasn't been too bad for the Dylan releases, since it's been an annual thing! And let's not forget, for the past three years Dylan also put out a new album. And, until this past year, the copyright sets. I won't say that there's such a thing as too much Dylan but there has been no shortage either as of late.

Pawnmower, IronWaffle and Jimmy B. like this.
  7. Jimmy B.

Thank you, and yes Manchester is absolutely incredible. It's been a little while since I listened to Finjin, have to go back (a public domain [grey area release] CD I got of it is missing some material).

8. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Your wish is my ... something or other:

"We've always wanted to do one of pre-album stuff where Bob is just singing songs in Greenwich Village coffeehouses," says the Dylan source. (September 2015)

9. Dark Horse 77

If it's the one I remember, Bob does a really early performance of "Hard Rain's Gonna Fall" and by the end of the song the whole crowd is singing along to the "it's a hard, it's a hard, a hard rain's a-gonna fall" chorus. From the first time I heard that through to the present day it never fails to give me chills.

IronWaffle, Sean Murdock and Jimmy B. like this.
  10. Jimmy B.

Thank you - I wish that they'd be listening, I'd hope so, as - how hard is it to realize this? - fans, esp. fanatics, will gladly buy more than one release a year of their favorite artist!
    I don't know why they can't figure that out!

The Gaslight tapes being upgraded and released is very exciting news to me; I wish for an announcement - no need to keep everyone in suspense (over any release).

Also I have to agree with you, and love what you wrote about what are now still two of my favorite Dylan bootlegs - the Town Hall and Carnegie Hall shows - you stated it perfectly - it is some kind of cultural injustice to deny these shows, complete shows, to the world.

11. Jimmy B.

I'm gonna have to look for my download, as I was going to listen to my CD of it, but it's an 11 song one (on "BDA") and it's missing that. I want to hear that! :)

12. Dark Horse 77

Yes, definitely! I might be remembering the venue wrong, but it's definitely from 1962 and I'm fairly sure before he actually recorded the song. It's definitely before Freewheelin' came out and you can hear how much the crowd is with him on this new song.

13. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Same tapes. Originals vs. ?th generation dub. And with the possibility that the original source is longer (either by seconds or by songs - I'd say the former is much more likely).

14. Jimmy B.

Yes it's not Finjin; I'm glad to find now it's not, as I - I wonder what show I have on CD that's missing something... (some other early show) - as I can't find a download of it on some external hard drives.
    Finjan Club | The Official Bob Dylan Site

I wonder what show you heard that from....and if I have it as well, or could get it...sounds thrilling! (Unlike many, who I don't understand, I *love* when the audience sings along, or is audible in their excitement!)
    (Oh, and an early version of an all-time classic as well!!! :righton:

15. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I was listening to a great early Blowin In The Wind today from the copyright extension set.
    Bob sounds so passionate and it almost sounds like a higher key.
    Live recording not sure from where since it wasn’t listed on my iPod.

Why can’t the 50th copyright sets be released ? They could put them all in a big box and sell the for $100 like the 66 live set.

nfmboss666 and Jimmy B. like this.
  16. Dark Horse 77

Maybe it's actually the Gaslight. My memory is shot!! :shake: I just remember hearing it, checking the date of the performance and being astounded at how early he was performing Hard Rain.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  17. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

At this point, I'd prefer to see the material released, but not necessarily in that format. Do a release of all the studio outtakes from 62-64. Release full concerts (not the ones on the copyright sets which are chopped out and exclude most of the performances previously released.) And of course, there are opportunities for some improvements. Perhaps foremost in my mind is putting the remake of That's Alright Mama out, which was accidentally excluded from the '62 copyright set in favor of repeating one of the earlier takes. Oops.

There's all the pre-62 material too which is currently public domain. But I'd gladly go for a well presented official release. Imagine if they were able to get the "armpit" tape. Well, the actual recording, which sounds good from the available samples.

JMGuerr and IronWaffle like this.
  18. Jimmy B.

They underestimate the fans, what they want, and think except for newly recorded music, that artists like Bob are just good for Christmas-type releases for the most part.
    The greatest songwriter of all time?!? I don't know what they're thinking. I agree; I paid around that just for the first one myself.
    Right now I'm listening to Lay Down Your Weary Tune from Carnegie Hall via Unravelled Tales. Why can't this recording be bought for $25 or so at Amazon right now? A nice, slimline double-CD set. It's not impossible...

19. Jimmy B.

Oh I was just listening to that earlier; I'd have to check it again; I'm listening to Carnegie Hall '63 right now. Don't feel bad, my memory is bad myself, and also, there's so many shows, it's easy to get mixed up or forget.
    If someone asked me now which I prefer, Carnegie Hall or Town Hall, I wouldn't know what to say; I guess it would be whichever I'm listening to at the time (or just heard).

I think A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall is one of the two greatest songs, okay make that three (can't forget Blowin' In The Wind) that he ever wrote - A Hard Rain and Chimes of Freedom.
    A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall is astonishing - when Allen Ginsberg said (what documentary? Hammond?) that the lyrics reduced him to tears, I welled up, agreeing.

Woops - Percy's Song - can't write now! ;)

20. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I think you mean $59. Correct?

Those who wish "white glove" delivery can pay $41 extra.

21. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

After supporting Bob Dylan since the summer of 1973 I expect and am
    entitled to "white glove" delivery on a silver salver to my front door,
    plus $41 in cash if I accept.

I'm thinking about looking for another home for my remaining reel-to-reels.

22. Richard--W

I've been listening to Unravelled Tales as well. And the Town Hall on Hollow Horn's other set. I refrain from posting scans of the boots. Both concerts were superbly recorded and the tape sources are in crystal clear clarity. But I will gladly replace them with an official release.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  23. Jimmy B.

I just finished a minute or two ago listening to Unravelled Tales!
    It had me moved to tears at times.
    The story about the blacklist before With God On Our Side (after talking about Hootenanny Hoot with Judy Henske) and MAN, what a performance! A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall, Percy's Song, Seven Curses, the whole show...

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  24. Richard--W

Holy Grail recordings:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both performances are solo acoustic masterpieces.
    17 May 1964 Royal Festival Hall U.K. is another one.
    Also have the Crystal Cat editions.
    In the 1970s and 1980s I used to beg and plead the private super collectors for copies of these tapes, but I got nothing from them. "Your love for the music is not an incentive for me to give it away" one private collector, whom you all know, said. "You have to offer me a tape from the 1960s nobody else has." Another decade goes by and excerpts come out on official releases, and then European bootleggers release the entire concerts on CD. Uncut in resonant acoustic sound. I paid $120 for each. I used to get a lump in my throat listening to these concerts; but I must be acclimated by now.

I'll toss them on the fire if and when an official release comes.

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  25. JMGuerr

JMGuerr Forum Resident

^ This.

Jimmy B., AGimS and bem like this.