Bob Dylan – Bootleg Series Vol. 14: More Blood, More Tracks (2 Nov 2018)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Wind up!

Tribute likes this.
  2. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

:yikes:

:confused:

I wonder how the actual performance compares....I can't believe this...

3. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

I agree. They are superb packages and wonderful performabces. In fact, the entire series in this run of releases are remarkable.

4. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Shvartze Shabbos and Jimmy B. like this.
  5. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

Shvartze Shabbos and stepeanut like this.
  6. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Here’s a video I’ve never seen before

Anyone know the story here? Maybe this should be in its own thread?

7. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

That's an appearance on the Canadian TV show Quest. It's been long in circulating. A lovely and visually arresting performance, for sure.

8. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

I've no doubt most people have seen this, but to add fuel to the fire the usually reliable ISIS magazine states that 'There is talk that there will be an official Vinyl release of The Gaslight Tapes.'

(See 22 May update): Access All Areas (NEWS & BLOG) | Bob Dylan ISIS Magazine

I wonder if it will be limited to vinyl only, or if it will emerge on CD/hi res too?

9. Hopefully CD too!

Alan57, JMGuerr and subtr like this.
  10. aoxomoxoa

I'm in for the vinyl!

11. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

Perhaps suggesting it’s a Black Friday RSD release and not a Bootleg Series volume as others here guessed. Still odd to release that around the same time as a Blood and/or Desire and/or RTR set but I don’t mind.

12. aoxomoxoa

Please make it a standard release. No more of this limited Record Store Day crap!

13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Totally agree! None of the many independent stores in my region participate, as they also find it to be a scam, for the dealers as well as their customers.

Just put music out so anyone who wants it can buy it, whether CD or vinyl. No downloads only, no overpriced vinyl only

14. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

No, both. Why should users of one format or the other miss out ! :)

Both sets of users would gobble this up faster than my Aussie Shepherd Dog can eat his dinner :D

Richard--W, Alan57 and When In Rome like this.
  15. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Re: "Dylan at the Gaslight"

Completely out of character, I'm going to nail my colours to the mast.

While Richard Alderson's Gaslight Tapes may well be released officially on an LP as the Isis information speculates, they will also appear as an official CD set. Richard has an autobiography to publicise and a vinyl-only release won't create enough of that desired publicity. Also, I'd say "Dylan at the Gaslight" isn't high-profile enough to be a Bootleg Series release. Most of the content already appears officially on the Star*ucks CD in not-bad-at-all quality, so there won't be much that's new. Expect a relatively low-key release soon under the "Performance Series" banner.

For the next Bootleg Series, my colours are blood red.

16. aoxomoxoa

Well the Starbucks CD is only half the material, and it's long out of print so this deserves release along side of Finjan Club, and the other outstanding 1961-1963 recordings that have been circulating for years.
    It is also rumored that the "McKenzie Tapes" exist in high fidelity stereo and that what we have are very low fi copies. Those, plus a proper restoration of the Carnegie Hall 1961 tapes would be greatly appreciated.

IronWaffle, Jimmy B. and subtr like this.
  17. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

There is an mp3 only (or, at least, I've not found a lossless version yet) of the entire 1961 Carnegie Chapter Hall performance out there... but yes, an official release would be great!

18. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

I think that's only about 60% of the show! :)

subtr likes this.
  19. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

Really?! Great - even more reason for a full on release of it. Thanks.

Tom Schreck likes this.
  20. JMGuerr

JMGuerr Forum Resident

+1

21. aoxomoxoa

The version I have suffers from heavy noise reduction. Compared to a track from the same show from The Genuine B.S. which has a lot of noise. I wonder if there is a better tape that exists?

22. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

High Fidelity Stereo is an extremely subjective term. Anything recorded on a home reel-to-reel is better in mono than stereo any day.

Richard--W likes this.
  23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Of course I meant that it should be available in both formats. I prefer CD these days, for listening. LPs are cool, but.....

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  24. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Yes, of course it all deserves to be officially released, particularly if it exists in better quality than we already have; and sooner or later it will happen, even for those tapes which are effectively public domain in Europe. But the two releases that are imminent are "Dylan at the Gaslight" and the "Blood on the Tracks" sessions. As there will not be two Bootleg Series releases in a single year then it is logical that "BOTT" will be released in November as a BS 14 box set (and a separate 2CD "highlights"), and "Dylan at the Gaslight" will be released this summer under a different banner, such as "Brandeis" was a few, actually many, years ago.

I thought that "Brandeis" was going to be the start of a kind of mini-Bootleg Series devoted to the early tapes, some of which you mention above. It appears not to have been; perhaps it didn't sell well enough. (Of course, initial copies were given away with BS 9 and The Original Mono Recordings box, so maybe there wasn't so much of a desire to make a huge profit out of that one.) If "Dylan at the Gaslight" proves to be successful (i.e. a money-spinner), it could be, as @subtr alluded to some pages ago, the start of a new attempt to market the early tapes. I suspect the success of "The 1966 Live Recordings" box (the first pressing sold out on pre-orders) also gave Bob Inc. food for thought regarding Tour '74 and Rolling Thunder. Certainly a box of Rolling Thunder seems likely to be at least as popular as the 1966 box.

In other words: it's all good!

Potentially.....

#

25. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

In my mind, a proper, full Gaslight release would replace the Starbucks one. It's not as "exciting" of a release since at this point, in some form, all the recordings have been released. But it's like an expanded remaster. And it brings the Gaslight tapes a release that is keeping with the higher quality standards than what was previously done. Just like how a Rolling Thunder box could supersede the Bootleg Series vol 5.

Richard--W and IronWaffle like this.