Bob Dylan – Bootleg Series Vol. 14: More Blood, More Tracks (2 Nov 2018)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Yes, indeed.

Importantly, "Dylan at the Gaslight" will acknowledge the man who recorded the performances and the liner notes will contain (what's left of) his memories of the event(s). In a recent interview, Richard indicated that he gave copies of his tapes to Albert Grossman after Bob had listened to them, and that these were the ones that were used for the bootlegs. The extensive liner notes (by Sean Wilentz) in the Star*bucks package make out that these tapes, and the circumstances in which they were recorded, are all a bit of a mystery:-

"But the exact whys and wherefores of these recordings are unremembered, even by Dylan himself....The persons, purposes, and planning behind these... recordings, however, will remain forgotten until and unless someone steps forward to explain."

Are we sure about that....?

Likewise with BS Vol.4: the only person in the liner notes missing was Richard "Nagraman" Alderson, at last given a credit for his work on "The 1966 Live Recordings".

#

2. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

You can say that again.

You can say that again.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  3. Richard--W

Don't be surprised if The Gaslight Tapes turns out to be a premium like San Diego '79.

4. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

If that is the case I will stick to me ol' trusty boot CD

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  5. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

It is a possibility. And the vinyl a RSD Black Friday exclusive. But still there is hope for a stand alone commercial release, both CD and vinyl.

6. The Bard

The Bard Highway 61 Revisited. That is all.

I wish I had your self control ;)

7. Richard--W

I also have some excellent quality boots of the The Gaslight Tapes. None of them have the warm acoustic presence of the reel-to-reel tape I loaned and never got back. All the boots sound digitally processed. They sound almost metallic. The Rattlesnake CD in particular which is generally considered the best in sound quality sounds the most metallic.

So I will be glad to throw them out and replace them with the official, authorized two-three disc set from Sony with the 1962 Columbia label on it, with liner notes by Richard Alderson himself and photos of the cafe on the cover art. Aren't there some photos of Dylan performing in the Gaslight in '62?

8. Percy Song

Some say the photo below is from The Gaslight in '62. Others that it is from The Gaslight in '61. Bob is flanked by Ralph Rinzler and John Herald.

[​IMG]

Interestingly, there is a minor connection to "Blood on the Tracks". John Herald (on the right) formed The Greenbriar Boys with Eric Weissberg in 1958; Weissberg left the group before any recordings were made. He, Weissberg, played guitar on the first day of the BOTT sessions, 16 September 1974, appearing on "Meet Me In The Morning" on BOTT as well as the "Call Letter Blues" and "Tangled Up In Blue" outtakes featured on BS 1-3.

Ralph Rinzler, on the left, was a later member of The Greenbriar Boys.

[​IMG]

#

9. slane

slane Forum Resident

I don't think Weissberg (or any other Deliverance guitarist) plays on any of the acoustic takes on BS 1-3. Dylan's guitar is recorded in stereo, sometimes giving the illusion of two acoustic guitars though it's not.

Percy Song likes this.
  10. Percy Song

I'm confident you're right regarding "Tangled Up In Blue". The recording sheets, if they materialise, probably don't specify players on individual takes. Let's say Eric was there - bewildered by the process, by all accounts....:)

slane likes this.
  11. slane

slane Forum Resident

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but the alternate Shelter From The Storm (Jerry Maguire version) seems to me to have other instruments mixed out. I'm sure I can hear drums and some sort of 'lead' instrument at various points. Bass was reported as being mixed out for this track, but I'm sure there's more than that.

12. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

The same Ralph Rinzler who founded the Smithsonian Folklife Festival, I assume?

13. Percy Song

jlf likes this.
  14. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

I thought the line was: "But to dream, you gotta still be asleep".

Richard--W likes this.
  15. Richard--W

'61 or '62, doesn't matter, it's Dylan in the Gaslight Cafe.
    Many thanks.

There must be more out there. I'll poke around.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  16. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Has anyone started a Bootleg Series Volume 15 thread yet?

NYMets41 likes this.
  17. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Not only that, but it’s already been closed.

18. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

19. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

That thread is closed. There are far too many control freaks around. "Deciders". I prefer my cider fresh and unpasteurized

IbMePdErRoIoAmL likes this.
  20. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

I suppose I'm missing your point then...?

21. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

DeeThomaz likes this.
  22. Percy Song

The original post.... 02 November, 2016. How time flies...

You may say I'm a dreamer....

• Hopes: I'm continuing to wave the flag for a big BOTT box.
    • Hunches: Based on the rapidly withdrawn post from Eric Andersen a while ago regarding the activities of Steve Addabbo, and also Richard Alderson's comment that the complete BOTT New York recordings are going to be released.
    • Expectations: I won't get everything I hope for. (See post 1338)
    • Fears: The book entitled "Images" won't have many relevant photographs in it. Are there many, or any, known photos taken between Tour '74 and Rolling Thunder '75? Also, the book entitled "And Distorted Facts" will not be entirely factual.
    • Rumours: See hunches, above, and posts from our friend @Mbd77 , who has been right before on several occasions.

In response to my own fears I offer this for inclusion in "Images". Hopefully there is a better resolution snap in existence.

[​IMG]

The songs for "Blood On The Tracks" were written here.

#

23. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

too much Dylan is better than too much of nothing.

24. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

I never lend my precious CDs to anybody.

Mean maybe, but your sad tale of the Gaslight tape is an example of why....

25. Richard--W

What place is this?