Bob Dylan – Bootleg Series Vol. 14: More Blood, More Tracks (2 Nov 2018)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Nov 2, 2016.

1. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

So it's pretty much a given that the book of pictures will be called "Images" and the essay book will be called "Distorted Facts", right? ;)

2. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

I have the eight disc BS 12 Cutting Edge and I find the "process" aspect here really rewarding--I was particularly ready to re-hear the mid-sixties material with fresh ears; having the work-in-progress variants and alternative out-takes side by side makes for a fascinating journey. This is in part because most of the process-works included in the 8 disc version are pretty well worked work out in their own right.

I'm less sure about the warts 'n' all take on BS 11 Basement Tapes Complete. I find myself returning somewhat less to this set largely because, I think, the "wartier" aspects put me off. I completely understand why a genuinely complete set was appropriate from this period (for historical and cultural reasons), but, aesthetically, some of the tracks jar just a little for me. That said, realistically I'm not really sure how it could have been curated. The two disc version is a horrible representation of the full set IMHO.

So I guess this means I am a little on the fence about how comprehensive BOT needs to be, if that make sense.

One thing I would like as part of the package would be a version of the released album that runs at the "proper" speed as I have read elsewhere that this makes for a different, improved, listening experience.

3. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Release it all, and let the buyer decide what tracks to play, or compile the playlists, or whatever.

Because even if we could all whittle down the basement tapes to two discs, I'm sure all our versions would be incredibly varied.

4. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

If they are, you heard it here first and I take all the credit....:)

#

DeeThomaz likes this.
  5. Percy Song

But it doesn't have to be an either/or preference. You can have the BOTT Bootleg Series in November and then have the copyright collection for 1969 next year. Clearly, that wouldn't include anything from "JWH" or "Planet Waves", though.

Big Brown sounds fine to me for next year!

Exactly. And the buyer doen't have to buy it all. The compilers of the Bootleg Series have been flexible enough to also caters for those who don't want everything. BS12 was an excellent example. Three versions, depending on your level of commitment/madness. Daddy Blue, Mummy Blue and Baby Blue. Obviously, I'm a hopeless case and bought all three.

#

6. revolution_vanderbilt

As far as my preferences go, the three options for the Cutting Edge were: too small, way too small, and just right.

Percy Song, DeeThomaz and SteveM like this.
  7. As opposed to mine which were: perfunctory but perfectly adequate, bloated and unnecessary, and "You're having a laugh, mate!" ;)

I only have the six disc "Deluxe" but to this day I haven't managed to get through it once yet! In contrast, I've played "Vol. 13" Deluxe through over a dozen times.

8. Gauth

Gauth Forum Resident

Absolutely. Ideally, I'd like to have ALL the sessions for EVERY single album. We're clearly not "casual" listeners though, but releasing the whole thing every time wouldn't take away from folks who want less either. Burn your own discs or playlists. This way no one would complain about the exclusion of this or that on the smaller sets.

9. revolution_vanderbilt

Well, 13, in the deluxe format, is a well-curated set of a pretty long period. It does a much better job than say two discs of The Basement Tapes.

SteveM likes this.
  10. Moray

Moray Forum Resident

The problem for the less mad amongst us comes when some of the most interesting things aren't on the baby version; for example I didn't want a full cd of Rolling Stone takes, but I did want the only complete take of She's Your Lover Now.

savemenow, Sean, Lars1966 and 3 others like this.
  11. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

True, and for me it was "She's Your Lover Now" that tipped me over towards Big Blue. I love that song so much, I just HAD to be able to hear every take. Honestly, when I boil it down to "favorites," I probably listen to less than 6 CDs of 1965-66 material -- but I love knowing that I have ALL of it in the box...

12. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

Where’s the dedicated thread for Live 1962–1966: Rare Performances from the Copyright Collections? I saw it. Now I can’t find it.

13. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

Jimmy B. likes this.
  14. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

15. Percy Song

My observations were very slightly different:-

Mini Baby Blue - Way too small
    Medium Mummy Blue - Too small
    Big Daddy Blue - I do understand why some of the banter is missing, although to remove some that we know exists is unforgivable (eg: the "This is called "Freeze Out"" intro, missing from "Visions of Johanna" ), but why was some of the music edited and faded out? The promise of "every note recorded" was not fulfilled.

16. revolution_vanderbilt

Good point. I was just thinking about Grossman saying "raw meat coming up for everyone in the band" missing from She's Your Lover Now.

Percy Song and DeeThomaz like this.
  17. Percy Song

Yes, I recall there's quite a bit of banter on the tapes reported by Sean Wilentz in his book, and there's even a little bit of banter and music (well, noises from instruments anyway) from the sessions on that BS7 sampler which doesn't appear on Big Daddy Blue.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

#

NumberEight and subtr like this.
  18. revolution_vanderbilt

I included those tracks (and plenty of other "noise") in my "bonus compendium."

19. Percy Song

You did, indeed. :)

Let's hope there's a bit of "noise" from the BOTT sessions, too....

20. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

For which, many thanks!

Someone should release the missing bits officially, since they’re now public domain. I’m sure it would be a really big seller...:hide:

21. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

I just saw a factory sealed (!) copy on eBay. Maybe you're lucky.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  22. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

"Are you a one take kind of guy?"

"Oh no. I can last all night."

Subtle, Bob :winkgrin:

23. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Well now that everyone sees it I’m sure it won’t go cheap !:winkgrin:

24. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

The announcement should come when? in July?

25. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I don't believe we received the official announcement of last year's set until mid-to-late September of last year, so it might still be a ways off.

EDIT: Yep. September 20th to be exact.

Sean Murdock and Richard--W like this.