Bob Dylan – Bootleg Series Vol. 14: More Blood, More Tracks (2 Nov 2018)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Nov 2, 2016.

1. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

More of the Empire has become Burlesque

streetlegal likes this.
  2. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Oh, brilliant, quite brilliant! I spent yesterday in disbelief that I hadn't picked up on those "The Cutting Edge" reference(s) in "Chronicles". Now I'm punishing myself for not remembering this Paul Nelson quote, which was most perceptive (although in this case "tracks" could not have meant "songs"). The upside is that (presumably) we can now all agree that both "The Cutting Edge" and "More Blood, More Tracks" are both terrific titles and much cleverer than any alternatives that we might offer up culled from Bob's contemporaneous lyrics.

It should be noted here, too, that in his biography of Neil, "Shakey", Jimmy McDonough claims that Bob made some musical contributions to the "Zuma"sessions and backs the claims up with quotes from band member Frank "Poncho" Sampedro:-

"Dylan, who lived around the corner from Briggs, shuffled in and joined the "Zuma" sessions, first on piano, then guitar. "He didn't talk, just nodded," said Sampedro. "He was dressed in Sears clothes—I didn't know it was Bob Dylan." The action-packed lineup fizzled when the Horse inevitably fell apart. "We did a bunch of his songs, never got one right all the way through," said Poncho. "Neil told me later Dylan said, 'Your band has a good beat, but they can't play,' and Neil replied, 'Yeah, but think about it, Bob—you could play with them.' " Sampedro recalls Dylan leading the ragtag group in songs from Blood on the Tracks. He also remembers Dylan tapping the keys on a version of Young's "Danger Bird." Said Sampedro of Dylan, "he was quiet—more inward than Neil, if that's possible"

(I'm not saying that any of the above extract is true, by the way; Bob certainly does not feature on the released "Zuma". )

While I'm at it: were definitive sources ever identified for the titles "Tell Tale Signs" and "Trouble No More" ? If so, I've forgotten them and would like a refresher. I can take the flak...

#

3. Somebody Naked

Somebody Naked Forum Resident

Well, Trouble No More is a Muddy Waters song, AKA Someday Baby from Modern Times; and it (the title, not the song) sounds a bit like Trouble In Mind, which was - I think - the first song recorded for the Slow Train Coming sessions. Muddy Waters recorded a song called Trouble In Mind too, as it happens. That's as far as my thinking takes me.

As titles go, I love Tell Tale Signs - because, all these years later, I still don't know why it's called that; and I get the feeling that Dylan might. Or maybe he's just having fun. Either way, I love it.

asdf35 and bonus like this.
  4. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

“Tell Tale Signs” was suggested to them by somebody who was involved in the production of the set while listening to an early sequence. They didn’t have a title to begin with. It was just something that came to that person, the idea being that you could tell that Dylan was ‘back’ or moving towards a great album or similar.

Interesting story by the way regarding the ‘Zuma’ sessions. I was unaware of that. Tapes doubtlessly exist with Neil Young but I’m unaware whether Dylan’s team know about that.

5. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

There were a couple of songs that were mastered for “Tell Tale Signs” that were on early sequences that didn’t make the final cut, by the way.

6. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Thanks for the insider info on the TTS title. I like the title a lot, but I'm kind of sad that it doesn't seem to have a similar "clever" source that "The Cutting Edge" and "More Blood, More Tracks" have (or appear to have).

Yes, it's inevitable that Neil will have it taped if it happened. If so, it should end up on the NY Archives sometime or other. $20 a year for access to it seems a snip.

7. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

Yep. My prediction from up thread is still (since Mbd77 maintained that it will be BOTT only):

Deluxe edition: 6 CD in the format we have come to know.
    Standard edition: The Alternative BOTT, one alternate take of each song plus the outtakes. 12 tracks, 1 CD/2 LPs.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  8. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Do you recall what they were? Heylin mentions a few tracks that were considered for TTS in “Still on the Road” (a Oh Mercy sessions version of “TV Talking Song” (!) comes to mind), but he doesn’t clarify if any of them made it as far as a preliminary sequence.

I also dimly recall an article (perhaps in German?) in the run up to the announcement that offered a few possible inclusions, including “Polly Vaughn” and “Rise Again” (both from the Bromberg Sessions, the latter complete with a children’s choir), though I can’t recall if it’s was determined to be credibly sourced or just speculation. Anyone have a less hazy memory on this?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    Sean Murdock, IronWaffle and asdf35 like this.
  9. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

No matter the title, this is sure to be a high water mark in the Bootleg Series canon. Future BS installments will be weighed against this one, the most excellent ones being referred to as "the best since Vol. 14: More Blood, More Tracks."

10. NewWarden

NewWarden Forum Resident

I do recall it very well, a translated review that discussed the three you mentioned along with a version of Shake Sugaree from the TOOM sessions (as well as a chronological track order).

11. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Well played, sir.

IronWaffle likes this.
  12. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

There are “Time Out Of Mind” recordings of “Shake Sugaree” and “Long Black Veil” and a few other covers. They were early in the sessions.

The T.V.Talkin’ Song was pulled from the set late in the day. It was different to the circulating versions. There was also a really nice stripped down ‘acoustic’ version of “Man In The Long Black Coat” which has been sitting on the shelf for various archive releases - I can’t remember if that was part of this originally. I don’t recall the others but could well be some of the Bromberg tracks.

That’s enough for the moment.

13. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Oh my!

“Long Black Veil” is complete news to me, wow!

There is also an apparent original recorded during the Oxnard TOOM sessions that remains unreleased: “All I Ever Loved Is You” (though it’s very plausibly a cover of the similiarly titled Stanley Brothers song “All I Ever Loved WAS You”).

IronWaffle and Sean Murdock like this.
  14. SteveFff

SteveFff Forum Mekonista

Which would really be saying something, considering how high the bar has been raised already. Who could have ever imagined we’d have complete sessions from BIABH, Highway 61, and BoB with Cutting Edge? Or the fantastic quality and near completeness of the Basements? Or the revelations to be found in (especially) Another Self Portrait and Tell Tale Signs (and going to back to the firsts of the series)? Or the wealth of approaches to the great Trouble No More material (live, unreleased, full shows, best of run)? And even the non-bootleg series bootleg series completeness of the 1966 tour? It’s my long way of saying how incredible and a fan’s dream this series has been and continues to be, by even considering what the “high water mark” has been, and as you said, could be. Who’d a ever thunk it, back in the day—even back in the bootleg days? (For me Cutting Edge and Basements are going to be hard to beat, but I know the possibility is there for plenty of contenders, as it keeps going, including this upcoming BOTT, or speculatives like some Complete Thunder or JWH.)

15. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

It’s increasingly clear we REALLY need a sequel volume to Tell Tale Signs, compiled with the far greater ambition of the more recent BS installments (though BS8 was itself an, er, Tell Tale Sign of the future direction of the series).

Such a set should include the complete Bromberg Sessions, Supper Club, UTRS early mixes/vocals, AGAIBTY & WGW outtakes, not to mention further excavations from the Oh Mercy and Time Out Of Mind sessions and whatever other period treasures they’re still hoarding (and maybe a disc or two of prime Never Ending Tour covers?).

16. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Or the crappy MP3s of the 1965 live material. Just sayin'.

17. SteveFff

SteveFff Forum Mekonista

A rare (but significant) misstep to be sure—even as a “free” bonus.

18. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

I agree. One of my greatest wishes is for some kind of standalone collectors editions for “Oh Mercy” and one for “Time Out Of Mind” - maybe a 3 or 4 disc edition for each album with a book. A DVD would be good with the ‘Time Out Of Mind’ set, especially considering they filmed a lot of the sessions.

19. tededfred

tededfred Forum Resident

I like to assume BS8 picks up and finishes out BS1-3. A sampler of sorts... With everything since they have/will fully flesh out all of the years.

20. sweetdudejim

sweetdudejim Forum Resident

So since there is no real news yet besides that possible title of the album, I'm gonna throw a question out there...

It's been discussed in passing on here, but how would you all feel if, due to the small scope of the set (just one album), Dylan and company decided to chart the live evolution of the Blood on the Tracks songs over the years? Personally I would find it fascinating and likely a great listen to hear different renditions of songs like "Tangled Up in Blue" and "Simple Twist of Fate" and "If You See Her, Say Hello" among others.

21. bem

bem Forum Resident

I would love something like this.

22. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

That makes a ton of sense.

23. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I think there is some confusion about Dylan and ZUMA. Some misquotes or out of context quotes imply that he played on it, rather than the reality that he might have contributed to the sessions but not the album takes.

matt79rome89 and HominyRhodes like this.
  24. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Just thinking out loud here - but ever since I read about the Dylan archives and the TOOM filming, I can't help but wonder why they were filmed. Was it a tentative documentary? Was it done artistically or just for reference?

Not sure if it's like a shaky handheld home-movie thing or if the studio was set-up to facilitate the filming. Will it look dramatic or will it look like security cam footage.... "The light in this place is so bad..."

HominyRhodes and IronWaffle like this.
  25. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

I don't think we're heard anything from the Love And Theft sessions, either. Surely the Bromberg sessions will get their own standalone release someday.

Not only a great listen but would provide many years of arguments about the versions chosen, and several books from the likes of Clinton Heylin about what a travesty the released set was, compared to how he would have done it.