Bob Dylan – Bootleg Series Vol. 14: More Blood, More Tracks (2 Nov 2018)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Nov 2, 2016.

1. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

Wow, Bob was writing really, really tiny there, must have had an ExtraFinePoint pen. Thanks for posting that. :thumbsup:

Percy Song and asdf35 like this.
  2. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Indeed, it almost looks like a form of spy craft...(Or maybe it was so personal he needed to hide it from prying eyes)

3. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Almost to the point that it’s invisible, with no more secrets to reveal.

Percy Song, asdf35 and HominyRhodes like this.
  4. HominyRhodes

Digging all the artwork and graphics in this thread.

Thought this might be fun to read. Paul Cable's book about Dylan's booted material was sort of a bible among collectors in the pre-internet/pre-file-sharing era. His take on much of the material, including the BOTT sessions, was hampered by a lack of accurate information, so it's full of guesswork and supposition (some of which has proven to be incorrect) but the style and attitude of his writing was always very enjoyable, and he was certainly passionate about his subject. Don't know where you are, or what you're up to now, Mr. Cable, but Thanks. :righton:

To illustrate how 'in the dark' we all were about Dylan's sessions pre-Krogsaard, Paul C. credited the backing efforts of Paul Griffin and Buddy Cage on the NY versions of "Idiot Wind" and "You're A Big Girl Now" to Eric Weissberg & Deliverance. For many years, one of the most common circulating versions of the overdubbed "Idiot Wind" from the NY acetate had an aggravating skip in it towards the end of the track, which Cable mildly ranted about; that was the version I had (from the Passed Over & Rolling Thunder 2-LP set) and I didn't get the un-skippy version until Bootleg Series 1-3 in '91, but that version was missing the infamous "spooky organ" (which was apparently overdubbed by Paul Griffin) -- at least I finally did get to hear that "struck me funny" line all the way through.

[​IMG]

5. Lars1966

Lars1966 Forum Resident

I'm hoping that they use some of Paul's artwork for Bootleg Series 14, maybe one of his variants of the photo used on the original sleeve.

6. fatherofnight

fatherofnight Senior Member

My favourite ever live version of Tangled. Remember him crouching during the solo and I started laughing cause he had found whatever it was he was searching for and the solo just took off and finished the song beautifully. He truly was magnificent in 2000.

Percy Song, Jimmy B. and stepeanut like this.
  7. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

It took me years, really YEARS to finally UNhear that skip in my mind! :winkgrin:

— David

Lars1966 and HominyRhodes like this.
  8. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

More Notebook:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

This is all that is out there:

[​IMG]

10. HominyRhodes

Three Shades of BOTT -- from red to burgundy to crimson? (Edge of my 1st copy on the left, and two copies given to me later on.)
    [​IMG]

And here's a quick, crude mock-up, if the rumors are true...??
    [​IMG]

11. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Wow! That’s a particularly fascinating peek into Dylan’s writing process for “Tangled Up In Blue.” He was considering rhyming... “helicopter” and “oxen?” “Volvo” with “Richard’s oar?”

12. slane

slane Forum Resident

Is it Tangled Up In Blue though? Apart from the reference to Delacroix, I don't see any other connection.

It seems like very random scribblings. I can make out some of it, anyone want to try transcribing it?

And the dates - October 27 & 28 - if that's 1974 then it's after the NY sessions for BOTT.

IronWaffle likes this.
  13. Dflow

Dflow Listening in the time of Dylan

Until the recent discussion in this thread I always sssumed Bob was wearing sunglasses on the album cover. Little did I know it was a concert photo that had been touched up and hand painted. Great stuff.

RJD1954, jlf and DeeThomaz like this.
  14. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Pretty sure. Early on there’s the “and everything they - p0stponed.” It’s followed up with recognizable enough versions of “he thought-she thought, “I never was impressed,” and “when it all came crashing down.” Much of the rest goes off in unfamiliar directions, but it seems like an embryonic “Tangled” to me.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    IronWaffle likes this.
  15. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

The only good thing about waiting for an official announcement is that I was forced to dig out The Cutting Edge yesterday and console myself by listening to already-released Dylan outtakes.

16. slane

slane Forum Resident

Right. But then it can't be October 1974... can it?

IronWaffle likes this.
  17. slane

slane Forum Resident

He is wearing sunglasses.

18. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Interesting point about the dates. I think he was previously believed to have started writing it in the spring of 74, but then again, he did introduce the song from the stage in 1978 as “a song it took me ten years to live and two years to write.” We know he continued to revamp the lyrics afterwards, but maybe he actually began writing it in the fall of 73?

IronWaffle and slane like this.
  19. slane

slane Forum Resident

That's what I was thinking. Though the Delacroix reference (included in the subsequent December '74 recording but not in the September version) makes it more confusing. I dunno...

DeeThomaz likes this.
  20. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

It's a head scratcher. I don't think the lyrics that are recognizable would be in such a fragmentary state if this was a post NYC sessions revamp, but the Delacroix reference (along with the fact it would fall perfectly between the NYC and MN sessions, if indeed the year is 74) seems to leave the door open to that possibility.

The October 28th lyrics are even more confusing. I don't recognize any of the lines offhand, and it seems to be an entirely unrealized/unrecorded song. Then again, I'm still working on deciphering much of the handwriting. Why does he drag the poor dogs into his domestic dispute?

It was very considerate for Dylan to date these writings. I just wish he went the extra mile to give us the year too. Surely he realized people would be obsessing on this decades later?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  21. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

Maybe the ideas that were coming in the days following the sessions made him realise he could do more/something else with the songs, rather than just the 'too personal' reason that's usually been offered? These things couldn't be worked into their own cohesive song, so just as with Tell Tale Signs having a few examples of the same thing, lines and phrases are borrowed and inserted for atmosphere.

There is definitely:

'Hook phone back up
    remember helicopter/and oxen
    Albert's birthday present -
    2 bottles of white wine, one red/ Skating lessons for the children
    hot dogs
    [?????] about Vernon [?]
    Naomi about Bob
    Go see [????] with the photograph
    [?????] about the [?????] - footpath to the barn'

I don't want to rock the boat really, but this just seems like a 'to do' list for the latter part of Oct 28th entry. The earlier part is more lyrical though.

22. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

Sod it, I can probably ignore work for a few minutes and do the lot...

'
    Oct 27th

bottle with cork / Volvo
    Richard's car / 2 miles off Delacroix [yes, I think it's 'car, not oar - zoom in to see the ends of the 'O' not join up]
    --
    He was always - she was always
    And [?????] [?????] - postponed
    He thought - she thought
    With [???three words I can't make out]
    And when it all came crashing
    The only thing I
    Gotta reach the end
    -- somehow
    ----
    Some of that [?silver?] [?welcome?], written
    on your face,-

--------------

Oct 28
    [?wether? - we/her??] ... unless he makes, he no get it
    you talk of yourself as a pathfinder
    Life in the raw, he gobbled up information
    ---
    She gave (to) me the evil eye....

Hook phone back up
    remember helicopter/and oxen
    Albert's birthday present -
    2 bottles of white wine, one red/ Skating lessons for the children
    hot dogs
    [?????] about Vernon [?]
    Naomi about Bob
    Go see [????] with the photograph
    [?????] about the [?????] - footpath to the barn
    [?????] power. Glady's [???????]'

Best I can offer and would love to hear what others have to add/change!

23. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I suspect you're onto something.

24. slane

slane Forum Resident

With objects - I never impressed.

subtr likes this.
  25. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

A first time for everything.

HominyRhodes and DeeThomaz like this.