Bob Dylan - Bootleg Series Vol. XII "The Cutting Edge"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Abbey Road, Oct 16, 2014.

1. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Listening to that new preview of "It Takes A Lot To Laugh" (Whatever take it is).

Sounds like Bob is in over his head with this band (on this take)...
    He's struggling to shout over them and keep up the pace.

I think it could have been mixed with Bob a little more on top, thankfully it isn't!

"Some of it was good, man....we'll have to listen"

2. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I'm planning on a pre-electric binge in the next few weeks. I feel like I should reacquaint myself with the early Dylan and then jump into the electric era with a clear head.

3. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

Where is it, Texas ranger? :)

4. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

5. Claudio Dirani

6. Claudio Dirani

7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The youngest winner in each category (including the youngest one, or anyone, who can perfectly memorize the lyrics to both Desolation Row and Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands) has to promise to buy the super-deluxe edition of every Bob Dylan Bootleg Series volume for the next 50 years. That is sort of a prize...having something you can commit to.

8. JohnS

JohnS Senior Member

For anyone with a collection of old Record Collector magazines, there's an excellent, and lengthy (11 pages) article about the making of Highway 61 Revisited in issue no. 381 / November 2010. (Sorry, I don't have an online version to link to)
    It features interviews with some of the musicians, including Al Kooper, and details of the sessions including descriptions of breakdowns etc, plus sidebar pieces on the stereo/mono mixes, differences in the US/UK back cover sleeve notes, cover photo shoot; you can almost regard it as a pseudo-booklet from the box set.
    It's a welcome way to whet your appetite while waiting for the main course to arrive in November....

superstar19 and DeeThomaz like this.
  9. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

All 3 tracks that have been previewed so far are available to download on iTunes. Barbed wire fence was released this morning.

10. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

My favourite way of 'preparing' for a new Bootleg Series release - and what I'll begin soon for this one - is to listen to all the previous releases in the series, in order.

This'll be the first time, obviously, such a programme has included the six discs of The Basement Tapes. (Next time it will also include the six discs of The Cutting Edge.) Still, a walk in the park compared to a similar project in the lead-up to Tempest's release...

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

How about preparing for the new box by listening to every episode of Bob Dylan's Theme Time Radio Hour

jsb! likes this.
  12. Claudio Dirani

Got them all from iTunes. Thanks

swedgin likes this.
  13. Claudio Dirani

Love that. Any chance of digital pics? Thanks

George P likes this.
  14. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

There's also Legendary Sessions: Bob Dylan: Highway 61 Revisited by Colin Irwin (Billboard Books, 2008). One of those rare books with two colons in the title.

majorlance and Williamson like this.
  15. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

So far 4 preview tracks have been released, with 2 takes of "It Takes A Lot...". Here are links:

It Takes a Lot to Laugh It Takes a Train to Cry - Take 1:

It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry Take 8: http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=446322040&m=446349993

Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again - Take 13: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WS-TTNaLyg

Sitting On a Barbed Wire Fence - Take 2 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzn20blbQg

16. domcasmurro

domcasmurro Active Member

Thanks for this, I hadn't seen take 1 of It Takes a Lot... and Stuck Inside... before.

This release might end up being more interesting than I thought...

17. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Love this one!

Great to hear something that actually sounds like an album version,
    and not just an awkward early version or studio run-through.

Bob's got that layer of Nashville in his voice. A few lyric flubs, but so does the album..
    I like this a lot more than the other takes I've heard (but not more than the album).

"Oh, Mama, I just need a friend, stuck inside of Mobile.."

DmitriKaramazov and crispi like this.
  18. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

I don't feel the need to do a great deal of preparation in advance of the BS12 release, but I did visit the exhibition of Ted Russell's Dylan photographs, which opened today at the Richard Goodall Gallery in Manchester, UK:

http://www.richardgoodallgallery.com/contemporaryart/ted-russell-m-63.html

Worth a look, if you're in town.

Prints start at £950, but a signed copy of Russell's book is available at a much more affordable £25.

Mazzy, JohnS and Lars1966 like this.
  19. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

I know this does Not count -
    But I'm spending $ from my youngest daughter's college fund account to pay for the monster set.
    Hopefully she'll be glad in 18 years that she paid for it.

bluesbro, Joey_Corleone and beneta like this.
  20. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

She won't have to go to college, cuz you bought the book of knowledge.

21. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Now I've got some faith in the future (no, not really, but it's nice to see there are teenagers interested in Dylan anyway).

22. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Between the 18cd behemoth, the Fabs' BR video box AND the new Neil Young 4lp box, this is a sweet November coming up!

23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Yes, I suggest not listening to any Dylan from before 1989 before you receive this set. Make it a totally fresh experience.

Maybe listen to some of Bob's influences - Buddy Holly, Hank Williams, Woody, the Folkways collection of 1920's-30's roots music, etc

24. Claudio Dirani

hard to, no to say that's almost impossible

25. Claudio Dirani