Bob Dylan - Bootleg Series Vol. XII "The Cutting Edge"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Abbey Road, Oct 16, 2014.

1. joannenugent

joannenugent Forum Resident

I posted my sha/md5 hash earlier in this thread....lets see if I can find it.

2. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

Oh wait...I already changed the filenames and tags. ****.

3. joannenugent

It is ok you can edit the st5 file using any text replace command in any text editor.

4. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

You're correct of course. I don't have either the 2 or 6 disc versions, and I was working from someone else's (faulty) notes.

Archtop likes this.
  5. joannenugent

According to their posted System Requirements For Digital Downloads Page:

"What are the system requirements for enjoying product downloads?

Windows:
    Windows 98SE, 2000, ME, XP, Vista
    128 MB RAM
    10 GB Hard Drive (a larger hard drive is optimal) Pentium III 750MHz or faster (or equivalent)
    Cable Modem or DSL
    Internet Explorer 5.5 or Mozilla Firefox and Safari Quicktime 7.1 or later to access MP4 Video Downloads Java 1.4 or Higher "

http://musictoday.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32

It might help to remind them of this fact.....the Download Manager is nothing but sloppy coding on their part. I regularly download 100 GB files from my work network at home and torrent files that are several hundred GB large work fine. There is no excuse why they should be having this problem with a 20GB download. Like you said it is all about their security procedures which are sloppily implemented in their software.

Heart of Gold likes this.
  6. Jbeck57143

Jbeck57143 Forum Resident

If someone has created FLAC fingerprints for the 24/96 FLACs, you can create FLAC fingerprints for your 24/96 FLACs and see if they match. FLAC fingerprints stay the same even if the tags are changed/removed.

Joey_Corleone likes this.
  7. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

I had to do some homework on modern day taping hashing practices as it had been quite a while for me. Joannenugent provided an .st5 file containing the hashes of all the wavs, so with a little reading I was able to verify all the hashes against my 24/96 FLACs with success! Thanks everybody. A little frustration, a little scripting, reading and homework and I have everything sorted, tagged, and hash verified. Thanks to you all for the help. That MP3Tag program is killer!

bubba-ho-tep and joannenugent like this.
  8. joannenugent

Yup, and a hash from a st5 -shntool - file, is identical to a FLAC fingerpint, which is identical to an md5 hash of the uncompressed audio portion only. Basically as long as you are not using a raw md5 hash, checking the actual audio should be independent of any naming, metadata editing, flac compression level etc.

9. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

No worries, Ray. I'm trying to make a disc by disc comparison to justify getting the 18-CD set. So far, I don't have a valid rationale. I love this period, but what I'm seeing is that the 6-CD set was well chosen. I don't think I need the 18-CD set, although the unknown surprise has me wondering...

JimC, POGunter and highway like this.
  10. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

It is also on the Japanese 2CD compilation Dylan Ga Rock, along with a couple of other rare tracks.

N.B. You will find the 2010 commercial release much easier to track down than the 1993 promo, which is one of Dylan's most expensive CD collectibles.

11. voles

voles Forum Lurker

Ok whats the Sinatra part of the tsunami snd is there a thread for it?

12. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

:O how dare you! I'd just like to hear them, help you out, and then remove them from my system! ;)

Sean Murdock and voles like this.
  13. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I got to listen to 4th Time Around, Visions of Johanna, Leopard Skin Pill Box Hat, and I'll Keep It With Mine last night.

4th Time Around was an interesting listen. Dylan and the Nashville boys clearly had the arrangement down before take 1 rolled, but it was still a fun journey hearing them actually work to cut it. And to hear the "harmonium" "bass harmonica". I mean, we don't know FOR SURE what instrument McCoy was playing. But it sounds, during some in between bits, like a keyed instrument, and perhaps it is as someone here suggested actually a farfisa. Either way, it's a shame the master take doesn't exist with it.

Visions Of Johanna doesn't present much, aside from a remix of the master.

I thought this was gonna be THE session for Leopard Skin Pill Box Hat, but no, looking ahead I see the master was cut later, in 1 take! This is the "knock knock" version. It's a hilarious gimmick! I loved the earliest takes when they we're going super fast, although Dylan put the kibosh on that right away. Dylan refers to the song as "simple," I believe, and I think implicitly, he wanted to move away from this arrangement, fun though it is.

I'll Keep It With Mine was a good listen. Though I wish I knew the exact cues for the vocals!

That's all for now. I just came home, after "breaking" two years sobriety (I feel like a born again virgin!) Frankly, I'm surprised I can even be coherent enough for a review, but words just pouring out at the moment, so I'm off to write some lyrics quick before bed!

But quick, I must add that going to Nashville CLEARLY changed the pace. We're almost back to to Highway 61 Revisited level efficiency!

Yes, the musicians made a big difference. Getting some dyed-in-the-wool studio musicians kept the session running in a progressive form.

highway likes this.
  14. Gepetto

Gepetto Forum Resident

Sorry if this has already been discussed here before but, unfortunately I was not able to download the files (Download Manager did not open, maybe some incompatibility between Windows XP, Google Chrome and Panda Security firewall) so I've ripped the 18 CDs via dbpowerAmp and, except for 4 CDs (2,5,8,14) they are all tagged with CO numbers.

01 Love Minus Zero - No Limit (CO 85270 - take 1 - breakdown)
    02 Love Minus Zero - No Limit (CO 85270 - take 2 - complete)

Quite handy.

15. mickdoby

mickdoby Forum Resident

Nothing to worry about, I think. The difference in GB size is due to whether binary KB (1024) or "normal KB" (1000)
    are used for the size calculation.

Sean Murdock likes this.
  16. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

I'm sure you're aware, but a number of the tracks on the vinyl 45s are unique mixes/edits and really can't be compared against the mono box (since they're not on the mono box). They really can only be compared against the original vinyl...

Sean Murdock likes this.
  17. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Yep, I show these as 23.37 on my Mac as well.

Sean Murdock likes this.
  18. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

The full band with electric piano desolation Row is great - another favorite of mine is the solo piano breakdown attempted right after the "psychedelic" version. Wish he'd made it through the whole song with that take!

Thelonious_Cube, Rne and DeeThomaz like this.
  19. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Having auditioned "only" the two-disc set, I can state thay Dylan chose the correct takes as masters, IMO. There are interesting takes, but so far nothing screams "Why didn't they use this one?" as happened on previous BOOTLEG SERIES sets.

20. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

voles likes this.
  21. hollowhorn

hollowhorn In Memoriam In Memoriam

22. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

23. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

865 Collector's Edition boxes remaining as of 1:47 pm EST.

And a Happy Thanksgiving to all USA forum members.

24. mickdoby

mickdoby Forum Resident

yes, it should, see
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilobyte
    - Mac OS using 1000 byte kilobytes instead of 1024 byte kilobytes,
    a bit mathematical, I know ;)

25. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

:righton: Bob Gregg, yup.

Thelonious_Cube likes this.