Bob Dylan - Bootleg Series Vol. XII "The Cutting Edge"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Abbey Road, Oct 16, 2014.

1. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

It should have finished downloading by now though.

2. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

3. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

4. George P

George P Notable Member

5. Dflow

Dflow Listening in the time of Dylan

There is a lot of great venue/performance research being shared over in the 1966 Live thread. In fact a really awesome job by @notesfrom detailing historical background on the venues Bob played as well as photos from the shows themselves. Purchasers of the new box are going to be receiving some great photos from Pennebaker for each show as well. If that wasn't the case I would be using the venue photos and/or Bob photos as the cover art for each show. Curious to know if any members here created or found photos to use as cover art for the live 1965 shows purchasers of the 18 wheeler Bootleg Series 12 received. I would love to "borrow" the work if it is out there.

6. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

7. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

8. joannenugent

joannenugent Forum Resident

Hey confradulations! I bet that was a pleasent surprise!

9. George P

George P Notable Member

10. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

11. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I always thought he said "speed built a fire..."

sinfony likes this.
  12. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

13. Eduardo Denaro

Eduardo Denaro Forum Resident

Well ain't that the best news I've read all day!

HominyRhodes likes this.
  14. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Isis magazine has been running a series of excellent articles on the 18cd Cutting Edge by Roger Ford. I have been reading about the February sessions and needless to say have more questions than before. Anyone able to work out what instruments are on the Fourth Time Around finished master on BOB including the overdubbed drum track?
    Bob plays a steel stringed acoustic, Joe South bass, 2 Spanish guitars, drums by Kenny Buttrey (overdubbed later) and no organ or bass harmonica (which Roger states was not played on this track).
    The mystery of BOB grows the more information and recordings become available!

IronWaffle and DeeThomaz like this.
  15. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I don't have that answer. But I have been meaning to post about Roger Ford's articles. Basically, he provided far better liner notes for The Cutting Edge than the ones that were officially provided.

16. Catbirdman

Catbirdman Forum Resident

Are Roger Ford's articles available online anywhere? Links?

I did try to google this and the closest I could find was a reference to said articles being available in Isis magazine (Dylan Digest: Archive | Bob Dylan ISIS Magazine »).

Hmm.

Maybe the time has come for me to consider subscribing to Isis, and possibly getting a back issue or two...

HominyRhodes likes this.
  17. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Would like to be another to request a link to this. Would love to read!

DeeThomaz likes this.
  18. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

His site has been down for a few weeks. But he said he'd add these articles when he found a new host.

Catbirdman and IronWaffle like this.
  19. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Great news, thanks.

20. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

I'm still doing deep and detailed research into the Blonde on Blonde sessions, and I would certainly love to read Roger's expert analysis of the revelatory Cutting Edge material. Why doesn't HE publish a book?? I would buy it in an instant.
    I'm thinking the same thing.

DmitriKaramazov and DeeThomaz like this.
  21. ralphk

ralphk Ain’t gonna work on Maggie’s farm no more

Archived before his site shut down:

First, this site will be off the air for some time as my ISP, Virgin Media, is kindly withdrawing their webspace facility from all customers on 28 April 2016. The site in any case really needs to be moved to a platform more up-to-date than FrontPage. The web address will inevitably change and has yet to be determined, but I'm sure it won't be hard to find.

Second, last year's release of The Cutting Edge Collector's Edition needs to be assimilated into the site, and this will take some time.I am first writing a series of articles for the Dylan fanzine ISIS, giving a detailed commentary on the studio recordings contained in The Cutting Edge; the first two of these, covering the sessions for Bringing It All Back Home and Highway 61 Revisited, have already been published in print. When this site comes back up the articles will be available here.

22. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Badlands »
    Bob Dylan ISIS Magazine | The Home of Bob Dylan – ISIS Magazine »

Hopefully the above links work where back copies of Isis can be ordered. The Roger Ford articles start in Isis 184 and we are now up to the Feb 1966 sessions in Nashville in the current Isis 188. The final instalment on the March sessions will be in the next issue 189.
    Both Badlands UK and Isis itself are great reliable sellers with quick delivery. The articles are well worth buying for their content and you get some great other Dylan photos and articles as well. The current issue 188 has a really good article looking at Bob's involvement with the Grateful Dead.

elvismcdouglas and Catbirdman like this.
  23. Adam Schellin

Adam Schellin Forum Resident

I did not get the download to work....is there anyone who can share with me?

24. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I've thought the same thing. A collection of his Cutting Edge articles (apparently 6 of them) combined with his extensive analysis of the 65/66 mixes could certain constitute a worthwhile reference volume. If so, he should also throw in his review of the Mono Recordings box (and accompanying interview of the folks who created it). It would instantly be an essential book.

But if that happens, it will be a long time from now. You should definitely catch up with the articles. And beware, issue #185 is already sold out at the ISIS website. Badlands still has it (the last time I looked) but I suspect that's a temporary condition.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  25. Tom Thumbs Booze

Tom Thumbs Booze Forum Resident

And here I sit so patiently
    Waiting to find out what price
    You have to pay for Sheffield '66
    Without buying 'Cutting Edge' twice
    Oh Mama can this really be the end
    To be stuck inside of Berkeley
    Waiting to hear 'Tom Thumb's Blues' again !

Thankfully this was not the case.