Bob Dylan - Bootleg Series Vol. XII "The Cutting Edge"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Abbey Road, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I would assume he's referring to both, moreso the 18-cd set, but both are spectacular.

I don't think either scenario is likely.

A 1965 Live box-set on hard media is sorely missing and much needed. The download with gaps and fade-outs in degraded mp3's didn't begin to address the quality of the music, and it was only available for a brief time. It's disappeared from the marketplace now. There are more discoveries to be made and surprises to had in the 1965 peformances than one can possibly imagine.

Such a release on hard media would round out The Cutting Edge and Live 1966.

bobcat likes this.
  2. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I doubt either scenario. There haven't been any expanded editions in the past. The Bootleg Series has been used for outtakes. I don't see much market for an additional release of Cutting Edge outtakes.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. George P

George P Notable Member

I don't think either scenario will happen.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

In about 10 years or so they might re-strategize and release expanded albums. I see some of the best Cutting Edge tracks being re-released on these expanded collections and they would still be welcome as most Dy;an fans don't have them. Recall that at some point, they were considering expanded versions of albums (90s I think) so this could happen.

5. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I bought both the 6-CD and 18-CD boxes because I'm stupid like that.

moonshiner and Richard--W like this.
  6. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

The 6CD set. Really curious to hear the full set, but it's not to be.

I think one reason why it is such a rewarding set is to do with changed expectations--we are more forgiving when listening to recordings that were shelved. But, it's much more than that. As many have said, each draft of a song has its own rewards--they're so different, either overtly or subtly--and then having these phantom versions, snowballing one after another, makes for an experience more than the sum of its parts.

Then there's the different aural textures. BoB sounds so luxurious and decadent. Particularly Temporary Like Achilles.

But for me, one thing that comes across more than on the official releases is the sheer joy, ecstasy, good humor--I think we/I tend to take Bob a little too seriously at times.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. George P

George P Notable Member

I think the 6CD set is near perfect. I compiled the essential stuff (minus the hotel tapes) from the full set that was left off the 6CD set and was able to fit onto one CD-R. And even then, there is some stuff that isn't really essential IMO.

Matthew Tate and streetlegal like this.
  8. Richard--W

You've got to get the standard 2-disc set as well. It's an absolute must, I assure you.

Archtop and jeffrey walsh like this.
  9. Tom Thumbs Booze

Tom Thumbs Booze Forum Resident

I remember wondering about that but must have assumed he was singing ''Sad, should I leave them at your gate'' i.e. describing the situation. On further listening he does indeed sing ''Sara'' very quickly at the start of the line.

Archtop likes this.
  10. Richard--W

Somewhere in the back pages of this thread, lowgen evaluated the Live 1965 download. It's not coming up on a search. Did anyone bookmark his post(s)?

11. Scott6

Scott6 Forum Resident

He made up for it by playing it at the piano in his recent shows I reckon :)

12. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

Can't see it here, but there is this on expectingrain, if that's any help? I think you're a member there already, so sorry if I'm telling you stuff you already know!

Expecting Rain • View topic - 50year65 - 1965 Collection Summary

Richard--W likes this.
  13. Richard--W

By now, a year and a half later, everyone has had time to get know the 1965 concerts from Sony / Columbia's mp3 download that came with the Limited Edition 18- disc THE CUTTING EDGE. Share your thoughts on the tour. Please participate in the poll:

Bob Dylan -- Live 1965 - U.K. tour poll

14. Richard--W

Manchester '65 is currently winning but the BBC broadcast is closing the distance:

Bob Dylan -- Live 1965 - U.K. tour poll

Sometimes the best performance is not in the best sound quality.
    And sometimes it is ....

15. Richard--W

DeeThomaz likes this.
  16. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

Surely, we can't both be stupid?

Archtop likes this.
  17. bigskyaudio

bigskyaudio Forum Resident

Way back on page 154, there were comments about the song "4th Time Around" in its original 1966 stereo vinyl mix with harmonium (or organ) combined on the drum track. Does anyone happen to know if this stereo version has ever been on a CD of any kind? Please feel free to message me. Thanks in advance. Rick

18. Finally got through all 18 discs...took a very long time, but so totally rewarding. Question (and forgive me for missing the real action of this thread): Upon listening to the early versions of "Vision of Johanna", I was surprised to not hear Dylan call the song "Freeze Out" out any of the tapes. I love Blonde on Blonde and Sean Wilentz's account of its recording is a favorite of mine. According to Wilentz, Dylan announced the new composition with the words: "This is called 'Freeze Out" in the studio on November 30, 1965. I didn't hear it though on The Cutting Edge takes. Did I miss it?

19. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Despite what the set claims, it's not exactly every last recorded second. So, there are little moments, some of which have been documented, that were excised. In fact, even some audio that we have available to us, from bootlegs and even some take announcements and chatter used on the Cutting Edge website, are not actually in the set. I compiled a set (a bit tongue in cheek at times!) of all the "missing material" that could be found. @subtr upgraded it, so perhaps message him about it. Perhaps the most important thing is the instrumental of I'll Keep It With Mine but with an overdubbed harmonica. Is it played by Bob? Maybe, maybe not. You'll find some missing CO slate calls, but still no Dylan calling out "Freeze out"

subtr likes this.
  20. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

Drop me a PM if you're interested. I took the original, found the same material from lossless sources and a few more additional snippets that were still missing.

Thanks for the heads-up, @revolution_vanderbilt - couldn't have done it without your work!

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  21. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

I have been keeping up but it's hard to remember what's been said in a 564-page thread so apologies if this has been asked (and answered) already:

What is the view on the 2CD set?

Did they choose wisely for such an option are there glaring omissions?

22. Richard--W

The 18-CD set is where the action is. It's comforting to have the 6-CD box-set and 2-CD set still in their shrinkwrap. I take no notice of the contents. I like how the spine of the 6-CD box looks on the shelf in its place with the rest of The Bootleg Series.

I wanted to buy a back-up copy of the 18-CD big blue box to keep sealed in the closet, but it was too damn expensive.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  23. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson Forum Resident

Here's a trick question: do you want to a hear a full disk of "Like A Rolling Stone" outtakes? Because the six CD set has that, and the 2 CD doesn't.

But if the answer is "yes", then there's no way that six disks of these sessions is enough. :laugh:

I get that for some people the answer is no, all I want is the released albums and songs, period. In which case, skip 'em all. I don't think there's any point even in the 2-disk version. If you're curious at all, though, I'm with Richard. You need it all. In for a penny, in for 15.8 pounds (which is how much Big Blue weighs).

BTW, in retrospect, with the Live '66 box behind us, this doesn't seem nearly as monumental an undertaking as it felt at the time. 18 disks? That all ya got? :laugh: And so many different songs! :laugh:

24. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I agree. I bought the 6 disc set and don't find it very compelling. The story is in the process, and isolated outtakes don't really tell it. The full LARS disc is by far the best of the 6 cd box.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  25. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

A whole disc of LARS outtakes gets a bit boring after a while.

I listened to it today and it was like doing homework.

But I did like the last track, the stem of the organ.