Bob Dylan - Bootleg Series Vol. XII "The Cutting Edge"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Abbey Road, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

You know the answer to that one.

Willie McTell likes this.
  2. I got Donovan. :tiphat:

3. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

I got the 6 cd set of Cutting Edge downloaded on my cellphone. Great material I become immersed in. Spin it every now and than also spin the vinyl 3 lp box of Edge as well.

IronWaffle likes this.
  4. George P

George P Notable Member

I read that fast and thought you said that you have The Cutting Edge 6 CD box in your cell.

5. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Downloaded of course. :laugh:

George P likes this.
  6. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

All the Dylan stuff that seems too much, toss it in a box, send it over, and I'll disseminate it to the poor who can't get any.

mpayan and Willie McTell like this.
  7. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

No windows but at least there’s Dylan ;)

NumberEight and George P like this.
  8. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

I got Bob Neuwirth.

HominyRhodes and Blue Note like this.
  9. Richard--W

If anyone wants to pick up a few dollars I buy the film cells from The Cutting Edge, providing that Dylan is in them.

That wasn't very nice of Sony to unload images of Bob Neuwirth on a paying customer who's expecting Dylan.

10. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Neuwirth grew up to become a great guy.

Richard--W likes this.
  11. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

I got Alan Price. :cheers:

aoxomoxoa and Blue Note like this.
  12. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

It was noted somewhere upthread that the big fear was to get a film clip with Albert Grossman’s ass.

Blue Note and HominyRhodes like this.
  13. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Aww, thats too bad.

14. Richard--W

Yeah, really. They'd probably sell a lot of reproductions. There are some articles about it linked in the backpages of this thread or is it in the Live 1966 Concerts thread. I should have bookmarked them. The sight of Dylan looking like that must have rattled the folk community.

The photo was taken by the late Jerry Schatzberg, then a photographer, later a film director who was active at the AFI although you only got to meet him at the graduate level. He was also a head honcho at the Director's Guild by which time he had stopped directing. He was best known for The Panic In Needle Park (1971), Scarecrow (1973), The Seduction of Joe Tynan (1979), Honeysuckle Rose (1980) and Street Smart (1987) among others.

I former friend of mine named Marty Katz has a professionally printed enlargement of Dylan's Desire photo. Actually it's a slightly different angle with more top and bottom, similar to the songbook's cover, but it's in the sequence of frames on the negative roll . I forget how he got it, but it's a terrific image to see on his wall. I've always wanted one just like it. Alternatively, I've been looking for the perfect shot of Dylan on stage in 1974 playing the acoustic guitar. But this is my favorite shot of Dylan, at Newport 1965:

[​IMG]

He looks so different from everybody watching him.

[​IMG]

15. Put it this way, I haven’t read every book in the library but it’s nice to know it’s there. I normally don’t go in for these huge box sets but I was in for this one because I knew I’d keep coming back to it. It is pretty amazing to listen to the process that gave birth to these albums as it unfolded. Plus, you know, the leopard-skin spindle.

16. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Everyone else just looks so square, man.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  17. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

You are asking a group of people who have recordings of about 3,000 Dylan concerts. But not only 3,000 concerts, but recordings of a great number of those concerts by as many as six different tapers. Their spouses, if they are aware of this fact (or still around), have stopped asking that question because they know Dylan is still touring.

Your question, however, is not a stupid question.

Dylan put it another way in one of his songs:

"Are birds free from the chains of the sky ways?"

18. Dylan's quote should have been printed on the side of the Big Blue box.

I would love to get into all of those boots but between the official catalog and Bootleg Series I've been kept busy. It's been nice to spend time with albums and Bootleg Series tracks and at this point there's quite a bit there before the next level of thousands of boots.

But yes, I hear you, and I'm definitely quite happy that I have the 6-disc Cutting Edge on the shelf ready for the right moment. There's a lot of joy just knowing it's there awaiting.

I would have loved Big Blue and my wife would have supported me had I chose to buy it but like many it simply came down to the fact that I just couldn't justify it financially. God knows I would love to own it though.

I felt Dylan's lable pushed it a bit too; knowing fan's would want to own it but putting them in a tough position and making it limited. Anyway, that's the same old discussion that's been done to death at this point.

I want 3,000 Dylan concerts on shelves all housed in duel case boxes with picture books and liner notes.

1ifbyrain2ifbytrain likes this.
  19. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

That was me, and that was what I got. I returned it only to get the disclaimer that the film was purely fictional. It was deleted from the DVD edition.

20. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

Still has not listened to CDs 5 and 6 of the Trouble No More boxset.
    Listened to the Toronto's show maybe two times. Terrific. But...
    Maybe I should quit my job for religious reasons. Can I feed my kids with spoons of just Bob's music?

21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

You definitely do not NEED 3,000 concerts, but there are a handful, no a box full, of concert recordings that are as essential as his official catalog. If you got your hands on digital copies of the series of concerts put out by the Crystal Cat label, and a few other labels, you would be very pleased.

Lewisboogie and Willie McTell like this.
  22. dylan1974

dylan1974 Forum Resident

Man, you’ve nailed it!

Richard--W likes this.
  23. Great photos. I assume this is his performance of 'Mr Tambourine Man' at Newport which is on film and is Dylan at this transcendental best (to paraphrase Jack Nicholson.)

Richard--W and Willie McTell like this.
  24. Richard--W

Yes, I believe so. Here's a gif closer to the film's camera angle:

[​IMG]

A worried-looking Pete Seeger is seated at right, but who's the gentleman with the guitar seated at left? is that Earl Scruggs?

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  25. Do you know of anywhere where I would find a list of essential shows? I may have seen one before on ER but I don't really go on there much anymore.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated. I have the Supper Club shows which I love.

On another note, I saw the Live 62-66 from the Copyright Collections. Held off because I'm wondering if I should go for the Japanese version instead.

So much Bob.