Bob Dylan: Complete Album Collection (pt3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Nov 11, 2013.

1. MilesSmiles

MilesSmiles Oenologist Thread Starter

2. ymenard

ymenard Forum Resident

Shame it's only a remaster and not a remix, we're still stuck with the high frequency rattle on the live "Hard Rain" album.

3. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

i just can't get enough of this box.i've been playing the so called lesser lights like knocked out loaded,dylan73,pat garret and having a blast.real live in another great one with highway 61 hitting like a train.a+

4. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Ah, that is helpful. Simply deleting those flat bits in an audio editor makes the glitches almost inaudible.

Tim

5. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

So we have 1 maybe 2 glitches on 47 CDs?

That's not that bad!

6. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

2 glitches on the same song, too. I'll take it.

7. Matt Ellers

Matt Ellers Senior Member

Mine arrived 2day, thrilled to have this.

8. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Senior Member

Amazon jacked up the price to $208.66 in the US.

9. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Whatever happened to quality control?

10. Joe Z

Joe Z Forum Resident

Is there a confirmation anywhere that the affected titles in question (Self Portrait and Hard Rain) are going to be sold as stand-alone buys in their remastered formats?

Although not ideal to purchase these titles yet again, I'd almost rather go that route than weave through customer service departments that may or may not come through . . .

11. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

There is no reason to think they will...the Johnny Cash 'complete' collection was never broken up to be sold on an album by album basis.

12. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

total still only $150 USD shipped to US from amazon.ca

Clanceman likes this.
  13. Themigou

Themigou Forum Resident

I've always liked Real Live. Most of it consists of recordings from Wembley 1984 - my first Dylan concert. I was 13 and had been buying / borrowing the albums for a couple of years. I remember he seemed very small, and the voice didn't sound like the records, not even Infidels, the latest one. I still loved it though. Also, I hadn't got around to getting Blood On The Tracks, so the Real Live TUIB was the first version I heard - in every sense. I still like the album, although I have to say I think it's only really the bookends on each side that have any real power. I bet there's a potential Bootleg Series box in the 1984 vaults.

14. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

As mentioned in the previous thread, there is what sounds like a dropout towards the end of "Oh Sister" on Hard Rain. I don't think it's a digital glitch. I also listened closely for the reported glitch at 8 seconds and didn't hear anything. If it's there, it's minor enough to not affect my listening experience in any way.

15. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

I've been reading this thread for days, and have been tempted to buy this. I only own Bob Dylan Greatest Hits, on vinyl.

Since I've been reading here, I've been playing Dylan on Rhapsody through my DAC on my home system quite a bit. With Rhapsody having the entire catalog, I thought that would suffice.

At this price, I couldn't pass up this chance to have the physical copies of all his work.
    Thanks for the post.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  16. Chris Haley

Chris Haley Music Lover Lurker

Well I tried those two numbers for Sony and the best I could do was leave a voice-mail at Columbia Records (there was nothing else I could do at that point).

Sony USA 212-833-8000 worked and that's what led me to the vmail for Columbia. The number for electronics support is 1-888-222-SONY (7669) didn't help one bit.

17. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Charging extra for the glitches??

:disgust:

18. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

heh heh

no I was just channelling some rage from Dylan Thomas.........

I didn't buy this set, yet, but I did buy some of the Hard Rain live tracks from Itunes.

Have to say, the discussion about glitches and scratched discs is PAINFUL even if I didn't buy it. "I feel your pain...."

19. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

It's really not that bad. None of the discs have scratches...some have light marks. As for the glitches it's one song on one album and many people have said its no biggie Not downplaying the lack of quality control but overall this set is pretty damn good.

20. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

Agreed the set is great - I didn't expect anything other than all the albums, Side Tracks fills no gaps, but is a fine addition. The Hard Rain glitch only strikes me as unacceptable (which it is) because if it was an individual album release only I'd like to think someone would have listened to a pressing of it or the master before it went on release, and because Another Self Portrait already had a glitch so you'd think they'd be extra careful with new releases....

Kristi and Chris Haley like this.
  21. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

In the last thread I mentioned I had sent an email to a person who assisted with the Aretha Franklin disc exchange. My question was can we get replacement copies of the single disc?

I received a reply this morning.

Short but sweet, they replaced the Franklin disc without the need to send the other in. I bet this will be the same.

Chris Haley likes this.
  22. racingman11

racingman11 Forum Resident

It amazes me reading people already talking about replacement Disc... I mean, i hear nothing at 0:08, and a small click at 3:53, but nothing quite as the Copper Kettle issue where a fraction of second was CLEARLY missing. Am I the only one seing nothing of a glitch around here ?

PaulFJ likes this.
  23. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

Oh, god, I hope you're right and that us foreigners are included...
    Couldn't they do that for the glitchy Self-Portrait? I still have my defective copy... Importcds doesn't care.

Annoying and depressing business... Everything seems futile...

24. Agent 34

Agent 34 Forum Resident

There's a glitch at 0:15 of The Ballad of Frankie Lee and Judas Priest from John Wesley Harding.

Has it always been there? Having listened on Spotify and to a couple of YouTube videos, it would appear so but it seems to be accentuated here.

25. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I would wager they would do it for Self Portrait as well. Did you send an inquiry to Legacy?