Bob Dylan: Complete Album Collection (pt3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Nov 11, 2013.

1. joannenugent

joannenugent Forum Resident

Yes, Side Tracks was also included with this set as a Mini LP that perfectly matched the record store day LP issue. You can purchase the Side Tracks Mini LP from CDJapan:

Side Tracks [Cardboard Sleeve (mini LP)] [Limited Release] [Blu-spec CD2] Bob Dylan CD Album

subtr likes this.
  2. joannenugent

Getting all the information with the language barrier can be a bit tricky, indeed! I get pretty much all of my information from CD Japan, or occasionally using google translate on the main label's website (Sony Japan, Universal Japan, Warner Japan, etc.)

But let me clarify how this was released. In 2014, 4 waves of Dylan were released in Japan, with each wave roughly corresponding to a decade (90s-00s was released in one wave). Unlike in the US or EU, where the set was released as a single box set, the albums were released individually in Japan and were available from CD Japan, Amazon Japan, etc. Inside each Bob Dylan Mini LP was also included a redemption coupon and if you purchased an entire set for any particular wave, you could mail the collected coupons into Sony Japan, and they would mail you a Box for that decades set.

I purchased all of these titles from CDJapan and then redeemed the included coupons for the boxes from Sony Japan. As far as I can tell, most of these titles are still in stock at CDJapan, if there are any albums you are particularly found of and would like to upgrade. Unfortunately, the coupons for the promotional box have now expired though. So if you purchase a collection of them and would like a box, your best bet is eBay. There are quite a few sellers selling the Sony Dylan boxes on eBay, although prices can be steep, since not very many boxes were produced. Note that Disc Union in Japan also produced a set of promotional boxes for each decade/wave, so there are quite a few Dylan boxes to choose from now on the secondary market!

Note that the mastering is the same as the US release, so when I say upgrade I am strictly referring to the packaging. haha, I should also provide a warning that these Japanese Mini LPs can be slightly addictive if you get used to them:)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    DeeThomaz, Richard--W and Clanceman like this.
  3. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

joannenugent,
    okay, the mastering of the Japan set is the same as the US release. I get that. But the Japanese CD's can be purchased separately, right? whereas the US editions of this mastering cannot.

4. Richard--W

Please look at this mini LP cover, Japan edition.
    Might this be the same mastering and edition as in The Complete Albums Box:

[​IMG]

5. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

6. joannenugent

Exactly, the Japanese releases are a great way to get titles such at Street Legal, Dylan 1973, Side Tracks, etc. that are hard to come by outside of purchasing the full US box!

From the catalogue number on the picture (MHCP 379), that would be an older pressing with the ~2003 remixed/remaster. The catalogue number you want is SICP-30497 (which has the new original mix/remastering from the Complete Albums box set) and it is available from

CDJapan:
    Street Legal [Cardboard Sleeve (mini LP)] [Blu-spec CD2] [Limited Pressing] Bob Dylan CD Album

various sellers on ebay such as this one:
    2014 NEW VERSION BOB DYLAN STREET LEGAL JAPAN MINI LP Blu-spec CD 2 | eBay

as well as places like Amazon Japan or maybe even Import CDs.

Richard--W likes this.
  7. joannenugent

Oh dear, I just noticed that ebay seller I referenced for you states that SICP-30497 is a 2003 remaster in the description. The seller has their information wrong. From Sony's website for SICP-30497, they state "2013 latest remaster (using the latest master used in The Complete Album Collection)".

I have the original 1980s US CD release, 2003 US CD release, and this 2014 Japan Mini LP (SICP-30497) for Street-Legal and can absolutely assure you the 2014 Mini LP is the original mix and the same mastering as the US Complete Albums Box Set.

Richard--W likes this.
  8. Richard--W

That's just where I was going.
    Neatly researched and reasoned out, joannenugent, thank you.

9. joannenugent

Glad to be of some help!

10. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

I love the remastering done in Street Legal. "Changing of the Guard" particularly, but I am not comparing it to the original Vinyl release, only the early CD. Some portions sounded muddled.

11. Richard--W

Regarding The Complete Albums Collection, the outer box is sturdy and looks good, but the CD album covers are so flimsy I wonder if it isn't a pirate. Does every one have flimsy album covers and plenty of room in the box? No gatefolds, no pictorial inner sleeves, no liner notes, just a plastic protector sleeve with rounded corners. And the book, of course. But the flimsy cardboard and pale cover art are a little too cheap, Sony.

12. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

Where did it come from? I got a dodgy number from Hong Kong which is more or less as you described

13. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Yeah, anything from Russia or Hong Kong box set wise is dubious, unfortunately.

The sleeves are on par with Sony’s other sets. Not the flimsiest, but definitely not Japan quality, not even close.

14. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

It's a fake, Richard. The real thing has gatefold card sleeves for Blonde, Self Portrait, Flood, Basement, Budokan and Side Tracks. On the gatefolds the CDs are accessed from the inside of the gatefold. On the real thing, there are no inner sleeves or plastic outer protector sleeves on any title. All the original sleeve notes, plus a few contemporaneous photos, publicity paperwork and the like are in the 270 page hardback book, along with Clinton's notes. There is barely any room for anything else in the box, although I have slipped in one of my card sleeve "Brandeis" releases between Tempest and Side Tracks.

Galley and Dave Gilmour's Cat like this.
  15. Richard--W

Hell and damnation, as my aunt used to say.

The gatefolds are only accessed from the inside, you say?

Kentucky, by way of Russia or Hong Kong evidently. A highly-rated ebay seller named __________.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  16. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Like this:-

[​IMG]

#

subtr likes this.
  17. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

What you say is true, EXCEPT for the "barely any room" statement. In the true original, with all original contents and book inside, if you push down with your finger, there is nearly an entire inch of empty space that one could slide more material in. If you have it very loose, the contents can fill that space, but there is actually room for much more. I can see that a used copy might come with mylar sleeves (in and out) because some collectors add those.

The price can be a good indicator of counterfeits. If it was a price too good to be true from a dealer that has more than one copy, I suspect a counterfeit

18. Richard--W

Somethings don't add up here. Could I have bought a used copy misrepresented as new. ¿Tribute, does your copy have gatefolds that load only from the inside? ¿does the book's spine have a black & orange-striped liner inside? do the CD's sit inside a black box inside the outer red box? is the color really pale on the cover art?

19. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

'Tis true that all gatefolds load CDs from the inside. "Tis true that SONY USA never offers inner sleeves. The book has "stitching" which appears at the top and bottom that might be described as black and orange, though I say red (same as the book cover red) with 6 reds and 6 blacks.

However, in the end, if this is indeed a counterfeit, you may not be badly off, depending on your goals. If it is a counterfeit and is real CD (not CDR), it is likely a perfectly adequate digital clone of the real box that will play just as well and give just as much musical enjoyment from a nice little package.

If you wanted an artifact that you might be able to resell some day, you would be less happy. I know that we all enjoy collectible items, but in the end, this box set in its SONY form is not really an original anyway. The LPs (and some later CDs) are the originals and much more satisfying to hold and enjoy as being a part of history.

P.S. By the way, those gatefold CDs in the box are a real pain in the ass to extract CDs from. They would be better loading as all the other mini-LP covers

And yes, the inner box is black resting in the red outer box.

Possibly, just possibly, a second pressing may have changed the gatefolds.

In the end, I bet the music is exactly the same, which is what really counts

20. popmat

popmat Forum Resident

This - one of the worst designs ever for CD packaging. I removed all the discs from all the 'doubles' and just bought white paper/plastic sleeves for each disc and then each disc is held within the actual gatefold. I have already ripped one of the gatefolds in trying to extract the CDs.

21. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Yep.

I took all of mine out of the sleeves — with no damage incurred — and they are all stored in a separate folder. I’d like to be able to store them as intended, but the packaging is just not practical. Great box set overall, though.

22. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I wish the later CDs were made in optional mini-LP covers to insert in the box. I did it for a few.

23. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Just buy the original Columbia CDs at knockdown prices, throw away all the CDs themselves (except for John Wesley Harding, of course), and there you have a complete set of serviceable CD sleeves for everything except Side Tracks.

Of course they'll take up a lot more room...

Dave Gilmour's Cat likes this.
  24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Or, buy the original pressings of all of the albums on vinyl, with covers in perfect condition, throw away the vinyl, and make up some 12 inch inserts to hold the CDs and slide 'em in.

25. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Excellent idea. That way, you even get to include Side Tracks. :)